• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to get a Font Manager for OS X - Lion

Participant ,
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what the best ones are out there right now. Previously used Suitcase on our G5. Is FontExplorer X the best one out there now? Thanks,

OS X 10.7.3

Mac Pro

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Font book , In my opinion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Font Book that comes with OSX? I don't think so. I tried using that and it throws up flags at just about every font I try to install into it. Not cool. That is.. on Lion. It actually works pretty well on 10.5 but it's unusable under 10.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I htink we can agree that Font Book is not real font management software and doesn't fill the need that the other mentioned software packages address, I'm concerned by:

TwitchOSX wrote:

Font Book that comes with OSX? I don't think so. I tried using that and it throws up flags at just about every font I try to install into it. Not cool. That is.. on Lion. It actually works pretty well on 10.5 but it's unusable under 10.7

Font Book is a really simple tool that copies fonts into your /Library/Fonts folder and provides a little bit of info about them. If it is "throwing up flags" they are probably real problems. Can you please give us an example, ideally with screenshots and maybe analysis from other tools?

I would strongly suspect there is a problem with your fonts if Font Book complains. Indeed, the concerns I have heard are typically the reverse -- that Font Book is not strict enough!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lets try this. How about everybody that looks at this thread posts what program they are using for Font Management and how happy they are with it? That might give us an idea of what people are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No font management. All fonts open all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using FontAgent Pro for years now, and have never had any issues, and it works just great on my Lion machine. I give  it two thumbs up.

Cheers!

Mikey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. Thanks for the reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suitcase Fusion 4 was just released. 30 day demo available and worth checking out.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somebody said that Fusion was crud compared to FontExplorer.... but I just wanted to see what everybody was using...

@ Steve: Even if you have multiple hundreds of fonts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put "suitcase fusion" into the search box for this forum.

Happy with the results? I think not.

I moved to Linotype Font Explorer X Pro and have not regretted it. However, I have not moved to Lion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TwitchOSX wrote:

Somebody said that Fusion was crud compared to FontExplorer.... but I just wanted to see what everybody was using...

@ Steve: Even if you have multiple hundreds of fonts?

Yes. Somewhere between 500 and 1000 (I've never bothered counting). Mac OS X handles it very well. The only (slight) disadvantage I've found is that when I open Word, it sometimes takes 10-15 seconds to scan the font list. Otherwise, no problems at all. All the Adobe apps handle it like a champ!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 21, 2012 Apr 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... opinions on Font Managers...

Where's Buko when you need him?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I recall, Buko was always a big fan of FAP...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Buko, would talk about how great it was at every possible opportunity. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2012 Apr 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Must say its Font Explorer Pro (FEP) for me! (MacPro OSX 10.6.8 Indesign Creative Suite 4, Indesign 5.5)

When I first started this job they had suitcase and I found that program really limiting. But I also had never used it before and knew very little about it.

FEP has many things that I like about it.

1. Although most people lean away from font auto activation the one that comes with FEP has been working real smooth, a few second delay when opening files while it starts what font is required.

2. Font Preview is amazing, select the fonts you want to compare with a typeface you have and you have transparent view and slide show.

3. Font Groups: Where you can put all fonts for particular jobs into smart sets.

4. Search files and discover which fonts where used inside that file and save that as a font set

5. There is also a server version of the program (we do not have but would like to "anyone from FontExplorer listening donations accepted ")

6. Application Sets: Really handy for auto activating fonts used only in certain programs.

7. Good Conflict control.

The list could possibly go on and on, in other words, love FEP and highly recommend it.

@ Steve

As I remember it the more fonts you have loaded on a computer the slower or less resources it has to use, I have always been led to believe, keep it slim and fast. I have 1000's of fonts but only around 200 activated at any one time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2013 Jan 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

+1 on these..

I agree with all the ups you have cited..been using FEP for 2 years, too, since from CS4 suite to CS6,.and from Microsoft Office 2008 for mac to 2011.,
Very well said..
Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines