4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2012 7:47 AM by lbsimpson RSS

Importing a PS Texture and Applying to Video in AE

lbsimpson Community Member

Hi all,

I'm working on a commercial and have developed a nice look, feel working with my graphic designer.  Rather than having to mask and animate this mask to reveal a select piece of a video clip and have texture surrounding, is there anyway to bring link the PS texture layer including the non-textured opening to a video layer such that the colors of the video layer become textured? 

I realize you can use the 'Texturize' effect to apply the texture to the video, but this requires more effort in terms of masking and tracking.  That is certainly do-able and is the method I have started using.  Of course I would prefer a work around that is less time consuming, so here I am posing this question.  I have also attempted apply the texture to a transparent solid wiht no luck.

Please let me know if this requries more explanation etc. I am working with CS5 on a PC.

Thank you for any feedback,

Lindsay

• 1. Re: Importing a PS Texture and Applying to Video in AE
          Andrew Yoole ACP/MVPs

Can you post examples of what you are trying to achieve?  I can't really work it out from your description, sorry.  Typically, adding textures to video can be as simple as placing your texture layer over the footage layer and adjusting the blending mode and opacity to taste.

• 2. Re: Importing a PS Texture and Applying to Video in AE

Hi Andrew,

My apologies for not posting these in the first place.  The idea is the rifle sight will fly in to a specific focus on the underlying video with varying movements and focuses throughout the video as the subject changes.  Ideally I would like to have the texture and rifle scope linked so that as the rifle sight moves in and out the texture adjusts accordingly.

This example below, is the texture applied to a duplicated video layer with an inverted circular mask.

AE_1.jpg

This is what I came up with playing with the texture on a semi-transparent solid layer.

AE_2_shape_layer_texture.jpg

This is what hte merged PS document looks like just right on top of the video.  No blending modes applied yet.  Though I will start playing with that.

AE_3.jpg

Last, the original PS document.

PS_document.jpg

Thanks for your time Andrew.  I appreciate any feedback or insight you might provide.  Thanks!

Lindsay

• 3. Re: Importing a PS Texture and Applying to Video in AE
              Szalam MVP

I'm still not quite understanding what problem you're having. Is it an issue that parenting will fix or an issue that blending modes (and varying the opacity) will fix?

• 4. Re: Importing a PS Texture and Applying to Video in AE

At this point, I'm not sure what I was asking earlier.  I needed to stop and think it out.  It was pretty simple really just a combination of opactiy, blending and parenting all mentioned somewhere above.

Thanks for looking,

Lindsay