• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot rename some topics

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very large RH9 HTML project imported from Word. I need to rename some topics, but it cannot be done. On the Project pod, some of the topics produce context menus including the Rename function but others produce much shorter menus that do not include Rename (or Copy or several other items). The topics with the shorter context menu also have the topic filename and title grayed out on the Properties dialog; those whose context menus include Rename allow changes on the Properites dialog. There is nothing different from one topic to the next. So I can rename some topics but not others. Can someone help me? This is very frustrating.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

Are any of these topics created by virtue of linking to Word?

In case you are unclear, before you decide to work with Word content, you make a decision. Do I want to simply import the content where what was once only edited in Word is sucked inside RoboHelp and I now forget it ever existed as a Word document. From here forward, if changes need to be made, I make them using RoboHelp.

Or do I want or need to contiue editing the Word document and simply update the RoboHelp Topics that were created from the document from time to time as the Word document is edited and changes.

So how exactly are you working with this?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to link, but my original Word document was so large that I ended up importing and maintaining in RoboHelp. Understand that this project is enormous.

But could it be that I can rename the topics created in RoboHelp but not those from Word? (This just occurred to me.)

CONTINENTAL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I'll bite.

Describe enormous. Click Tools > Reports > Project Status and tell us how many topics the Total Topics area presents.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

769 topics. Started with a 1200-page Word document (don’t even ask—not my idea, although I wrote the document).

CONTINENTAL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per my earlier email—I have checked, and some of the topics that I know came in directly from Word have the longer context menu including Rename, while others that I know I have created since do not have the longer context menu.

CONTINENTAL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where's this project located? Any Source Control involved? Got enough rights?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No source control involved. In-house project for in-house-developed suite of applications. Everything on my C drive (although I back up to network weekly).

CONTINENTAL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C: as in c:\projects\project_name\ ? Shorter is better ;>)

Also, what o/s? Do you have local admin rights to your own c:\ drive? (It's not automatic with Win7 or Vista like it was in XP)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7. “C” as in . The path that RH created for me. Not my own administrator, but don’t see what that would affect, since as I say, some topics I can rename and some I can’t.

This was originally intended to be a programmers’ reference; never intended to be online help. In fact, I told them when I started that online help was something different. Two-plus years later, had to turn into user help.

CONTINENTAL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 Professional, to be exact.

CONTINENTAL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For reasons not clear, pathname didn’t come over in my email. Let me quote it and see if that works:

“Windows 7. C as in .”

CONTINENTAL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it came across again - you're probably referring to the default "My RoboHelp Projects" folder - it's usually really deep in the path length & you can end up with some really long paths to your topics. That's why the projects folder off the root is "best practices."

I don't remember if you mentioned if you can mess around with a new topic you create in the project or not. You might also try playing with one of the sample projects to see if you're experiencing the same effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry—we had a shower over lunch. ANYWAY:

1. Sample project has correct context menu on all topics tested.

2. All topics, when looked at in Explorer, have the same (security) permissions, whether created from Word or created in RH. I have complete permissions to all of them.

3. Thought it might have to do with length of filename—nope—no correlation.

4. Thought it might have to do with conditional tags—nope—no correlation.

CONTINENTAL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Check the rhworddocs.apj in notepad. Perhaps there’s some garbage left over from your original tries. This is a desperate guess, as this is all I can think of. You can try the following:

1. Backup your project.

2. Create a blank project and paste the rhworddocs.apj from the new project in your project.

3. Delete project CPD.

4. Open project.

Now all references to linked word documents should be completely removed.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp