• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to customize the display and look and feel of the results page message?

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I've searched everywhere but cannot change its appearance (Captivate 5.5). It looks ugly like that:

MessageResults.png

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

My guess is that the original poster was referring to the long string of words in the Quiz Result message that is currently stretching across the page.

The bad news is that you have no way to force this text to wrap based on the size of the Review Area on the Quiz Results page.  This issue has been flagged many times on this forum.  Please feel welcome to add your name to the people that have logged an enhancement request to have more formatting options for Quiz Result messages.

In the mean time,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jwong_ser,

I think you've come to the right place for help, but you haven't given anyone reading this post anything to go on...what do you want? Try and give as much detail as you can...what is the image you supplied? How do you want to change it...or, is the image you supplied what you want it to look like?

There are some really knowledgeable folks on this forum and they've help me with some fairly complex issues...help them understand your problem and I'm sure you'll get an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that the original poster was referring to the long string of words in the Quiz Result message that is currently stretching across the page.

The bad news is that you have no way to force this text to wrap based on the size of the Review Area on the Quiz Results page.  This issue has been flagged many times on this forum.  Please feel welcome to add your name to the people that have logged an enhancement request to have more formatting options for Quiz Result messages.

In the mean time, I would suggest you reword your somewhat longwinded result message to whittle it down to something concise that allows you to use decent sized text on a single line.  Maybe something like: "Sorry. You were not successful this time.  Please try again."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do not mind a little bit of work, it is perfectly possible to create your own Review messages (text captions) for the score slide as Text Captions and trigger an advanced action on Entering the score slide to show the proper text caption based on the value of the Quizzing System variable cpQuizInfoPassFail (or another one). You could even create more text captions, not only a Pass/Fail but for the different scores or percentages but then you'll need to use another variable.

If you want to try that, could offer you the workflow. But feel free not to bother about my answer.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2012 Apr 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri

Sorry for the late reply. I just saw your reply and YES I need to do something because the client review says that we MUST see the original text planned in the storyboard + I need to insert a link to a pdf...

So yes yes please bother telling us how to do that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2012 Apr 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be aware though, that if you build your own Quiz Results page, you do NOT have the option on that page to include buttons for Retake Quiz or Review Quiz.  You would need to still have a real Quiz Results slide present for those buttons to trigger the correct functions in Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

I was not talking about creating a custom Quiz results slide, but about customizing the Review message on the default Results page. In that case you can have all the functionalities like Review, Retake but have to be careful to keep the original Review field.

Lieve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  My apologies for misunderstanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I found a post and a video from you explaining how to create a page before the results pages and I am now using that. Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all again

I have posted my question on Lieve's tutorial but I'm not sure it is the best way to reach an audience so I post here again.

I have followed the tutorial and it works.

I now have my 20 questions, a content page that displays a text and audio according to the score (advanced action) and then the result page with the score.

BUT when the users retake the quiz (button "retake quiz"), then the fake results page display the three captions (one for failed, one for failed but better and one for passed) instead of just one.

I would understand if it was keeping the last caption displayed according to the first score, but why the three and how to avoid that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question is not possible to answer definitively without understanding the way you've set up your Advanced Actions and variables for this project file. 

It sounds like maybe your interaction design hasn't allowed for the case where users might come back to this results slide later in the session.  The Retake Quiz button will jump the user back to the slide containing the very first scored object in the project and will revert the quiz score back to zero again for another attempt.  However, this doesn't mean that it will automatically set all of your custom variables back to their original default values again as well.  The function triggered by Retake Quiz to reset scoring is an internal function that only looks at scored objects, not at other score-related variables and Advanced Actions you might have set up to achieve the effect you wanted.

So you may need to build in some more logic to cover situations where a user enters slides on their second attempt.  You can set Conditional Advanced Actions to look for the System Variable cpQuizInfoAttempts and if it is NOT set to 0 then execute some series of actions to clear or reset your custom variables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, where did you post that question? Normally I get a warning about each comment on my blog, and try to answer ASAP, but cannot remember this one. Could be my side of course, because have been little bit too busy these last weeks. If you could post the link, I could perhaps repair this??

If you posted the comment on one of the articles I wrote with the Adobe Publishing AIR app, I do not get any warning about that. It is one of the reasons I abandoned to use that application, it is very cumbersome to have to open each article regularly to see if someone asked anything.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2012 May 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rodward for your comment. I have tried to build in some more logic to cover situations where a user enters slides on their second attempt, as recommended, but to no avail.

I can't set a Conditional Advanced Actions to look for the System Variable cpQuizInfoAttempts and if it is NOT set to 0 then execute some series of actions to clear or reset your custom variables because there is no such action as resetting variables. Or my naive knowledge of the software didn't allow me to find a way to reset my Advanced Action...

I set up the assessment exactly like Lilybiri described on the Adobe Publishing AIR tutorial here: http://kb2.adobe.com/community/publishing/858/cpsid_85847.html.

Yes I figured out that you couldn't reply easily from there Lieve since there was no activity from 2010.

I couldn't find the tutorial on your website though: http://lilybiri.posterous.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can reply, but do not get any warnings when someone posts a question over there.

Which version of CP are you using? The video was created for 5.0 and in 5.5 some Quizzing system variables are updated in a better way. However they are still read only, so you cannot 'reset' a system variable if it is not done by the quiz functionalities. One example: if the user clicks on the Retake button on the Score slide, the system variables cpInfoPercentage and cpQuizInfoPointsscored are reset to 0, and the cpQuizInfoAttempts is incremented.

Bit busy for the moment, but if you could explain clearly what you want, and perhaps let me have a look at your project, I will try to figure it out. The condition is of course that I can blog about it.

On my blog I have some examples of custom questions where I allow Retake/Review, think they are all with the enhanced widgets by Jim Leichliter, in the soap about Widgets and Custom Questions.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lieve.

I am using 5.5.

I have done exactly what you describe in your tutorial. What happens is that when users retake the quiz, all the feedback appear at the same time. It's like the Advanced Action is not working anymore and display the three invisible captions at once. It has nothing to do with the reviews.

I have made a lighter version of my quiz to try and try again different options so I can send that to you but how? Will try to see if I can send you a private email from your blog. Of course you can talk about it, it will probably happen to a lot of people.

Cheers

Helene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2012 May 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you attach the Advanced action that shows the feedback to the On Enter event? How do you make Cp know that it is a Retake, not a Review mode?

You could post the file on acrobat.com (free - log in with your Adobe ID), share it and publish it and send me the link by private message. Dropbox or something similar is also OK for me.

Lieve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lieve

Did you attach the Advanced action that shows the feedback to the On Enter event? How do you make Cp know that it is a Retake, not a Review mode?

=> Yes On Enter. Cp should know it's a Retake because the users clicked Retake button on the next slide. If there is another way I am not aware of it.

I sent you a private message with a link to my Dropbox public folder yesterday. Did you receive it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate has a system variable that tracks the number of attempts that a user has made on the Quiz (cpQuizInfoAttempts).  So you can set up On Slide Enter events with Conditional Advanced Actions to watch this variable and execute actions of your choosing if the variable is found to be equal to 1 or 2 etc.

However, you cannot attach a conditional action to the Retake Quiz button itself, nor is there any variable available to you that will tell you that the user is currently in the middle of performing another attempt.  The same is true of the Review Quiz button. It does one thing only and there is no variable to tell you that the user is currently in Review Mode.

This is an area of need in Captivate that will hopefully be addressed in future versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, have been too busy and promised so much to users.

I just downloaded your file and will have a look when I'm finished with the student consultations,

Lieve

First corrections: the advanced action testscoreessai (vous utilisez la version française 😞

• you  miss an action if the score is exactly 10, so I changed the Failed criterion to 'cpQuizInfoPointsscored lesser or equal to 10'
  • for the THEN region you have to add two Hide statements for the TC not to be displayed, example for Failed:
    • Show Text_Caption_Failed
    • Hide Text_Caption_Middle
    • Hide Text_Caption_Passed

The reason is that once you make a caption visible it remains visible. It is perhaps not really necessary for the Excellent decision, didn't figure out if you allow Review then??? But to be sure I did hide there as well.

Now have to search what you want more. Or can you post that again? Have another project and a student (Spanish this time) waiting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lievvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve it works!!!! I would never have thought about hiding a caption that I didn't show in the first place! Thank you so much!

So what I retain is that if you show one of three invisible captions then the others will show automatically in the next viewing. I wonder why but that's the way it is!

There is no problem with the review quiz button because it skipped the customised feedback page and went to the results page automatically after the last reviewed question, perfect!

Regarding the other question: the client wanted to allow the Review button only after three failed attempts at passing the quiz, here is what I have done:

• make the review button transparent
  • create a picture and a text for this button, make it invisible
  • add a condition: if user failed 3 times then show picture + text.

It works fine for me and the only thing missing is a button-behaviour-like for the picture but I won't bother creating an animated picture or sth like that.

Let me know of you need my help in exchange with some instructional design stuff, which is more my area of expertise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2012 Jun 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your deduction is not correct, perhaps I explained not well enough. The text captions will never appear automatically, provided of course that they were initially invisible (were they?). But one of my tips in the blog post http://lilybiri.posterous.com/look-before-you-leap-in-advanced-actions is to consider all possible situations and sequences that can happen when the student is taking the course. In this case: if the student first fails, the Fail caption is made visible and will remain visible. If on his second attempt he will get a middle score, you do have not only to show the Middle caption, but to make the already visible Fail caption invisible again. And if on his third attempt he gets an Excellent you'll have to make the Middle caption invisible. But this is not the only possible sequence: he could have first a Middle and then a Fail score, correct? That is the reason why I hide both Fail and Middle invisible for the Excellent decision. To simplify this process: always hide everything that you do not want to appear in a situation, even though it may already be invisible.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2012 Jun 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well in my case I was failing first and if failing again ALL the captions (failed, middle and passed) were showing (and yes they are all invisible). So there is probably something else at stake here. The most important lesson as you said is that now I know I have to hide things even though logics would say they are not supposed to appear 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2012 Jun 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There must be something else awry, indeed, but cannot judge without seeing the project. No, I didn't try to give that message, but you have to understand the logics of Captivate. If you screen all possible situations you can perhaps limit the number of statements, do not need all the Hides. But it is never wrong to hide an object that you do not want to appear in that specific situation even though it is already invisible. So for editing reasons (easier to change the duplicate actions) I sometimes accept superfluous statements.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources