1 2 Previous Next 52 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2012 2:56 PM by Lundberg02

Dumb newbie color question.

Richard_M_1999

I have Photoshop CS4 64-bit running under Windows 7.  I recently bought a Canon Pro9000 MkII printer, and I got a pack of Canon Fine Art Museum Etching paper.  I followed the printing instructions described here to produce my first prints.  The Canon print driver includes an option to "preview" the image prior to committing it to (expensive) paper.  On the "preview" image, the color balance is waaay different to what I see on my Dell 22" (cheap) flat-screen monitor when editing the image in Photoshop.  The color balance on the subsequent printed image is closer to what I see on the preview image than when editing the image in Photoshop.  How do I address this?  I am a TOTAL dumb newbie, and I need somebody to answer this in words of one syllable....

Thanks in advance!...

• 1. Re: Dumb newbie color question.
          Curt Y Level 7

Your screen may not be calibrated so what you see is not what you get.

You can buy a screen calibration device.  At the minimium look on the web for color checkers and see what you colors look like with these programs.

• 2. Re: Dumb newbie color question.
            Richard_M_1999 Level 1

I thought about that.  But (1) if the screen calibration was the problem, then wouldn't the "print preview" image would look the same as the image in Photoshop?  Also (2) I exported the image to a png file and viewed it on my Mac, and the color balance looked simailar to the Photoshop (on Windows) image, and not at all like the "print preview" image.

Am I making sense?...

• 3. Re: Dumb newbie color question.
              Curt Y Level 7

Have you used the preview on printer for other printing?  If so how does it compare to preview or to PS?

Do you have the box checked to allow PS to set color or printer to set color?

Being thrifty, I would do the same paper setup with cheap paper and see what it looks like with a test print.  That way you can see what to believe.

• 4. Re: Dumb newbie color question.
                emil emil Level 4

EveryOtherScreenNameIsTak wrote:

I thought about that.  But (1) if the screen calibration was the problem, then wouldn't the "print preview" image would look the same as the image in Photoshop?

It depends on how the software displaying the preview and Photoshop are set to color manage the document. I'm not familiar with printer driver preview software as I don't use much desktop color printers but you have to make sure that if it is a color managed software it is set to display images in the same way as Photoshop. Basically this works by applying a color profile to the image or displaying the image with the same color space (profile) that describes the appearance of the colors so each device can interpret them as intended. But even after you synch different programs to match on your screen - if your screen doesn't display the colors correctly, you still may have different colors on the print.

• 5. Re: Dumb newbie color question.
                  Richard_M_1999 Level 1

Thanks Curt, I tried that.  If I save the image as a JPEG and use Photo

Viewer to view it, it looks exactly the same as it does in Photoshop.  If I

then start to print it using the same Canon print driver, and using exactly

the same print settings, then the preview looks exactly the same as the

image on Photoshop (and on Photo Viewer).

Of course, I generally abort the print job at that point and don't waste

paper.  But since (as I understand it) each of Canon's art papers comes

with its own color profile, I wanted to continue to do it this way to

minimize the number of variables.

On Photoshop's Print dialog box, I have "Color Handling:" set to "Photoshop

Manages Colors".  Is that what you are referring to?  Below this is a

warning "Remember to disable color management in the printer dialog box"

... in the Canon's printer driver settings, there is a box that says

"Disable the color profile setting of the application software" and I leave

that box unchecked.  Do you think that is correct?

• 6. Re: Dumb newbie color question.
                    Richard_M_1999 Level 1

I understand the concept of what you're saying, but not the mechanics of

how to put it into practice.  In any case, where you say* "if your screen

doesn't display the colors correctly, you still may have different colors

on the print" *I should emphasize that what I see qualitatively appears to

go way beyond the types of difference you are describing.

• 7. Re: Dumb newbie color question.
                      gator soup Level 4

Photoshop (Ps) is always displaying through a Source> Monitor profile Conversion (it reads an embedded profile and Converts it to the monitor profile)

"Photoshop Manages Color" workflow is supposed to work the same way (Source> Print profile) Ps reads an embedded profile and Converts it to the printer profile

remember: Ps can display the image correctly regardless of how right or wrong the printer is set up and VICE VERSA...

i would first look at, Ps File> Print dialog (post a screenshot of this window) be sure to capture your working settings especially Printer Profile

THAT WILL LIKELY NAIL THE PROBLEM (you cannot select a specific printer-paper-ink profile), but per your link, also include these two screenshots:

Picture 1.png

source: www.imaging-resource.com/PRINT/CP9KII/PRO9K2.HTM

• 8. Re: Dumb newbie color question.
                        gator soup Level 4

PS;

if you are actually able to select your SPECIFIC printer/paper/ink ICC profile for the paper you are using

try "soft proofing" the profile in Ps

View> Proof Setup> Custom> Device to Simulate: your specific print profile (the one you are using in Ps File> Print> Printer Profile)

at that point the soft proof should look very similar to what the printer is printing (or something else is going on)...

• 9. Re: Dumb newbie color question.
                          Bo LeBeau Level 4

You want either Photoshop or the printer to handle the color management. But NOT both or the colors will look terrible.

You said:

.. in the Canon's printer driver settings, there is a box that says

"Disable the color profile setting of the application software" and I leave

that box unchecked

Is this the exact wording? Because if you have Photoshop handle the color management you need to turn OFF color management somewhere in the Canon printer driver.

For a test, check the box you mentioned in the Canon printer driver while leaving selected "Photoshop manages color" in the Photoshop print dialog.

Does it print better?

In the link you provided, the Color Correction option in the Canon printer driver should be set to none.

While the screenshots and options will vary with differents operating systems and different printer drivers.

There should be some way to disable color management or (correction) in the printer driver.

Try all the different tabs