6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2012 2:42 PM by ddelano RSS

Aligning Text in Text Frame

ddelano

I am placing text within a text frame on the header of my master page. Once I have the text centered and aligned within the text frame in the design screen and go to the preview screen the text displays as skewed to one side (usually to the left). In order to have the text centered within the frame on my published site I had to skew it off center in design mode. See the 'modern kids clothing' text box at the top of my site www.kikikidswear.com

Is there something I am doing wrong?

I've also noticed that when I view my published site on a wide screen monitor other text gets skewed such as the words 'kids wear' on the header and the copyright info in the bottom right of my footer.

• 1. Re: Aligning Text in Text Frame
          Abhishek Maurya Adobe Employee

Hi Ddelano,

We have checked the link and it looks all fine to me. Please provide us with the screen shot of what you see in the Design View vs the Preview vs the Browser. Also, provide us with the browser name that you are checking on and the version.

Regards,

• 2. Re: Aligning Text in Text Frame
            ddelano Community Member

Hi Abhishek. Here are the screen shots. These aren't exactly what was used to upload my site as I've played around in Muse trying to figure this out but you can see what the issue is I think by comparing the design view and the preview view. In order to get the text to display as centered (relatively centered in this example) in preview or when previewed in a browser I've had to skew the text fairly far to the right of the text box in design mode. I generally preview in IE explorer 8 on Windows XP although I do also preview the website in other browsers (Firefox, Opera, Safari). The text alignment has not been an issue between browsers although I notice the KIKI logo text in browsers other than IE is slightly jagged on the letter K.

Muse Design view.JPG

Muse Preview view.JPG

• 3. Re: Aligning Text in Text Frame
              Abhishek Maurya Adobe Employee

Hi,

Apparently the shift you are referring to is happening because of the letter spacing. There is spacing being added to the right of the "g " causing the slight shift.

Try highlighting the last letter of the text ("g") and setting letter spacing to 0.

Regards,

Message was edited by: Colby Ausen

• 4. Re: Aligning Text in Text Frame
                ddelano Community Member

I tried your suggestion but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I used the letter space tool on the text panel to reduce the spacing to 0 then checked to ensure I had no spaces before or after my text or extra spaces between words. I aligned the text to centre then used the letter space tool to stretch out my text to how I wanted it to look within the text frame. It looked good in design mode but when previewed in Muse or in a browser the text was as before skewed to the left side of the text frame. 

• 5. Re: Aligning Text in Text Frame
                  Colby Ausen Adobe Employee

ddelano,

Try highlighting the last letter ("g") and setting the letter spacing to 0.

• 6. Re: Aligning Text in Text Frame
                    ddelano Community Member

Thanks Colby. That was exactly the problem.

Cheers

Donald