11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2012 6:53 PM by Wade_Zimmerman RSS

tween (blend) two items at once

aminamoreau Community Member

hey,

so i have two blends in one document. when i export to swf, there doesn't seem to be a way to get them to play concurrently in the file - they play consecutively. is there a way to get around this?

also, i have a path set to multiply, but when blended it seems to go to normal. does the blend tool not support layer (blending modes) modes?

thanks!

• 1. Re: tween (blend) two items at once
          JETalmage Community Member

You can blend between Groups. So instead of making two blends like this:

Object1>>>Object2

Object3>>>Object4

You can make one blend like this:

GroupA(Object1, Object3)>>>GroupB(Object2, Object4).

This may or may not be suitable for your artwork. If it doesn't, the thing to do would be to create two separate animations as Flash Symbols, and then use Flash to put them in the same movie and have them start at the same time.

It makes sense that Blends would convert to frames that play in sequence, because each blend can have a different number of steps. Otherwise, the interface would have to provide means by which you specify how the steps of the different Blends synchronize.

JET

• 2. Re: tween (blend) two items at once
            Wade_Zimmerman Community Member

What I believe you have to do is actually manually take eacch path of the second segment of the blend and place them in the corresponding layer of the path of the first section layered build and then export as a swf so that the paths are playing at the same time.

So you release the first section as a layer build then manually or perhaps with the script populate the corresponding layer in that build.

Or do this in with flash or after effects

• 3. Re: tween (blend) two items at once

thanks guys. so here are a few notes:

JETaImage > i tried grouping before but it was essentially getting rid of my transparency (i have the items set to multiply). so i tried flattening the transparency but then it started changing my shapes. i've included diagrams of the 3 approaches i've taken.

Wade > i'm actually not sure what you mean. i've tried keeping all objects in the same layer but they still play consecutively. i also don't have flash or aftereffects on this machine.

my diagram:

1.  i tried doing in groups. ended up canceling my "multiply".

3.  flattened transparency. gave me wonky tween images (as seen in the bottom row). bottom row consists of 3rd tween in series pulled from blend.

2.  nothing is grouped. i have the brown line blended and the orange block blended individually.

NB:  as a side note, why does my orange block change shape in 1 and 2? i just want it to curve slightly, and not turn into an entirely new polygon.

ADOBEFORUM.jpg

• 4. Re: tween (blend) two items at once

Can you post a screen shot of waaht you want the first frame and the last frame to look like?

• 5. Re: tween (blend) two items at once

like this. thanks!

ADOBEFORUM2.jpg

• 6. Re: tween (blend) two items at once

Ok so this is what I did I made

1. one path with two strokes

2 made the top stroke orange and gave it a transparency

3. increase the stroke

4. gave it dash settings so I only had a portion showing ( yopu hight be able to do this actually by using the transform effect and using the scaling feature decrease the length

5. then copied and pasted in front and curved the path and adjusted the transform and the dash (as I worte before you might not need to make a dash line but just scale the width of that stroke.

6. Then made the blend

7. This is important I then released to layers sequence

and I got this (I don't know why it is so big from my server?)

http://www.wadezimmerman.com/videos/bentline.swf

• 7. Re: tween (blend) two items at once

settings for the first art to give you an idea

Screen Shot 2012-04-21 at 11.31.14 PM.png

Dash settingss

Screen Shot 2012-04-22 at 12.08.44 AM.png

For the second which must be on top of the strat path art

Screen Shot 2012-04-21 at 11.41.02 PM.png

the dash settings

Screen Shot 2012-04-21 at 11.41.12 PM.png

the layers

Screen Shot 2012-04-21 at 11.43.40 PM.png

• 8. Re: tween (blend) two items at once

I checked it out you can do it without the dash line bu that requires a warp effect as well as a transform for the curved path. I can post screen shots if you want to try that approach.

• 9. Re: tween (blend) two items at once
                          JETalmage Community Member

>...i tried flattening the transparency but then it started changing my shapes...

Flattening transparency performs Boolean operations (add, subtract, intersect, etc,) on the original objects to create a new set of objects which only appear to be translucent. So you are dealing with a different set of paths after flattening transparency. The result of a Blend is very dependent upon number of objects involved, object stacking order, number of anchorPoints in each path involved, and winding direction of those paths. That's why predictable Blends are constructed from carefully-drawn paths, keeping those factors in mind; not from the results of automated "shortcut" features like autotracing, flattening, etc.

(...as a side note, why does my orange block change shape in 1 and 2?)

I don't know what the bottom row of images is supposed to depict. But it will have to do with one of the factors mentioned above (winding direction, etc.)

Sample (3K)

JET

• 10. Re: tween (blend) two items at once

thanks very much guys. give these a try. next time i'll probably use a different program though... 

• 11. Re: tween (blend) two items at once

BTW someone else asked if you can if you can make a movie out of the swf file and the answer is yes both in After Effects and Preneire Pro excellent results.