4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2012 7:52 AM by John Hawkinson RSS

Urgent! Need help with corrupted files.

E Diane King

I have two files that have become corrupted in some strange way that crashes InDesign when I try to export to PDF. I tried to print to PDF as a work around, and Distiller crashes. These are two of a whole bunch of files that I need to send to the printer yesterday, and they are all made the same way and the others exported without a problem!

The files are in ID CS5 (fully patched). Each file consists of one InCopy story containing all sorts of complicated anchored objects and cross references, etc, flowed into a template. They preflight and save and package just fine. 

What I have tried:

I have tried exporting to IDML and opening that.  Still crashes. 

I have tried saving the file to my desktop and unlinking the IC story.  Still crashes.

I have tried on a Mac and a PC, with and without fonts. Still crashes.

I have opened the IDML in CS5.5 on a PC. Still crashes.

I have placed the IC story into a blank document--it exports without a problem.

I have stripped the IC story out of the template--it exports without a problem.

I copied the text from the blank document that exported without a problem into the template that exported without a problem. It crashes.

Please help! I need these PDFs to send to the printer ASAP, and I can't get them to export, and I've run out of things to try.