• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make cfschedule run daily but random hours

Participant ,
Apr 21, 2012 Apr 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running a cfschedule at "daily" intervals, but is there anyway to get it to execute at random hours not every 24th hour from when i initially set it to run?

So say I set it daily, how can I get it execute on a random hour in the day as opposed to every 24th day?

The same applies for monthly, how can I get it execute on a random day monthly as opposed to every 30th day?

my code now:

<cfschedule action = "update"

task = "sendit"

operation = "HTTPRequest"

url = "http://xyz.com/xyz/xyz.cfm"

startDate = "#DateFormat(now(),'mmmm, dd, yyyy')#"

startTime = "#TIMEFORMAT(now(),'hh:mm:ss')#"

interval = "daily"

resolveURL = "Yes"

requestTimeOut = "600">

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run the job at the start of the day/month.  However, amend the file being run to sleep for a random period of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldnt that skip it from executing if the schedule executes when the page is sleeping?

Or will it just subtract the sleeping seconds?

Also is this how you put a page to sleep,

<cfset thread = CreateObject("java", "java.lang.Thread")><cfflush> <cfset thread.sleep(5000)>

Also to get this to work so that its a random time daily, wouldn't I have to set the schedule to run for a certain amount of seconds as opposed to daily...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2012 Apr 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run the job at the start of the day/month.  However, amend the file being run to sleep for a random period of time.

That would tie up a thread whilst the thing is sleeping.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding, "That would tie up a thread whilst the thing is sleeping."

Good point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running a cfschedule at "daily" intervals, but is there anyway to get it to execute at random hours not every 24th hour from when i initially set it to run?

Why do you want to do this?

You could use the task code to update its own schedule each time it runs to be rescheduled for an random hour the following day.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm setting a random reminder to be sent throughout the day,  but it shouldn't be sent at the exact time each day...

Im not an expert,  are we saying the other method isn't good?

@adam In terms of changing the schedule itself to do this what attribute should I be looking into it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just do a <cfschedule action="update"> with the new values (I don't think one can specify just a subset to upate, it'll need to be the whole lot, but do some experiementation...

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which new values? I currently have it set running daily. What value would randomize the hour in the day it gets executed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on: try to think through what I'm suggesting.

You have this:

task =
"sendit"
    operation =
"HTTPRequest"
    url =
"http://xyz.com/xyz/xyz.cfm"
    startDate =
"#DateFormat(now(),'mmmm, dd, yyyy')#"
    startTime =
"#TIMEFORMAT(now(),'hh:mm:ss')#"
    interval =
"daily"
    resolveURL =
"Yes"
    requestTimeOut =
"600">

Which is not just "running daily", it's "running daily AT A SPECIFIC TIME". So you've coded the task to run @ #TIMEFORMAT(now(),'hh:mm:ss')# each day.  What you want to do is to reschedule it (UPDATE it) to run at #some random time of your choosing#.

So you recode xyz.cfm to do this:

1) whatever it does now

2) PLUS a call to reschedule the task for the following day at #some random time#.

Indeed if you take this approach, wherein you specifically schedule each event, you probably want to just have an interval of ONCE, rather than daily.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@adam and @BKBK

Putting it all together, it seems to me a viable solution would be:

1. Running the first cfschedule to execute xyz.cfm every 48 hours.

2. Putting a cfschedule inside of xyz.cfm that has an action of UPDATE, interval of DAILY with a randomly outputted "starttime" hour which will run every 24 hours.

So basically the first schedule runs and then opens the second schedule which has the random output, but since the first schedule will run again every other day it will trigger the second schedule to update itself and produce another random hour as opposed to caching it...

Does that make sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I am having a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suppose, the task has to fire once daily, at a random time. Take a one-week period (illustrated below).

|x...........|......x.....|...........x|.x..........|x...........|...........x|.....x......|

Then the interval between successive task executions could be as short as a few minutes(such as between days 3 and 4), or as long as 2 days(such as between days 5 and 6). Thought I'd share the thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean.

I think i should be able to set up the random hour variable so that it's always between x amount of hours as opposed to the entire 24 hour period to avoid that problem.

Ill have to play with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am curious to know whether the following idea works. The tasks are to be run in this order:

setTime.cfm

task = "setTime"

url = "http://127.0.0.1:8500/cfscheduleTest/randomTime.cfm"

startDate = "4/21/2012"

startTime = "00:00"

interval = "daily">

randomTime.cfm

<cfset randomHour = randRange(0,23,"SHA1PRNG")><!--- Random integer in range [0,23] --->

<cfset application.randomTime = randomHour & ":15">

<!--- Schedule the task--->

<!---<cfhttp method="get" url="http://127.0.0.1:8500/cfscheduleTest/task.cfm">--->

<cfinclude template="task.cfm">

task.cfm

<cfparam name="application.randomTime" default="9:15">

task = "runner"

url = "http://127.0.0.1:8500/cfscheduleTest/xyz.cfm"

startDate = "4/21/2012"

startTime = "#application.randomTime#"

interval = "daily"

resolveURL = "Yes"

requestTimeOut = "600">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't need to be that complicated.  Here's an example of a task which reschedules itself at a random time between 1-5min hence.

<!--- randomInteral.cfm --->

<cfset dRunTime = dateAdd("n", randRange(1,5), now())>

<cfset sRunTime = timeFormat(dRunTime, "HH:MM")>

<cflog file="randomIntervalExperiment" text="Ran task. Next run @ #sRunTime#">

<cfschedule

action                    = "update"

interval          = "once"

operation          = "HTTPRequest"

startdate          = "#dateFormat(now(), 'mm/dd/yy')#"

starttime          = "#sRunTime#"

task                    ="randomInterval"

url                              = "http://localhost:8301/shared/CF/CFML/tags/other/schedule/randomInterval.cfm"

>

For your purposes, you'd need to vary it to increment the startdate by one, as well as setting the start time to be a random hour (rather than just 1-5min).  But that's the basic gist of what you want to do.

I just did 1-5min in my example so I could actually test the veracity of my suggestions (without having to wait until tomorrow ;-)), rather than just guess...

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both.

A little off topic, is there any reason why a cfschedule won't delete. I used:

<cfschedule  action = "delete"

task = "sendreminder">

But the task just keeps on executing. I'm contacting the web host now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lovewebdev wrote:

task = "sendreminder">

Are you sure the code is in a CFM page under the same application? Just in case the scheduler thread was held up, I would keep running the delete code till ColdFusion tells me the task sendreminder cannot be found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

task = "sendreminder">

That syntax works for me, so if it's not working for you, there's something else afoot.  However you are deleting a task called "sendreminder" there, and in your earlier code, it was called "sendit".  Are you sure you're trying to delete the correct task?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the task name is correct. I'm finding out from the hosting company why its not deleting. Aargh. Maybe it hung somehow. Dont know.

Also, I'm trying to sort of lock access to the CFM task page so that it doesnt get executed randomly or by google so in the url for the cfschedule tag, I put something like:

http://xyz.com/xyz/xyz.cfm?thecode=e342feeer32

Then in the cfm task page I only execute if the querystring is found.

Is that an ok way to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd just not expose the URLs that are for scheduled tasks to the outside world at all.  Problem goes away.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lovewebdev wrote:

Yes the task name is correct. I'm finding out from the hosting company why its not deleting. Aargh. Maybe it hung somehow. Dont know.

In my experience, the best place to put the delete code is the CFM page that defines the task. Temporarily comment out the cfschedule tag that defines the task, and run the delete code in its place. As I said, ColdFusion is known to sometimes require a few tries before granting you your wish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam Cameron. wrote:

For your purposes, you'd need to vary it to increment the startdate by one, as well as setting the start time to be a random hour (rather than just 1-5min).  But that's the basic gist of what you want to do.

I just did 1-5min in my example so I could actually test the veracity of my suggestions (without having to wait until tomorrow ;-)), rather than just guess...

Still, I think you're making some assumptions that may or may not turn out to be true. So you "increment the startdate by one, as well as setting the start time to be a random hour (rather than just 1-5min)", and the job runs once, firing itself. And off it goes again. So when will it take the time off to run Lovewebdev's task, xyz.cfm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam Cameron. wrote:

<!--- randomInteral.cfm --->

<cfset dRunTime = dateAdd("n", randRange(1,5), now())>

<cfset sRunTime = timeFormat(dRunTime, "HH:MM")>

<cflog file="randomIntervalExperiment" text="Ran task. Next run @ #sRunTime#">

<cfschedule

action                    = "update"

interval          = "once"

operation          = "HTTPRequest"

startdate          = "#dateFormat(now(), 'mm/dd/yy')#"

starttime          = "#sRunTime#"

task                    ="randomInterval"

url                              = "http://localhost:8301/shared/CF/CFML/tags/other/schedule/randomInterval.cfm"

>

For your purposes, you'd need to vary it to increment the startdate by one, as well as setting the start time to be a random hour (rather than just 1-5min).

I have revised my opinion about this solution. With some adaptation, it could be an efficient solution to the problem.

Why not adapt the page to also run the task code! The page flow is then as follows:

- Include code of task you wish to schedule, xyz.cfm, or do cfhttp-get to xyz.cfm;

- Randomly vary startdate and startTime;

-  <cfschedule>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why not adapt the page to also run the task code!

Sorry, I thought that was sufficiently obvious as to go without saying.

But... yes... that was the idea.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation