7 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2012 8:10 PM by Curt Y RSS

Graphics Card spec

John_Picton Community Member

I am running Photoshop CS5 Extended and I am currently trying the Beta of CS6. I am currently using my onboard graphics card and whilst on the whole have been happy I realise that I am not using the system to the fullest. I am using a PC with a PCI-e slot. What sort of (low budget I am afraid) graphics card should I be looking for. Any suggestions (IE minimum ram etc - or even a product recommendation).

Cheers

John Picton

• 1. Re: Graphics Card spec
          Noel Carboni Community Member

I'm personally most fond of ATI as I believe they do a better job with releasing high quality drivers, but others like nVidia.  Personal experience figures a lot into recommendations.

Right now I'd specifically recommend the VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 6670 1 GB DDR5, as it doesn't draw too much power and won't tax your computer's power supply, yet delivers quite fast performance.

In general for Photoshop use I'd recommend getting a video card that has 1 GB of RAM or more and scores 1000 or higher on the PassMark benchmark:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

-Noel

• 2. Re: Graphics Card spec

Thanks for the input - that is very helpful.

Regards

John

• 3. Re: Graphics Card spec
              Ashvin Ghisyawan Community Member

Can I use CS5 on al Macbook Air (new one) with a i5 and Ati card?

Do I have to upgrade my memory?

Regards,
              Ashvin Ghisyawan

www.totaalfotografie.nl

• 4. Re: Graphics Card spec
                Trevor.Dennis MVP

John, can you tell us a bit about the rest of your system?   You should probably be looking to create a balanced system where components more or less match each other.  You should also think about your operating system.    Windows 7 64bit with at least 6Gb RAM is a good start, and as Noel said, 1Gb of DDR5 in your graphics card.  

But tell us about the rest of your system first.

BTW  I live about 30 kilometrea away from a town called Picton.

• 5. Re: Graphics Card spec

Hi Trevor - If you live near Picton I am assuming you are in New Zealand. I have never been but my neighbor is from near there.

My system is an AMD processor running at 3.2 Ghz with a triple core. I have 4GB of memory installed. I am running Windows 7 professional 64 bit.

It isn't the best system in the world - my other computer (which doesn't have Photoshop on it - I use it almost exclusively for recording) is a quad core system with 8GB memory - but still a bog standard graphics card.

Any suggestions you can make would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

John

• 6. Re: Graphics Card spec
                    Dsel Community Member

I'm looking at the PNY Quadro2000 nVIDEA it is recommended for the GPU acceleration function of photoshop……….I was lead to believe only nVIDEA supports this.

I am not sure if a pro or workstation card is better than a gaming card.  Leadtek also produce a version of this card Quadro2000 nVIDEA……. No idea what differance between the PNy and the Leadtek is as they are both nVIDEA?

It is a 1GB card also.

• 7. Re: Graphics Card spec
                      Curt Y Community Member

Dsel wrote:

I'm looking at the PNY Quadro2000 nVIDEA it is recommended for the GPU acceleration function of photoshop……….

PS CS6 uses Mecury Graphics Engine but not CUDA which I think you are refering to.

CUDA is used in some features with video in Premier Pro.