• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Typing in the index box doesn't scroll the index topics

Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2012 Apr 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been a bug for quite a while (v5?).  We are using v7 now.  We have a large help system.  Generating WebHelp with RoboHelp for Word.  We are calling context help using the Robohelp_CSH.cpp function RH_ShowHelp().  What we are seeing is that when the user types into the index box (where it says 'Type in the keyword to find'), the list of index topics doesn't scroll to what the user is typing.  If we run the help 'standalone' by double clicking on the 'root' .htm file, it works fine.  We have users that find this very offensive.  One actually got a hold of the president of the company and gave him 'an earfull' about it.  Called us incompetent, etc.  I downloaded the trial of v9 to see if it had been corrected.  But it hasn't.  Has anyone seen this?  Is there a fix?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2012 May 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one eh?  If anyone wants to see this in action, download www.wrightsoft.com/Support/RSU12/WSF/SetupWWSF12007.exe and run it.  It will install Right-Suite Universal.  After it is installed, run it as a demo.  Then select Help | Overview from the menu.  Type 'cooling' (or anything you see in the index list) in the box above the index list.  The list is supposed to scroll to the topic that you type.  But it doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 04, 2012 May 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I bit the bullet, downloaded the app and installed it. I do see what you mean by the index not scrolling automagickally as it would with basic WebHelp being presented in a standard browser. But I note that what is happening is you appear to have WebHelp but being somehow presented using a custom viewer? I think we need more information about exactly how this viewer is working with the content.

What type of help is this? I know you said that you are using RoboHelp for Word, meaning that you are making edits using Microsoft Word and creating output from that. But what happens once you create the WebHelp? I see that you have a gob of content out in the RSU.Help folder. I also note that if I find and double-click the page named: rsu.htm that WebHelp loads and the Index works just fine and scrolls as you would expect.

So I can only conclude that the issue really isn't with what RoboHelp is producing, but more what your developers may be doing with the help once they link it to the application. I guess my analogy would be that you are stuffing a working product into a crate and the process of stuffing it into the crate is causing breakage.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time to install the app and check it out.  From Robohelp for Word I am generating WebHelp.  The app uses the C++ code that RoboHelp includes - robohelp_CSH.cpp and robohelp_CSH.h.  My primary job function is as a programmer.   So, I'm the one coding and writing the messages.  The function that we call is RH_ShowHelp(), which is in robohelp_CSH.cpp.  The command that is passed is HH_HELP_CONTEXT.  We're not using any special viewer.  Robohelp includes the ability to apply various 'skins' to your help.  I customized one to include our logo, etc.  I tried installing the current version and using the robohelp_CSH.cpp and .h that was included with that version.  In case it was corrected.  However, I got the same behavior.  It's odd that running rsu.htm would behave differently than running it from an app.  I assume that the JavaScript is what is running the Index lookup.

If you need any more info, I'd be happy to provide it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

I'm not a programmer and most of what you said is lost on me. Sorry. Have you reported this behavior to the development team as a bug? If not, I'm thinking you should. Who knows, perhaps you will get a response that tells you what to do to change the behavior.

I do know that you are spot on with the assumption that JavaScript is running the behavior of the output.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I reported it several years ago when it first happened.  Their attitude was that it worked with smaller help projects, therefore it wasn’t  a bug.  Maybe they will be a little more responsive now.  Thanks for responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp