• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I have a Text Search in HTML Help output?

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm relatively new to Robohelp and while testing the possible output methods I found that there is no internal text search function available for the Microsoft HTML Help (.chm) file.

Does anyone know if it is possible to enable this function?

Thank you

Holli

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean by "internal search". If you mean a search for the user, you should be seeing a search tab.

chm_example.png

BTW. Please see the Sticky Topic - Before You Post. It didn't matter this time but you should always include your version of RoboHelp as it can affect the answer.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for your help.

Yes that is exactly what I want to appear when I generate the Help file but I don't get a search tab:

screenshot.1.jpg

Could you tell me how to get the search tab to appear?

Thank you

Holli

Also thatnk you for the help reguarding "How to post" this is my first go so I'll have a read of that now. Also it is the version 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Project Setup, right click the Window used. Make sure Search Tab is ticked.

chm_window.png

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes thank you, I have that box checked but still no search tab appears in the .chm file when I generate it:

screenshot.3.jpg

Is there perhaps another function that may be stopping it from appearing in this format. It

always appear when I generate Web Help or Flash Help but just not in HTML Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen something like this and am trying to recall the solution. Meantime, do you have anything in the glossary? If not deselect that option.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this.

http://kb2.adobe.com/community/publishing/505/cpsid_50592.html

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I'll try that now and let you know if it works.

Holli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

Sorry for the delay I was trying to figure out the problem and I'm still confused.

I've tried compileing from another project (not made by me) on the computer and the chm file has a search tab exactly like you have shown.

I tried my project again and I still only get Contents, index and Gloassary.

I've run MJDiagnostics and checked I had the most uptodate version of Html Help but as it works in other projects i feel the problem must be with my file in Robohelp as opposed to how my computer is displaying the .chm.

I'd really appreciate your input as you have been very helpful.

Thank you

Holli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to try adding a "$global_" prefix to your window name and recompiling. It may also be a good idea to remove any spaces from your window name. Use underscores if you want to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for that. I tried renaming the window with the prefix you suggested and replaceing spaces with underscores. I generated the project as a .chm and still have no search tab. Could you clarify for me: is recompiling the same thing as generating an output?

Thanks again

Holli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Holli. I shouldn't really have used that term. Yes it is the same as generating your output. One other thing you could try is creating a brand new window and Microsoft HTML Help single source layout. You can do this by right clicking on the window and single source layout in the appropriate pod.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strictly speaking Colum was right to use the term "compiling".

You compile Microsoft HTML Help (CHMs) as RoboHelp is using the Microsoft Help Compiler to compile all your HTM files into one CHM.

WebHelp is generated as it becomes a collection of files, HTM and others.

For what it might be worth.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both, yes I just wanted to check there wasn't another process I was missing.

Thank you for your help but I think I'm going to leave it here and just build another project file as the search is cruicial and it works in other projects I generate.

I really can't figure out what makes this one different, perhaps best just to choc it up to a glitch.

All the best

Holli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two quick things worth a try.

I am doubtful this one will work but it might be worth deleting the CPD file in the root of the project (using Windows Explorer) and reopening the project.

More likely is try creating a new SSL. Right click in the SSL pod and select Create New, not a duplicate. Could just be that is corrupted.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but neither of those have made a difference.

Out of interence what does deleting the cpd file do?

Thank you

Holli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CPD file is a database file used by each RoboHelp project. It can be safely deleted though as Peter suggests as it gets recreated. In fact there is even an option to automatically rebuild it whenever you open your project.

Option_Delete_CPD.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It removes the twists out of RoboHelp's knickers.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that's really interesting! As I said I'm still getting to grips with Robohelp and I just keep finding more and more things in there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want me to look at the project, see the Contact page on my site.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thats very kind of you. Shall I email the project folder?

Holli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zip up the project folder and then send it using one of the free sites mentioned on the Contact Page on my site.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the bottom of this thread there are a couple of solutions I haven't seen tried yet:

Missing: Search Tab

Eileen made some changes that affected the hhp file, plus compared a couple of files with a working project and made some manual adjustments to them.

Peter also suggested unticking the Browse Sequence checkbox in the window definition.

And Gargik suggested unticking the Binary Index setting in Project Settings.

Perhaps one of those suggestions can help.

Amber

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Credit where it is due. It was Eileen Palsson who found unticking the Browse Sequence and Glossary options if they were empty brought back the search. I simply verified it worked when I hit the problem later.

That solution is what I had in mind in Post 5 in this thread.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

I tried all of those suggestions yesterday to no avail but I thought I'd give it all one more go this morning before sending it to Peter and inexplicably everything works. Maybe it all just needed a re-start after all the changes we were making yesterday!

Thank you all so much for your help!

I'm so glad this has all worked even though I'm not 100% sure what fixed it!

All the best

Holli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp