• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

synonyms with multiple words (acronyms)

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, any tech writer knows that some organizations wouldn't be what they are without seven million acronyms.

I want to set up my synonym lists so that if a user searches for, say,  "BB," they will get "Berry Burst," too.

But the synonym list will only allow BB to equal one other word. Any recommendations for other ways to do this? The keywords seem cumbersome

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see the Sticky Topic Before You Post and note the section Include the Edition and Version.

I just tested in RoboHelp 9. I was able to duplicate both Words and Synonyms.

As a user a duplicated synonym could be confusing as the results will be for both words.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit more testing shows the problem is with two character words.

The more people who report a bug or request a feature, the more likely it is to be actioned. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. Any way around this? I know it sounds as if it'd be confusing to users, but unfortunately we have eight million ways to refer to the same thing.

I am trying to figure out a strategy....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, sorry. I have RH 9, WebHelp layout.

Just to make sure I am understanding--when I try to add a synonym for BB=Berry Burst, I get the message "Synonym editor cannot map phrases. Please provide a single word."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh--and a question. Correct to assume that the phrase list doesn't affect the search at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You are quite nicely illustrating why an Index is much preferred over a Search.

In the Index, you add the term BB and you are able to point to topics that list Berry Blast or whatever you like.

However, I totally agree with my esteemed colleague Peter in that you really should consider adding your concerns to the Wish Form so the developers are aware of the need or desire to accomplish what you are wanting to accomplish.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigh. Yes, I have worked very hard to build these items into the index. But now I am focused on optimizing the search, because users like it.

Peter, your argument for ZoomSearch is compelling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, my own users LOVED the search!

Wanna know why? Because they didn't have one!

I pulled the ole switcharoo and gave them a nice index that was LABELED Search. But you likely can't do that.

As I understand it, you are wanting something that I'm guessing even ZoomSearch may not provide. You want them to search for BB and end up finding Berry Blast (or whatever term) and have that term highlighted. No? I bow to Peter the ZoomSearch king around here, but I'd be shocked if even ZoomSearch allowed that.

The only other thing I can think of here is to maybe create a Glossary Topic that would list your terms in a large table. In one column, you have the term BB and in the other, the other possibilities that you could then link out to appropriate topics. Then a search would find BB and present "Glossary" where they could more easily figure things out.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saw your comment about that, and grin.

If there were better ways to optimize the search, we wouldn't need the index. Really it would be awesome to combine the strengths of both options into one feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@twxrx Synonyms are single word, you are trying to add a phrase.

@rick Took you long enough to find something ZoomSearch does not cover! I'll ask if it is something they could enable.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, very true. But the synonym feature is the closest I've come to what I'd like to accomplish with my example.

Help, am I stuck with keywords?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thinking on what you say about index vs. search, Rick....

Even if RH had a fab search engine and put it in tomorrow, it would not change the fact that RH users would want to optimize it. This means that the effort to define keywords is never wasted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2012 Apr 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took this up with ZoomSearch and they confirmed there are difficulties with phrase synonyms but they continue to look at it.

They also mentioned a feature they do have. "They could consider using Recommended Links, which DO work for phrases. So that you can have both "BB" and "Berry Burst" bring up a recommended link to the Berry Burst page for example."

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the effort. I will be looking into this integration possibility.

The synonym feature in RH is weak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be fair, the dictionary says a synonym is a word that can substitute another, not a phrase.

If ZoomSearch haven't cracked it, you can bet it is not easy.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Probably not…but acronyms are a real problem with a lot of organizations. There are just too many. But you can’t fight em.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp