5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2012 6:53 PM by seaneee RSS

Tons of Script Errors and Slow Redraw

seaneee Community Member

I recently setup CS 5.5 with Bridge 4.1.0.54 on a new MacBook Pro.

When I launch Bridge I get the following messages:

screenshot 2012-03-01 at 9.52.34 PM.jpg

screenshot 2012-03-01 at 10.05.04 PM.jpg

screenshot 2012-02-29 at 3.11.44 PM.jpg

I'm confident of a few things. First, it's obviously somewhat related to this issue:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3083307

Second, it has nothing to do with CFS or Samba shares.

Lastly, the error has something to do with the output module script- if I startup without it on, no errors.

Currently I have my MBP setup with two drives. A SSD for the system software and a second SATA drive for content. All my system software is on the SSD boot drive, however, my users folder is split between the two. Everything but ~/users/xxx/library is symbolicly linked on the second drive.

If you look closely at the thread referenced above, all the errors are the same except for the "could not create" error. In the thread, it lists a specific user, my error lists Volumes/Null/...

Here is what I've tried so far:

Reset the app

Trashed the prefs

Started up w/o scripts

reinstalled the entire CS 5.5 Suite after Uninstalling and using the cleaner tool

To add insult to injury, When the output script is off and bridge does load, it does it painfully slow to the point where it is not usalbe. It is also having a ton of redraw issues.

Any advice?

• 1. Re: Tons of Script Errors and Slow Redraw
          Omke Oudeman Community Member

To add insult to injury, When the output script is off and bridge does load, it does it painfully slow to the point where it is not usalbe. It is also having a ton of redraw issues.

Any advice?

Not sure, don't use Lion myself yet (still to many problems for me) and also have no experience with SSD.

However to me it seems related to the library and application split.

I know next to nothing about splitting user library with symbolic links apart from the fact that it takes good knowledge and careful maintenance

Personally I would have both system and application software on the SSD including the user library and have the Bridge cache files and image content located on the second disk. If possible for space even make two partitions on the SSD and assign the second partition as primary scratch disk for PS and the second disk as secondary scratch disk.

There are two files used by Bridge and PS that can grow to huge proportions but both files can be relocated to an other folder or even an other disk.

In Bridge preferences cache tab you can set a new location for the Bridge preview cache files (this is the fastest growing file) and also in Bridge you can select Camera Raw preferences and select a new location for the Raw cache. But the latter is also able to limit its size and if you have set to write Camera Raw Cache to sidecar XMP (the default setting) you can do with a very small amount inhere.

And from the list you already have tried I do miss the check and repair permissions.

• 2. Re: Tons of Script Errors and Slow Redraw
            seaneee Community Member

Thanks for the reply. Currently, here is how the disks are setup

SSD:

OS Software (library,stem,etc)

Applications

Users Folder with:

~/Library

~/Public

~/Sites

HD:

Second Users Folder with

~/desktop

~/documents

~/movies

~/music

~/downloads

~/pictures

This second disk also acts as a scratch disk for Photoshop

I've purged Caches and definitely repaired permissions a few times.

• 3. Re: Tons of Script Errors and Slow Redraw
              Omke Oudeman Community Member

Thanks for the reply. Currently, here is how the disks are setup

Seems normal to me, maybe Desktop should also be at the SSD but the other ones should be able to do their work properly. I use custom folders for my images and barely use the pictures folder. However iPhoto, Lightroom and Aperture store their libraries by default in the Pictures folder but they should not effect PS I would think.

Did you try a new user account just for testing to see if Bridge works well in this user account?

And what are the sizes of your disks and how much free space have you left (less then 10 % is almost a certainty to bring you in trouble)

Having a new MBP should be expected to meet the the minimum specs but how much RAM have you installed?

And do you use Lion and did you update to current 7.3 already?

• 4. Re: Tons of Script Errors and Slow Redraw
                seaneee Community Member

Update.

Errors are now gone, all scripts load without issue.

New problem. Adobe Output Module, the script/extension in question now loads without error, but the panel in the actual bridge app is blank.

screenshot 2012-04-20 at 6.55.36 PM.jpg

I tried all sorts of stuff that I won't totally get into. Some of which included moving library and user library files from a working machine and changing ownership. What ultimately got rid of the errors was renaming the extensions folder in the root level to something arbitrary. Launching bridge, quitting then renaming the folder to the original name. Then launching bridge with a reset.

Everything works except output, which shows up, but as you can see above, is blank.

I used DeltaWalker to compare my Application Support folders to another machines Application Support folders to see if anything was missing or different. The only errors I received were date/time creatiion differences. There were a couple byte differences, but this was to plist files and the like.

So I'm stuck at this point. Starting to think this is some sort of error with another adobe extension or missing file. Maybe an invisible one?

• 5. Re: Tons of Script Errors and Slow Redraw
                  seaneee Community Member

I think I may have found a workaround.

I've been racking my brain over the past few days to figure this one out. I've tried at least a dozen permsissions fixes, both through the apple utility and manually. I've reinstalled both bridge and CS 5.5 three times using the cleaner script and a fresh install. NOTHING.

So I went back to the original error message:

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-4241114-167988/450-232/screenshot+2012-03-01+at+9.52.34+PM.jpg

One thing I noticed was that everytime Bridge was starting, it created a folder in /volumes called "null". I checked three other macs setup the same was as mine and NONE of them created this folder during bridge startup.

I still have not figured out why my laptop is doing this.

However, I looked at the error and it seemed that bridge was looking for a path that didn't exists, which was /volumes/null/Adobe/Adobe Bridge CS5.1/Adobe Output Module/Mediagallery

the path Adobe/Adobe Bridge CS5.1/... is the same path as my ~/library/application support/... folder for adobe.

First I created a regular alias to that folder to create the fake path. No dice. Then I tried a symlink to creat the fake path /volumes/null/Adobe/Adobe Bridge CS5.1/Adobe Output Module/Mediagallery

Voila. Worked like a charm. I can now start up Bridge without any errors, script errors, etc. I also have all the functionality of my Output panel back and I'm able to use it without getting the insufficiant disk space error.

Now to figure out why Bridge is creating a "Null" folder.