• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you make images transparent in inDesign?

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you make images transparent in Adobe InDesign CS5.5?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

so if I get you correct , you have the image and you want to make its background transparent....

if so, not possible use application like Photoshop or Illustartor and then import it in Indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

select the image ,

Go to Objects-->effects-->Transparency , and change the opacity value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not what I wanted.

The white background still stays

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so if I get you correct , you have the image and you want to make its background transparent....

if so, not possible use application like Photoshop or Illustartor and then import it in Indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep so I've got an image that has a white background. I only want the part of the image that does not have a white background.

Okay will do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are importing a layered tiff file, with the white bg on it, you can turn this off in the layer settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not in InDesign you can’t. And you’d need to open it in Photoshop and resave it with the transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry my bad, its a PSD file not Tiff...

I meant if the white background is a separate layer you can switch it off. Obviously if it is a flattened image, you need to edit the image in PS to remove the white background, but if this white background is a separate layer, it can be switched off in InDesign by importing the psd and turning the layer in that psd off in the layer settings...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Otherwise the only format you can use with the transparency would be an AI or PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That you have to do in Photoshop…and you might want to take a little time to write your questions with some actual details.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tbh I think it was pretty much a straight forward question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed it was; so Manish gave you the straightforward answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible to do this in InDesign. I did it last year in our annual reports but I cannot for the life of me remember how I did it. I will have a hunt through my notes and see what I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read through this thread? The whole thing is there....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, this is exactly what i wanted to know :3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2013 Aug 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It IS possible: Select the image. Open effects (Window > Effects). Switch from "normal" to "multiply". Viola! White background is gone.

Good question jinda55.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2013 Aug 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dittco wrote:

It IS possible: Select the image. Open effects (Window > Effects). Switch from "normal" to "multiply". Viola! White background is gone.

That only works with a white background. In addition, it introduces a transparency effect, with its associated problems.

With a rather light background: Select the image. Open clipping path (Object > Clipping Path > Options). Select Type > Detect Edges; use Threshold and Tolerance to get as close as possible to the edge of your image. This may be difficult because of a too low resolution image, or too much fringe on the edge -- if all fails, use the Inset Frame value to force the mask "into" the image. Click OK, and the background is gone.

But that's not the only way: you can always create a clipping path manually, and then you are in total control, not limited by transparency side effects, auto-edge detection, and busy backgrounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome thank you. I knew it must be simple as I was using a file someone else had made and the images were automatically knocking out backgrounds

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2015 Dec 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! You saved me a lot of time, I was worried i had to do it on photoshop or illustrator but I'm short on time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2016 Aug 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, All that other BS from the other peeps was not needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You win the internet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines