Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate causes PowerBuilder apps to hang

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2006 Sep 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When I use Captivate to create a training movie for a PowerBuilder application, the first time I click on a button on the application I got the "Error Loading Library" message. If I click on the same button again, this time I don't see that same message. Then I click on a drop-down text field, the application hangs. At this point there is not much I could do but to kill the application.

Can someone shed light on this issue. Thanks.

Tuan
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tuan and welcome to our community

Unfortunately Captvate has issues with PowerBuilder. Take a look at the following Technical Note.

Click here to read the TechNote

Wish I had better news... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r ,

Thanks for the useful info. Please post the solution if you ever come to know.

Tuan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 05, 2006 Oct 05, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Tuan,

This is resolved with Adobe Captivate 2. The TechNote that Rick linked will be updated soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2006 Oct 06, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will try it. I hope I will be able to persuade my company to use Captivate to create application trainings for our customers.

I just want to say that this forum has been very useful. Keep it going, guys!!!!!

Tuan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that Captivate 2 fixed this issue? I downloaded the trial version and it still causes my app, written in PowerBuilder 10, to permanently hang any time I perform an action such as clicking on a drop down field.

I would LOVE to have this fixed with Captivate 2 because it could save me literally months of work. Please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

I have not used Captivate 2 yet. I assume the PowerBuilder 10 drop down list issue is resolved with Captivate 2 as indicated in privious reply. If not, I am sure they will resolve this issue soon.

Tuan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2006 Oct 10, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also eagerly waiting for Captivate 2 in hopes Adobe would come through on their promise to fix the PowerBuilder problem(s). I downloaded the trial app yesterday and was disappointed to find it still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Steve,

Yes, it has indeed resolved these issues. The resolution was optimized for PowerBuilder 10.5, so you may need to tweek things for 10.0 to function correctly. As soon as that TechNote is updated, it will have the details. I would expect the updated details to go live within a couple days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This TechNote has been updated and should be able to get you around any freezing issues you are seeing while recording PowerBuilder applications from Adobe Captivate 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RANT
TowBoat, who made those promises?
quote:

... in hopes Adobe would come through on their promise to fix the PowerBuilder problem(s).
I've been all the way around the block, and that statement shows as much chutzpah as I've ever seen. There has never been such a promise.

The fact that a Tech Note has been issued to help users deal with a problem notwithstanding, it is deceptive and unfair to state that a "promise" was made and somehow, Adobe Systems was screwing its users by not keeping its promises. Shame on you ... but if you lose your job, you could probably do well in a new career as a political campaign ad-writer...

Note: I am not an employee of Adobe, so I can speak out when an employee cannot, and someone needs to keep the record straight - Adobe, or any software company does NOT make " promises" regarding new features - or "fixes". Period.
END RANT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2006 Oct 11, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larry,

It's clear that you enjoy Adobe products, and fervently support both Adobe and the products they create. The answers you provide are often helpful, and I know that I've looked for your name in a thread for the "final word" on a subject.

However, your tone is often very argumentative and defensive - much more so than even the tone of Adobe employees. While you are not paid by Adobe, you most certainly do represent the company in some context with your "Community Expert" designation. To say otherwise is to argue semantics and not perception.

In the years that I worked in customer service in various fields, I learned to deal with upset or rude customers - even the irrational ones - with politeness and professionalism. I believe this would serve you better here on the forums - I'm posting this publicly because I believe that you're doing a disservice to Adobe with posts like the one above. I've seen a number of posts in a similar tone.

Let Adobe defend itself, if necessary, and just ignore the negative posts. My opinion, of course.

-Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2006 Oct 13, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't mean to set you off on a rant. I didn't think my comments were slamming Adobe, exaggerating, nor lying. No malicious intent... sorry for the inconvenience.

Based on what I've seen Captivate seems to be the best and that's what I want to use. The Tech Note did not work for us (running PB10)... any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

I find this forum to be very helpful and please it keep it going in good spirit. Thanks.

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

I find this forum to be very helpful and please it keep it going in good spirit. Thanks.

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-Aaron,
Try to help someone with a Captivate problem - or ask for help with one. Don't spend your time defending your idea that a "correct" way to handle lies, exaggerations, and falsehoods is to "ignore the negative posts". Do not respond to liars. Accept falsehoods. Let anyone say anything, but nnever create ripples. Hmmmm I'm just trying out various versions of your solution and it just keeps sounding like "Let the inmates run the place - don't upset them".

I'm sure you think you're being the responsible one, helping the world to avoid conflict. You have a right to that view of yourself. For myself, I have time to help people all over the world with their Captivate questions - on the forums, on the phone, and through email - and I have time left over to remind people that the truth means something in the course of human discourse. Ignore the negative posts. What a great concept!

Sorry Aaron, you won't get any points for saving Larry from himself. I like me just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2006 Oct 12, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larry,

Are we talking about a computer software product here, or international conflict? I don't think you're keeping the discussion in the proper context, and you're not addressing my concern in a direct and rational way.

At any rate, I generally find your posts helpful.

-Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 12, 2006 Oct 12, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaron, I'm going to let yours be the last word. I wish you a happy and productive day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 18, 2006 Oct 18, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TowBoat,

If the TechNote did not work for you, please contact our Technical Support departmet. They should be able to help identify why this is failing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2006 Oct 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently got Captivate and Robohelp and I am having this problem of Powerbuilder hanging up too. I checked the list of updates and there is no download for Captivate 2 yet. Any idea when it will be ready? Thanks, Sharon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sharon

Are you using Captivate 1 or 2?

Sorry, your post isn't clear as to whether you are using Captivate 1 and expecting to see a download appear that upgrades your version 1 to version 2, or if you are already using Captivate version 2 and are looking for an update to tweak version 2.

If you are in the former group, you will need to check with Adobe regarding upgrading a version 1 to a version 2.

If you are in the latter group, you should know that there is not update that has appeared since version 2 was released earlier this month.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sharon, please try this link to download the trial or to buy Captivate 2 instead. I don't know why the normal "Update" link is still showing Captivate 1.0.1 but this should get you where you want to go.

Sorry, I can't offer any help with your Power Builder issue, but maybe downloading Captivate 2.0 will help make your Friday a little better. Have a great one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Ooops - didn't see ya standing there, Rick. How's your day going?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources