3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2012 11:10 AM by Howard Pinsky RSS

Bug: 3D Lighting Duplication

Howard Pinsky CommunityMVP

I may have found a bug in regards to 3D Lights.

Steps to reproduce:

- Opened an image in Photoshop CS6 Beta.

- Created a standard text layer.

- Extruded the text.

- In the 3D Panel, I selected the default Infinite Light 1.

- In the Properties Panel, I clicked on the Custom dropdown to choose a new preset.

- Selecting any of the presets created a new light, and in some cases, 2 new lights.

Expected behavior:

Choosing a preset should change the current light's properties, rather than adding a new light.

• 1. Re: Bug: 3D Lighting Duplication

Anyone else able to confirm this behavior?

• 2. Re: Bug: 3D Lighting Duplication
            Pete.Green Employee Hosts

Hi Howard,

When selecting a light preset it changes the lights for the scene you're working in, including altering the lights (and amount of them) that are there.

For instance, if you start with a basic Infinite (default) light then switch to the Fire preset, you'll notice 2 lights now, and the colors and settings of both lights has been adjusted to create the Fire preset.

So it does change the current light's color, as well as adding a new second light with a color to get the desired effect intended by the preset.

Moving from there, Select the Hard Lights preset --

Now you have 3 lights, all of them different color from the Fire colors (which were reds and orange, and now all 3 are grays)

Is this not what you're seeing Howard?

Thanks!

Pete

• 3. Re: Bug: 3D Lighting Duplication

Yep, this is what I'm experiencing, though it doesn't seem like that should be the behavior. Usually, when selecting a custom preset with an active layer/element, it changes the properties of that layer/element.

For instance, If I add a Curves Adjustment Layer, and choose a custom preset, it doesn't add a new Curves Adjustment Layer. It simply updates the current selected one.

To the average user, if they wanted to add a new light, they would use the New Light button, then select a preset, if desired.

If this behavior is 'as designed', the label should read something like "New Light from Preset". Nothing tells the average user that selecting a preset will add a new light.