• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What does "Check for deleted files" do?

Participant ,
Oct 19, 2006 Oct 19, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the "Check for deleted files" option that can be selected when publishing WebHelp. Does anybody know offhand what this does?

This is how RoboHelp Help describes it:

quote:

Check for deleted files: Select this option if you want to check for files that have been deleted from the destination location. (By default, the wizard does not perform this check because it slows down the publishing process.)

What does that mean? I think this option might be for deleting any superfluous files in the destination location. But that's not how the help text describes it.

I find the help text incomprehensible. What -- RH checks whether someone else has deleted files from the destination location? And sets off an alarm in that case? Or replaces them (duh)? Or what?

Grateful if someone already knows the answer to this, so I don't have to fool around testing it.

Thank you.
/Eileen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing deletes files at the destination except you! If you are not using Republish All, then this option means that in addition to publishing any files that you have changed, RH will check that the unchanged files still exist on the server. If it finds any have been deleted, it will also publish those files. It is checking for files that have been deleted on the server.

At least that is what RH's own help says.

<quote>Check for deleted files: Select this option if you want to check for files that have been deleted from the destination location. (By default, the wizard does not perform this check because it slows down the publishing process.)</quote>

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I think I get it.
So if I want to check for files that are still on the server but are no longer used (for example because topics have been deleted), I have to do that manually. Is that correct?
Thanks.
/Eileen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you like hard work but it's easier to cheat. Rename the target on the server and republish. Make sure everything is working OK and then you can delete the old stuff.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geez, why didn't I think of that?
Thanks, Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are republishing all, what's the point of checking for previously published files that have been deleted?

It would make more sense for RH to check for deleted files when it is otherwise publishing only those that were updated, and to republish the missing ones, even though they weren't updated.

Alas, it does not do this, apparently.

And neither does it delete files from the server, which may be for the best. Standard FTP uploading doesn't automatically delete files, either.

This is a good place to get in a plug for an inexpensive, extremely valuable utility: Beyond Compare.

It compares directories for orphan files and differences in identically named files. You can look at time stamps, size, binary content, CRC, versions, etc. It can make an adjustment for time zones.

Where it finds differences between files, you can open both in editing mode to go line-by-line, or you can replace files from one side to the other. You can synchronize the directories with some options. You can mirror folders from one side to the other, which moves new and modified files to the other side and deletes orphans from the target directory.

There's more, but this is plenty for me.

Sometimes I do this instead of publishing from RoboHelp. More often, I use it to verify that RH has done its job right.

Check it out at www.scootersoftware.com.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harvey

<quote>If you are republishing all, what's the point of checking for previously published files that have been deleted?</quote>

Nobody suggested that and indeed you cannot. When you select Republish All, the Check for Deleted Files option is disabled.

<quote>It would make more sense for RH to check for deleted files when it is otherwise publishing only those that were updated, and to republish the missing ones, even though they weren't updated. Alas, it does not do this, apparently. </quote>

That is what it does do, or are you saying that you find otherwise?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was under the impression that it doesn't work, but I'll be glad to test and report back.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I was mistaken.

RH does, indeed, republish a file that has been deleted from the target directory, if you select this option.

I seldom wear a hat, and please don't send crow for my dinner table. A nice quail will do.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp