Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving on Network drive, display "Page Cannot be displayed or Action cancelled"

Oct 19, 2006 Oct 19, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Working with RH HTML x5

Before I use to work on local drive and store all my projects there, but now what I need to do is to store this projects or new projects on the Network drive. I am able to create or Copy this projects to the network drive but when I go to generate .chm file it would create a file but when I open it the content page has got an error - Page Cannot be displayed or Action cancelled.

Not sure why this would be there. But is there some settings I need to do when I save projects on the Network Drive?

Thx for all your help

Kewal

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kewal

is there some settings I need to do when I save projects on the Network Drive?

Yes, there is one major thing you need to do. First, Click Here and Read This Article

Get up out of your chair, walk to the nearest whiteboard, take marker in hand, start writing:

I will not store my projects on the network drive!

Do this until the urge to place your RoboHelp project on the network leaves your body.

Now happily resume working on your local PC.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and Click here to read why compiled .CHM files have issues on network drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thx for the reply.

"I will not store my projects on the network drive!" ;)

The other question was the manual am creating is for a web-based app, so what would be the best format to store my help file? e.g. If I generate a webhelp pro help which file do I need to store in the app?

I did figure out that running a webhelp or webhelp pro would work on network drive, this helps little bit.

Thx

Kewal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Kewal

Well, first another link for you to review: Click here to read...

If you are talking about a WebHelp output, you should hopefully know you aren't dealing with a single output file such as you are with .CHM output. You are instead dealing with what I affectionatly call a *SWARM* of files. You end up with more files to distribute than are actually in your project.

When you create WebHelp output, you should have a folder structure similar to this:
(Project Location)
**!SSL!
****WebHelp

You will be interested in all the files (and folders) stored in the WebHelp folder location.

Hope this helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick

Thx for the reply,

I did read the article on WebHelp Pro - thx

Like we have .chm file and this means a single file upload in the web-based app would work, Since .chm cant work we use webhelp pro as we can connect directly to the server and publish our help there. As the webhelp pro creates a *SWARM* of files, I need to pull up online help from that app. So until my understanding if we give a ref to one of the files created e.g (XXXXXXX\!SSL!\WebHelp_Pro1\Help_6.htm) which opens up the whole help should work for me?

Thx for your help

Kewal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kewal

Sooooo, you actually DO have the RoboEngine component and you have convinced your IT staff to install it on the Web Sever? (That's the only way WebHelp Pro will work).

Note that generic WebHelp is also easily uploaded to a Web Server and used in much the same manner WebHelp Pro is. I steered you to the article I did, because it's quite common for folks not to have WebHelp Pro with the RoboEngine. They usually just think WebHelp Pro is "the best" and naturally gravitate toward that.

Just thought I'd double check. Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thx for the reply,

No I dont have the RoboEngine, but am sure it wont be a problem for me requesting it. BUT if it is not required then its better not to play with the IT staff and there machines. (I was not sure if webhelp can work or not that why I said webhelp pro)

Once help created from WebHelp, while running it it would prompt regarding the pop-up blocker (We can change the setting on my computer but not on ever users), so I was using the webhelp pro as it does not prompt about the pop-up blocker.

So now what I wanted to know if I have to set up help on the web-app how do I do that? as first I was planning to get the .chm file loaded but as this wont work (not sure) how can get my help open from the application?

Thx for help
Much appreciated

Kewal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Kewal

For starters, YOU are seeing the yellow information bar because you are running the WebHelp on your local PC. Many folks see this and fear that their users will encounter the same thing. The thing is, once you put WebHelp on the server, the issue doesn't appear. The browser behaves differently because it treats content received from a server differently.

Setting up help for your web app can be really easy or very difficult. There are many things to decide. First off, WHO is the developer? It's up to the web app developer to construct the calls to WebHelp. These calls can be in the form of a simple URL or they can be configured by the help developer and the web app developer calls the help in a special way. In this case, something called "Map IDs" is used to map topics to numbers. The web app developer links to the numbers.

Here are two links that will illustrate using the "non-Map ID way".
Link One
Link Two

And if you want to go the Map ID route, I believe fellow Adobe Community Expert and fellow Adobe Certified Instructor John Daigle has outlined this via a Developer Center article he created. You can view that by clicking here.

Hopefully the links will help get you started... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi,
Thx for your reply

heaps to learn and read.
will get in touch soon

Kewal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp