• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Can I Safely Delete a RoboHelp 9 Project?

Apr 22, 2012 Apr 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am learning/evaluating RoboHelp 9 using IconLogic's "Essentials of Adobe RoboHelp 9 HTML".  This book  has excellent step-by-step lessons and contains student data files to make it easier to learn.  The student lessons were downloaded and unzipped into a folder called "RoboHelp9Data".  Beneath this folder is a folder named "RoboHelpProjects".  (Note there is no space in the folder name.)  At some point, I inadvertently created a folder called "RoboHelp Projects".  (Note the space in the folder name.)  As lessons progressed, I learned (1.) it is best not to have pathnames with spaces as this can cause problems on some operating systems; and (2.) you should not delete any RoboHelp files via Windows Explorer.  Rather, you should always delete them from within the RoboHelp application itself.  (Let it be duly noted that the admonition in Item 2 came with no instructions on how to do that which it admonished!)

Because I now have two folders with similar names ("RoboHelpProjects" and RoboHelp Projects"), it is causing me problems.  At first glance, it seems the simplest solution would be to remove and recreate the entire root folder, "RoboHelp9Data " via Windows Explorer.  (I don't care about losing project data---I actually want to start over.)  The thing that stops me from doing this is the admonition in item 2 above.  So would RoboHelp still be unhappy if I were to remove the entire root project folder and everything it it (via Windows Explorer).  It seems logical to me that if all traces of all project files were to disappear (including the files that contain references to the project), RoboHelp would not have anything to complain about!  (I guess that all depends upon where and how the RoboHelp application stores data about each project, and sadly, I am ignorant of that knowledge.)

As I am unwilling to stand accused by the RoboHelp application of high crimes against project data, I decided to play it safe and delete my projects from within RoboHelp and then recreate them.  It sounds reasonable, does it not?  One would think that finding out how to delete a project from within RoboHelp would be simple enough.  However, one would be wrong.

I have tried the obvious:  (1.) Searched the index and TOC of my book for info on deleting a project---no help there; (2.)  Looked for a "delete project" option in the Manager Pod "File" menu (also tried the right-click options)---no help there; and (3.) I searched the web and Adobe forums for "Delete RoboHelp 9 Project" with no success.  I did find an article about removing unused project files (Tools > Reports > Unused Files), but nothing about deleting an entire project.

As a new RoboHelp user, what I need are some simple step-by-step instructions on how to safely delete a RoboHelp 9 project from within RoboHelp.  This seems like it should be a short, simple, straightforward answer that is easy to find on the Web.  What am I missing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

You may safely delete the RoboHelp8Data folder using Windows Explorer. Then you can simply reinstall the IconLogic materials.

The admonition about deleting files was meant to advise that you should not delete files that are part of an existing RoboHelp Project. Otherwise, RoboHelp cannot update its database and remove any links to these files.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for responding so quickly!  Your answer is what I was hoping for as it is the simplest solution to my immediate problem.  But in the interest of further learning and in the absence of clear information via searches, would you be kind enough to go one step further and address how one might delete Project B if one wants to keep Project A?  More specifically, in such a circumstance, would it be acceptable for me to delete the "Project B" folder and all its contents (via Windows Explorer) without causing problems within RoboHelp (error messages and so forth)?

I had gotten far enough into my book to understand how to delete topics and various other components within RoboHelp.  But it is still puzzling to me that I have not seen a way to delete "Project B" in its entirety from within the RoboHelp application.  Thus, the need to pose the scenario above about deleting "Project B" via Windows Explorer.

This is probably painfully obvious to those of you who are familiar with RoboHelp, but it seems unusually elusive to me, as a newcomer.  Maybe I'm missing some overview information about how RoboHelp organizes its projects.  The book I am working out of is an awesome step-by-step resource; the only drawback is that it provides less high-level conceptual information than a traditional textbook might provide.

Thanks for your patience.  I really do appreciate the time you have taken to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin is suggesting that you store the projects you create while working through his book in a folder called RoboHelpProjects. It is not where you have to store every project you ever create.That is for the purposes of his book.

RoboHelp initially defaults to My RoboHelp Projects but it's up to you whether you do. Generally on the forums we advise against that as  it is part of your profile and can result in excessively long path names in a few cases. Generally where authors create file names that are so long they almost serve as the content.

Projects always have a root folder, call them Project 1 and Project 2 for this purpose. You can have those folders directly off your C drive (or other local partition) or within in a parent folder as above.

Now to what you can and cannot do. You can delete a whole project by selecting Project 1 or Project 2 in Windows Explorer. Obviously if you delete the parent folder you will delete all your projects within.

What you must not do is delete individual files within a project using Windows Explorer, for that you use RoboHelp's Project Manager. The exception is if you go to Tools > Reports there is a report Unused Files. Files listed there will have to be deleted using Windows Explorer for the very good reason they do not appear in Project Manager and, therefore, cannot be deleted that way.

If you think about it, it is similar to Word. There is no option to delete a document there other than using File > Open and right clicking. Not very intuitive.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Thanks so much for the clarification.  Your explanation was perfect!  Exactly what I was looking for!  Before your post, I did not know any of what you explained.  (I had assumed root project folders had to be in a fixed location.  Newbies often miss what seems obvious to veteran users.)  Your answer provided the context I needed to understand how projects are stored in Explorer and how they may be copied or deleted. 

I consider this question ro be answered, but I'm not sure how to mark it as such.  (Newbie learning curve.)  I'll try to figure it out in the FAQs.  I am also trying to figure out the mechanism of assigning points.  Is there a button or something that I'm not seeing?  (I've been posting via e-mail replies.) 

Rick gave me the most immediately needed answer so that I could proceed with my work, but your answer gave me the detailed context I was looking for.  So together, you and Rick answered my question completely!  Can I count both your answers as "correct" and assign 10 points to each of you?    (I'll try to figure this out and get back to  you.)

Thanks again for your help!  I do so appreciate you giving of your valuable time---both you and Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2012 Apr 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Provided you are logged into the forum there is an option to mark a post as Correct Answer or Helpful Answer. That does help other users.

It also awards the points but to be honest Rick and I don't bother about points. They have no tangible value.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How dare you! Speak for yourself about the points, Mr. Man!

I was hoping to accumulate enough points to finally manage a sweet discount on that eight inch floppy drive I've had my eye on down at the local thrift store!

Happy Wednesday, folks!

Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

RH gods don’t need points!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp