12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2012 8:03 AM by alidabbs RSS

Updating Library... on iPad 3

alidabbs Community Member

I have prepared four folios for my new app:

- a retail folio at 1024x768

- a free preview folio at 1024x768

- a retail folio at 2048x1536

- a free preview folio at 2048x1536

On my iPad 2, I log in to Adobe Content Viewer using the Adobe ID for my new app. I can see the both 1024x768 folios (retail and free) that I created using Folio Builder and along with the 1024x768 free preview folio I published to the fulfilment server. As expected, I cannot see the 1024x768 retail folio or either of the 2048x1536 folios.

On my iPad 3, I log in to Adobe Content Viewer using the Adobe ID for my new app. I can see nothing at all apart from the Adobe Content Viewer folio. The title bar is stuck in a loop, saying "Updating Library..."

What is annoying is that I could see all the folios on my iPad 3 without problem all week. After I published them all this morning, they were perfectly visible. Now this evening they have all vanished and Adobe Content Viewer is playing silly buggers.

Any suggestions?

Alistair

• 1. Re: Updating Library... on iPad 3
          Bob Bringhurst - Adobe Adobe Employee

If it's working properly on the iPad 2 but not the iPad 3, I would restart the iPad 3 and then uninstall/sync/reinstall the viewer.

• 2. Re: Updating Library... on iPad 3

No, I've tried this. What appears to be causing it is the presence of the 2048x1536 retail folio. If I remove it from the Distribution Service, Content Viewer on the iPad 3 is then able to update its Library.

I read elsewhere in this forum that this is a problem that may be caused by having more than one retail folio with the same Product ID. I'm not sure how to get around this, since I thought I needed the two retail folios to have the same Product ID because they are my iPad 1/2 and iPad 3 renditions of the same magazine.

Ali

• 3. Re: Updating Library... on iPad 3

The 1024x768 retail and free preview folios are visible in the dev app on my iPad 2. No folios at all show in the dev app on my iPad 3... unless I remove one of the two renditions of the retail folios from the Distribution Service. This is driving me mad and is holding up submission to Apple.

Ali

• 4. Re: Updating Library... on iPad 3
                BobLevine CommunityMVP

The problem would likely manifest itself in the opposite direction, but you did publish the 2048 folio first, right?

Bob

• 5. Re: Updating Library... on iPad 3

Did you set up your renditions properly? Specifically, is the Folio Name the same between the renditions? If not, you'll get a spinning wheel in the library.

• 6. Re: Updating Library... on iPad 3

The Folio Names are the same. I have tried removing the 1024 retail folio and republishing it. I have tried removing the 2048 retail folio and republishing it. The only time anything is visible on the iPad 3 is when one of the retail folios has been removed. Removing the free folios makes no difference. As soon as both retail folios are in there, I'm back to watching "Updating Library...".

I have asked MailOnline for a new development mobileprovision file so that I can try the dev app on another iPad, but all this is just delaying me further. Surely there has to be a way of following the recommended method of publishing two renditions of the same folio without it failing like this?

Ali

• 7. Re: Updating Library... on iPad 3

Are you sure there's not an extra space or something like that in the Folio Name field?

• 9. Re: Updating Library... on iPad 3

OK, I thought I'd better start from scratch. I have removed all the folios from the distribution service and deleted the folios from Folio Producer. I then rebuilt all four folios in InDesign and Folio Builder. These folios look fine in Content Viewer. I have very carefully ensured that the metadata in Folio Producer is correct. I have successfully published the retail 2048 folio...

... and now nothing else will publish. Everything just hangs indefinitely in Folio Producer on the last article, usually around 94 or 97%.

I wish DPS would work properly. This is driving me mental.

• 10. Re: Updating Library... on iPad 3

Success at last. I persuaded Folio Producer to publish the free folios after half a dozen attempts around midnight. But the 1024 retail folio simply refused to upload to completion - then sat stubbornly in limbo in such a way that Folio Producer would let me neither Publish nor Delete it.

I finally managed to Publish the 1024 retail folio at 5.50am this morning (Monday). I didn't do anything different or change anything, I just kept trying.

Hey, it only took me since last Friday. Good job this isn't a daily!

• 11. Re: Updating Library... on iPad 3
                            Mark0

Were you trying to download the updates from the same Internet connection the whole time? We've noticed that the router settings for your wi-fi can really wreak havoc on update downloads, causing them to fail nearly every time if done incorrectly.

• 12. Re: Updating Library... on iPad 3

I'm not using wifi but thanks for the suggestion, anyway. It sounds like good advice.

Ali