8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2012 7:23 PM by mjpatey1 RSS

CEP 2.1 upgrade?

mjpatey1 Community Member

This is a long shot, but as a long-time registered user of Cool Edit Pro 2.1, I've come to the point of needing to upgrade. My computer is dying, and my LynxOne audio interface won't work with any OS beyond Windows XP, so when I get a new Win7 computer I'll need both a new audio interface and new software.

Adobe once sent me a replacement installation CD for CEP. Very cool of them, considering it was a legacy product. Anybody know if Adobe is still doing upgrade deals from good old CEP 2.1?

Thanks for any light you can shed!

-Mark

• 1. Re: CEP 2.1 upgrade?
          SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

I'm afraid that the only light I can shed is what Colin says in his product announcement:

Audition CS6 Perpetual:

• Full = $349.00 USD
          • Upgrade Audition CS5.5 to Audition CS6 = $75.00 USD
          • Upgrade Audition 1.5, 2.0, 3.0 to Audition CS6 = $149.00 USD
          • Upgrade Soundbooth CS3, CS4, CS5 to Audition CS6 = $149.00 USD

Which appears to say that you can't even upgrade Audition 1, never mind CEP2.1, I'm afraid.

• 2. Re: CEP 2.1 upgrade?

Thanks, Steve. Was hoping for better news, but I can certainly understand, since it's such an old product.

I read that if I buy CS5.5 right now from the Adobe site, there will be a free upgrade to CS6 when it arrives, presumably in a couple of weeks. Is this only true of purchases made directly from Adobe's site, or can I safely buy from an online retailer like BH, etc.?

• 3. Re: CEP 2.1 upgrade?
              Charles VW Adobe Employee

mjpatey1 wrote:

Is this only true of purchases made directly from Adobe's site, or can I safely buy from an online retailer like BH, etc.?

Yes, only through adobe.com, it is not available via the third-party resellers (unless they offer their own program).

• 4. Re: CEP 2.1 upgrade?
                therealdobro Community Member

Since 6 has everything 5.5 has, plus a whole lot more, why would you consider buying 5.5 when 6 is coming out in  a couple of weeks?

• 5. Re: CEP 2.1 upgrade?
                  _durin_ Employee Hosts

If your trial is ending before CS6 is released, you might want to purchase so you could continue working in the meantime.  In many cases, organizations are planning or need to use their budget before the end of a fiscal quarter, and if they intend to update anyway, it might make sense to do it now.

• 6. Re: CEP 2.1 upgrade?

@ therealdobro: I have a big project starting either later this week or ealy next week, and want to start it on my new computer, which won't run CEP 2.1. On my most recent project (last week), this system glitched out so much it took me almost double the time to complete. It's a combination of factors, not the least of which is that the newest parts in the computer are from 2001.

@_durin_: That's a great idea... I didn't know there was a trial. Assuming it is fully functional, I will download the trial of 5.5 and use it until 6 arrives and I can buy it. Think that will work?

• 7. Re: CEP 2.1 upgrade?
                      _durin_ Employee Hosts

Should work fine.  Visit http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=audition to download the 30-day trial of Audition CS5.5.  It will give you a good sense of what's new in CS6!  :)

• 8. Re: CEP 2.1 upgrade?

Thanks, _durin_! I was trying to find the download, and ony found links to preorder CS6. Thanks for the link.