14 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2012 3:46 PM by figrsk8r RSS

Error opening document

figrsk8r Community Member

Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop.

I received this error when I opened a document I created in CS6 and went to edit it. I also tried to open it in CS5 with the same result. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Error opening document
          Noel Carboni Community Member

Is it possible you saved the file with the wrong extension?

What format did you save it as?

Have you tried opening the file with a program such as IrfanView, which will help identify files with wrong extensions?

-Noel

• 2. Re: Error opening document

psd. I've had weird stuff happening when I go to save a document. It wants to save it with a different extension than what I select. The only way I've been able to save a jpg file is to save for web. It wants to save it as a dcm, when I try to save a tiff I get a raw extension, png... pcx. It's really odd. I don't have any problems though when I load a photo from LR and then save it and go back to LR. If I create a new document or try to do a save as, that's when I'm having problems.

• 3. Re: Error opening document

Okay, I think I know what's going on...

You have somehow connected the current version of Photoshop with plug-ins from an older version of Photoshop - e.g., by selecting an Extra Plug-ins Folder or by copying the entire plug-ins folder from an older version.

You absolutely must not allow Photoshop to enumerate the plug-ins that were supplied by Adobe with a different version of Photoshop.  That WILL cause problems.

Undo that coupling and you should be okay.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Error opening document
                eclic Community Member

i just had this same problem. could not open psd after saving it.

i changed the extension to tiff and it opened.

not really happy about this - never happened to me in 10+ years of PS.

Screen shot 2012-04-26 at 3.11.48 PM.png

• 5. Re: Error opening document
                  Pete.Green Adobe Employee

eclic,

Same goes for you like Noel suggested, you've likely selected to point to your Photoshop CS5 plugins folder in the "additional plug-ins folder" in the plug-in preferences.

Uncheck that additional plugin folder, restart Photoshop, and try again.

• 6. Re: Error opening document
                    eclic Community Member

not that I know of -

in prefs - there is no additional plug in folder.

can you walk me through fixing it? - b/c I haven't changed anything in weeks.

• 7. Re: Error opening document

eclic,

Are you having trouble with all files?

Do you have trouble saving? or just opening the one .psd file that you had to change the extension of?

Was it just with one particular .psd file?

• 8. Re: Error opening document
                        eclic Community Member

2 psd's. just created less than 2 hours ago. i've been using the beta since the beginning and never had this issue.

• 9. Re: Error opening document

Not everybody is seeing this.

So something on your computer is causing the saving problem.

If you create a new doc, save it, can you open that?

• 10. Re: Error opening document

Might be a good idea if you could make a PSD you've saved available online so Pete or others could download it and see inside what might be wrong.

Or the file might be fine and you've developed some problem with opening files.  That would be good to learn.

-Noel

• 11. Re: Error opening document
                              eclic Community Member

i created a new doc saved as psd and it opened. so it's either just those 2 files or an intermittant issue.

i'll keep an eye on it.

unfortunately i deleted the psd's that i converted to tiffs already.

• 12. Re: Error opening document

Ok eclic,

Let us know if it happens again.

• 13. Re: Error opening document

I was able to today, but only as a psd. I'm still having the save as issue.

• 14. Re: Error opening document

one additional note, this file only included a photo and no text, however. I used onyx again today and completely cleared my font cache to see if that was an issue. I created the same document in cs5 before doing this, however, no problem. I didn't have time to recreate it again in cs6 after clearing the cache. And no, at this point, I haven't even added an additional plug-ins folder.  I'll let you know if I continue to have problems. This was the first time I've actually saved a document without first loading it from LR, been really busy editing pics. I've just found work arounds for the save as. One issue that may be related is that I recently purchased the Canon 5d Mark iii and had to install the beta version of camera raw (just thought of this as I wasn't working in raw at the time). Could this possibly be causing part of my problem? ~d