Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

customer specific web app item value?

Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The client is a fund manager. The goal is to have a secure zone to which investors log in to see the value of their investment, where the fund in which they own units, the quantity of units, and the total $ value of units owned (investment value) is listed - could be entire history or just one line being current value.

A simple web app won't work, because that would show the same value to all customers. What I'm looking for is kind of the functionality of cases, or orders - being able to provide a customer specific case or order within the secure zone - but pertaining only to the customer's holdings in a specific fund.

The closest I've gotten is by creating a catalogue called Funds, and a product called for example, Resources Fund One, allocating a price of say $20,000 (being per unit $ value).

I manipulated the order layout thus:

<table class="order-list" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td><strong>{tag_ordername}</strong></td>

<td> <span class="date">{tag_createdate}</span></td>

<td><span class="total">{tag_invoicetotal}</span></td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

and inserted it in the secure zone member page:

Investments held:

{module_order,a,,Default}

and manually created an order for a customer, specifying how many units of the product Resources Fund One purchased, to show on customer login:

Investments held:

Resources Fund One24-Apr-2012 04:42 PM$250,000.00

Create date could instead be last update date. The order name (which in this case is also the manually typed product name) has a system link to invoice (I can edit the invoice to output some other data - like fund details perhaps), but to update customer investment values, my client will have to manually create a new order, or edit the existing order for every single customer, typing in the fund name, unit value and number of units held, each time, for every single customer. The margin for human error is too great. It needs to be a system update.

So I don't think using the product and order process is going to work. Although how that module outputs to the member landing page is what I want.

The web app module looks like it could best serve this purpose, but I'm stuck on how to make this work in terms of customer-specific output and updating of unit $ value.

Ideally, the client will update the unit $ value in a single web app item field (a different web app item for each fund) once each day, and that automatically updates customer data in the secure zone to reflect the new value of customer holdings.

Hope I'm making sense. Any ideas?

Or.... would I just do a new web app item every single day, and have the output be module_webapp,latest,1? That would at least give current value per unit. If I have to write some javascript for equation, can I inlude the module_webapp,latest,1 within the javascript as one of the computable values?

Has anyone else done something similar? Any experience in coding javascript using modules?

Many thanks.

TOPICS
Web apps

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On your web app items, under more options, you can set 'Submitted By:' on each web app item to be the customer the information is related to.

Then in the secure zone use the web app module {module_webappscustomer}. http://kb.worldsecuresystems.com/134/bc_1345.html?bc-partner#main_Web_App_Modules

This way people logged in can only see their specific web app items and the information can be unique to each customer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 25, 2012 Apr 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Brian, but I'm not sure that answers my question.

Sure, I can create a single web app item for every single client of my customer, manually.

Sure, I can create and 'allocate' that single web app item to each customer manually.

I pray the customer doesn't have hundreds of clients. And I would have to teach my customer how to do this convoluted process for every new client.

But the one thing this doesn't do is answer the question of updating the value of units held.

It seems the order module remains the closes to what I am looking for in that it allows an equation, and is automatically customer specific.

However, I am looking for a way to achieve a single daily update by the customer as to the value of the units held by each client. This can be done via the product module - update price. But this does not update existing orders. Exisitng orders are fixed at the price on the day. The customer wants to update the value once, in one place, and have that amend all existing 'orders' to reflect the new total value of units held by each individual client, and to have this show in each client's member area.

If you can think of a way of doing this in webapps or via the order module, this is what I am looking for. Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I ask why your not using cases for this?

We have built pretty much very similar and using Cases, web forms and Custom CRM stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each case is created and updated manually, yes? Cases are records of foms completed, not equations.

The ordering module as stated above appears to be the closes to what I am looking for. That one can update the value of the product, answers the requirement of having a single daily manual update by the customer, and as stated above, I can edit the link through and format of the order to work for this function.

What I don't have is a way to do a single update on the product price that forces an update on existing 'orders'.

Please see my original and follow up questions above for what I am trying to achieve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Cases created manually? - No

- Cases are much more then records of forms and forms do your calculations

- Basically everything you have indicated we have done for very similar companies using forms and cases and the issues your bumping heads with are solved with the extra elements you get with cases and the forms.

If you want to go web apps still your not going to solve the issues you have and I am sorry I can not help you there, as I have/would suggest the route I did. If you not found that useful for you I am sorry but I know it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I would sincerely appreciate you explaining how that works, because I can't see it.

Thanks Liam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you first please explain what you want the system to auto update?

You want one unit value to update all of a given value for all customers throughout the system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For each client, the customer will have to record the Fund, the dollar value of a unit, and the number of units held by the client, to give a total dollar value of investment on a given date - say purchase date - within the client secure zone.

From then on, the customer will need to update each day, the current value of a Fund unit. This should then recalculate automatically, the investment values for each client.

Ideally, the customer will update the fund's unit $ value in one place, once each day, and that automatically updates client data in their secure zone to reflect the new value of their total investment. The goal is to have a secure zone to which investors log in to see the value of their investment, where it states the fund in which they own units, the quantity of units, and the total $ value of units owned (investment value).

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines