24 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2012 5:27 PM by Stan Jones RSS

Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated

JamesValis Community Member

I'm working with Encore CS5.1

I've got a Blu-ray project that has a number of slideshows in the special features section.  The images aew PSD files of varying sizes and aspect ratios all larger than 1920 x 1080.

I am having Encore "scale and apply matte".

The slideshows look great in the preview of the Blu-ray build as does the High Def content but when I Build the project and burn the disc the playback of the images are all pixelated but all other content looks fine.

The program seems to be doing the scaling fine for the preview but not the build.  Is there any way around this problem?

I've researched the forums on this and past discussions have revolved around previous version of Encore and the solution was to manually do the re-sizing in Photoshop or some other program.  This problem strikes me as a bug though because the images look fine in preview or it is DUE - Dreaded User Error.  Hopefully it is the latter and one of you can point me in the right direction.  Manually resizing all the images in Photoshop, rebuilding the slideshows and creating a new Blu-ray disc is not a task I relish.

Thanks,

James

• 1. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated

I did a test slide show and it still is giving me the same pixelated image.  It is as if it is processing all of the slideshow images at DVD quality as opposed to HD.

I did a simple Slideshow with four slides.

I took the first slide and Resized it in Photoshop so that it is a 1920 x 1080 PSD.  It looks great in Photoshop.

I replaced the image in my simple slideshow project and created a Blu Ray DVD folder.  On playback it has the same pixelated look.

I tried it with a jpg and got the same thing.

So, it is a bug or I am missing some option that governs the quality of Slideshow Blu-ray output.

I look forward to any and all feedback.

• 2. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated
            Stan Jones CommunityMVP

You're not telling us what your transcode settings are, so that is the first place to look.

Use your test slide show and set it to H.264 CBR 30Mbps.

• 3. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated

The slideshows are part of a larger blu-ray project.  The project settings for transcoding are the default for 1920X1080 which are(I'm at home now and not in front of my work machine so I'm working from memory)  quality - automatic, MPEG2, 15 Mbps.  The HD video looks great with those settings.  The preview of the slideshow looks great.  I can find no place to change transcode settings for the Slideshow portion of the project.

While further researching this problem I noticed in the help files that Encore creates an FLV file for slidesshows for ease of playback.  That is exactly what the final slideshow looks like - lousy FLV (all blocky).  I then did a quick test - I created a timeline and placed the PSD files on the timeline (same transcode settings as above) and made a DVD folder out of that.  The results look good.

Unless there is a way to specify the transcode settings for Slide Shows aside from the project settings I'm going to kill the slideshows and just use the timeline method.

Thanks for your suggestions!

• 4. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated
                Stan Jones CommunityMVP

I don't think anyone has provided a definitive statement about what Encore is doing here.

I just did 2 quick tests, and the default transcode settings do not appear to affect the slides.

H.264 defaults; used PSDs at 1920x1080.

Encore exports one m2ts per slide. They are the size of the default transcode setting, but the rate does not appear to vary: max 12Mbps no matter what project default max I set.

The source images were not very good, but looked fine.

What do you have as the default transcode?

I think you probably need to resize in Photoshop.

Look for one of Hunt's posts where he describes some of his methods.

• 5. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated
                  the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

James,

As Encore is not an Image Editing program, I would do ALL Scaling in Photoshop. Depending on your exact Images, choosing the Scaling algorithm Bicubic Smoother, or Bicubic Sharper, should yield much better results.

This ARTICLE, will give you tips on using Automate>Batch, to Scale entire folders of Image with Actions in Photoshop.

I think that you will like the results better.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Doing the Save_As PSD from PS is a good step. Too many will chose  JPEG, which compresses, and degrades the resultant Image. Do not change that.

• 6. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated

Bill, 

I did look at that article.  Based on that article and your suggestions I scaled and resized the images to match the project (1920 x 1080) and told Encore to "Do nothing".  Still the same results.

Stan,

Unfortunately I am home for the weekend so I'm not in front of my machine but the project(s) have been a default setup Blu-ray project; 1920 x 1080, 15Mpbs, MPEG2, with transcode settings set to default.

Is there a way to specify different transcode settings for different elements of a project?  My main project is a rather large one with 2 x 90 min HD movies, 2 x 3 min HD videos, 2 x 5 min. SD videos and 6 Slide Shows.  Everything looks great except for the Slide Shows which look, frankly, horrible.  The images are very blocky - bad FLV look.

I did a test project with just 4 PSD images.  That is where I experimented with different options.  Even when the images are scaled to 1920 x 1080 in photoshop and exported as PSD's, PNG's, or JPG's and the scaling in Encore is set to "do nothing" the result is the same - blocky images.  Note:  In preview they look great.  It is only when you BUILD the show does the bad look appear.  (I've built the show to Blu-ray, and I've done it to a Blu-ray folder and used software to play it - in all cases the images appear blocky).

There are no pan or zooms or effects between images in the Slideshows - just straight cuts.

If I do everything the same (same default blu-ray project and transcode settings) and I place the images (original hi res PSD's) on a timeline INSTEAD of in a slideshow everything looks just fine.  It scales it well.

The best I can tell (I've done bug testing for other software) is that this is a bug unless there is some sort of property I can change to alter the Slideshow settings..  It is repeatable and easily re-created.  Is there a way to post bugs for the Adobe people?

I am working on Encore 5.1, Win7, 64 bit.

Thanks for your suggestions.

James

• 7. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated
                      ram8kumar Community Member

I didn't read the entire thread but I can tell one bug of En here which might be causing trouble here. The slideshow quality with MPEG 1920 is very bad. Try to use H264 codec instead of MPEG (if you are not doing so already)

-Ramesh.

• 8. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated
                        marshalljohns1 Community Member

Having the exact same problem. need help before mothers day!!

• 9. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated

You might try the suggestion of changing the transcode settings to H264.

In my case I made a video of the slideshow in an editing program and then used that video on a timeline with chapter points for each slide change to make it work like a slide show

• 10. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated

I have changed the transcode settings but this didnt help.

i can import pics to a slideshow and they look great. if i add a transition and or random pan and zoom they still look great. But once i render the slideshow they stretch a little and become very pixelated. its the way the render that causes the problem. what settings can i change that will fix that?

I have never had this problem on older versions on Encore.

using Encore CS5.1

windows 7 64bit

building a BluRay disc

• 11. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated

I think it is a bug.  I don't know of any avenue to formally report it though.

• 12. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated
                                Stan Jones CommunityMVP

bug report (and feature request) form

Have any of you tested which versions this applies to?

• 13. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated
                                  Jeff Bellune CommunityMVP

A couple of obvious things to check, just in case.

1. Is the Monitor panel in Encore set to "Fit"?  If so, try 100%
                                  2. Are all of the images at least HD resolution, 1920x1080?
                                  3. Are you trying to use images in a Blu-ray project that has been changed from a DVD project?

Jeff

• 14. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated

Jeff

1- yes

2- above 1920x1080

3- Blu-ray from the start

I have burned two discs and they come out pixelated and blurry on that as well.

I have finally resorted to using Windows Live Movie Maker for slideshows and then importing the movie in to Encore. It was a relief to be able to do that.  W.L.M.M. actually makes a nice slideshow with plenty of features that Encore should have!!!!!

thanks for the help everyone.

• 15. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated
                                      glennado Community Member

1. Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?  We're seeing it in CS5, CS5.5 and CS6.  Our images are 1920x1080, and we've tried both PSD and JPG.

I assume only the pixel dimensions matter, and not ppi, right?  I assume color profile shouldn't matter for resolution/quality either, but fwiw, we've tried Rec. 709 for PSD images, and sRGB for jpegs.

2. For those who've done the workaround of pre-making and importing a slideshow, how do you prevent each "slide" from advancing before the user is ready?  I don't want them to advance after any amount of time, unless the user clicks the Next button.

Thanks!

• 16. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated
                                        Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Thanks for reporting re versions.

You don't say, re Ramesh's post 7; mpeg2? h.264?

• 17. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated

Ah, sorry.  The folks doing the encoding used mpeg2 for its better quality at high bitrates (our video program isn't so long, so  we don't have to go with the more compressed h.264).  I don't think we can (or want to) have all the video re-encoded.

Is this the problem? Do slideshows just not work well with mpeg2 projects?

• 18. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated
                                            Stan Jones CommunityMVP

The folks doing the encoding used mpeg2 for its better quality at high bitrates (our video program isn't so long, so  we don't have to go with the more compressed h.264).  I don't think we can (or want to) have all the video re-encoded.

Is this the problem? Do slideshows just not work well with mpeg2 projects?

I think that's a "yes." I assume not "projects," just the slideshow. Ramesh will confirm.

I would re-encode a sample slideshow to see what you get. I don't think length was an issue for showing the problem.

Re your  previous question ("For those who've done the workaround of pre-making and importing a slideshow, how do you prevent each "slide" from advancing before the user is ready?  I don't want them to advance after any amount of time, unless the user clicks the Next button."), the workaround is to create a video slideshow. You don't get the slideshow controls. Post 9, James is placing chapter points at EACH slide. It wasn't clear to me whether the viewer could stay on a slide past a max time.

• 19. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated

Thanks so much, Stan.  I'm not doing the actual work, so I didn't know you could have both h.264 and mpeg2 items on the same Blu-ray.  Cool.  Potentially. 

• 20. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated

So unless I misunderstood, the folks doing the Blu-ray don't see an option in Encore for choosing h.264 *just* for the slideshow.  Rather, it's a master project setting.  Right?  And if so, what happens if you have video assets in an h.264 project which have already been encoded as mpeg2 files?

Thanks!

Message was edited by: glennado

• 21. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated
                                                  Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Yes, I believe the project setting for default transcode is used for the slideshow and motion menus that require rendering. But you can set any other asset to be transcoded with your choice; and those or already transcoded assets that are BD compliant are not changed.

I wonder if there is more flexibiility?

• 22. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated

Great, thanks, will pass it on, and report back how it goes.

• 23. Re: Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated

It worked. Thank you again, Stan!