Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp HTML crashes

Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project that just started crashing on open. 8.0.2.208. I don't know what information you may need to help. Let me know. I had just finished importing .htm files from another project.

I've tried renaming the .cpd and using the .hhp. The project crashed on open each time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 27, 2012 Apr 27, 2012

It likely the problem is related to something in the import. Take a backup of the project even though it is broken at the moment. Then use Windows Explorer to delete the topics created by the import and the CPD

Hopefully the project will then open and just need a minimal cleanup assuming the import is the cause.

Then backup the project again before you attempt to import afresh. See if you can identify anything in the document that might cause problems.

There are topics on my site about importing.

Se

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2012 Apr 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It likely the problem is related to something in the import. Take a backup of the project even though it is broken at the moment. Then use Windows Explorer to delete the topics created by the import and the CPD

Hopefully the project will then open and just need a minimal cleanup assuming the import is the cause.

Then backup the project again before you attempt to import afresh. See if you can identify anything in the document that might cause problems.

There are topics on my site about importing.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked, kinda. I deleted the .xpj yesterday when trying to open the project with the .hhp. Today I deleted the imported .htm files and tried the .hhp. Crashed but it created a new .xpj which I was able to open. Now the project is pretty much bare. Have to import all .htm files, reset their properties for master pages and css, and recreate TOC.

I think I'll read your docs on importing. Thanks Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant the CPD as now corrected in my previous reply.

The XPJ should not be deleted except in extreme cases for reasons explained in Opening Projects on my site. How to fix what you have broken that way is covered.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where would I find information on importing .htm files on your site ( www.grainge.org<http://www.grainge.org> I assume?)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops! You will not find information on importing HTML files. I was thinking about importing Word docs when I put that in. Apologies.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this is interesting. I was pulling all the htm files into the project folders when I got to the last one, where I had done the import yesterday that we think caused the crash, imported the htm files into that project folder (minus the one from yesterday) and it crashed. Got it back up using the .hhp. I think I'll import those .htm files one at a time and see who the culprit is. Sherlock is on the case!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Baker Street awaits further news.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stay tuned, Watson!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 03, 2012 May 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sherlock is off the case. Fortunately, we have two versions of our produce that, at this point, are quite similar. I copied the older project to replace my crashed project and am rebranding/updating. Maybe I'll start making backups. Hmmm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp