6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2013 2:44 PM by FalconRacer67 RSS

Dreamweaver CS3 win 7 access denied

LarryM01 Community Member

Hi,

I recently moved the OS (Win 7) to a SSD disk and reinstalled.

Now Dreamweaver CS3 don't let me save changes in the files ('Access denied').

I see that this has been an issue earlier, but have found no solution for me.

Read and write permissions are set on the folders for all possible users.

If I open the file in Notepad and make changes I can save it!

So why has Dreamweaver an 'access denied' to my files??

/Larry

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver CS3 win 7 access denied
          SnakEyez02 CommunityMVP

Sounds like something is wrong with the permissions on your system.  Are you an administrator on the system?  Also can you try creating a new admin user on the system and see if you are able to open files with that?

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver CS3 win 7 access denied

Thanks for your quick reply!

Yes, I opened Dreamweaver 'as Administrator' and it saved ok.

So it is definitely something with my rights.

/Larry

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver CS3 win 7 access denied

.. and my only solution to this was to disable User Account Control (UAC) in Control Panel.

Now Dreamweaver update files.

But maybe there is a better way then disabling UAC?

/Larry

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver CS3 win 7 access denied
                SnakEyez02 CommunityMVP

LarryM01 wrote:

.. and my only solution to this was to disable User Account Control (UAC) in Control Panel.

Now Dreamweaver update files.

But maybe there is a better way then disabling UAC?

/Larry

Only thing I can think of Larry is to create a new user account and start using that, eventually deleting your current corrupt account.  It sounds like OS level corruption with the account that permissions are not right from the move from the old HDD to the new one.  You should be able to bring over some of the data and settings and move it to the new account from the AppData folder on Windows.

Unfortunately that's about the level most users stop at here.  Most users of this forum do not have the OS level expertise you would need to repair such an issue.You could go to a Windows support forum and see if there is a way to repair a corrupted OS user account and permissions. 

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver CS3 win 7 access denied

SnakEyez02,

Maybe I mislead you: I did not ’move’ anything to the SSD disk, made a clean new installation of Win 7.

This is a bit of a mystery. To me.

On the earlier Win 7 installation Dreamweaver CS3 behaved normally and saved/updated files.

Now all other Dreamveaver CS3 components update normally, only Dreamweaver makes ‘Access denied’ when I try to save.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall Dreamweaver, same behaviour.

The only thing I can think of that differs between the CS3 components is that the Dreamweaver web files are on ‘C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Mysite’, and that C: is more restricted.

I have however added ‘write’ permission on all these folders for all possible users (except for ‘CREATER OWNER’, which does not accept any permissions).

And, as I said, if I start Dreamweaver with ‘Run as administrator’ it saves newly changed files nicely.

And I can make changes to these files in Notepad and save them.

No, it seems as I am stuck with disabling User Account Control to be able to use Dreamweaver normally.

/Larry

• 6. Re: Dreamweaver CS3 win 7 access denied
                    FalconRacer67

I had this problem with a Flashdrive. Drove me f'n nuts.  Try to save a file to the flashdrive - receive Access to *:\MFCxxxx.tmp DENIED.  Then the file vanished.  Could use Save As to save under another file name - no problem.  Or I could save, get error, file vanish, save again, file saved. FINALLY - The answer to my issue turned out to be, well, stupid.  (found on TechWorld)  Has absolutely nothing to do with permissions, Read Only status, etc, etc.  It may help some others with this situation.

With Win Explorer open on the directory.  Click Organize, Layout, then turn off Preview Pane.