- File>new>blank file. Enter width=11.5", height=8.5", resolution 300 px/in., background=white.(I am assuming that you wish to use card stock of letter size, utilizing 1/2 the area for the graphic and the text.)
- For orientation, go to View>new guide, and place a guide at the half-way point. You can also use the grid.
- Open your image file and drag it to the canvas from the Project bin, or copy/paste
- Access the move tool,
- Position the image, and resize utilizing the corner handles of the bounding box
- Next, type your text and position it to suit. Be sure that the font color contrasts against the background, and that the pt size is adequate.
- You should have 3 layers: the background, the layer with the image, and the layer with text
- Go to File>print and enter size of paper, etc. in the dialog
Ideally, the resolution of the image and of the blank file created in step #1 should be the same value. If necessary, you can reduce the resolution to 240 px/in and still get a decent print.
The variance in brightness which you report between monitor and print output is probably related to calibration of your monitor.
Please report your progress