• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Caching Problem Persists!

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2006 Oct 19, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sevearl weeks ago I posted a topic about having a probelm with our help windows being recalled when a user would hit the back button in their browser. I tried a quick fix by inserting a no cache tag in each of the help pages I created but it did not work. Our developer believe it has to do with one of the javascripts automatically created by Robohelp. Does nayone know of this probelm elsewhere, or how to fix it???

Thanks!
Tim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 19, 2006 Oct 19, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim,

Can you clarify the sequence of events?

For example,

1. I open the primary application, which runs in a Web browser.
2. I click help, and a new browser window opens to show WebHelp.
3. I read help topics, follow links, use the back button, maybe use the TOC and index -- all the while, the primary application window is still open in the background.
4. I click the primary app window to focus it in the foreground, but I do not close the WebHelp window.
5. I work in the primary application. When I click the back button here, the history from the WebHelp window turns up in the main app window, and it shows a help topic instead of the previous page of the app?

Is that what you're finding?

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2006 Oct 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Close, here is my sequence:

1. I open the primary application, which runs in a Web browser.
2. I click help, and a new browser window opens to show WebHelp.
3. I read help topics, follow links, use the back button, maybe use the TOC and index -- all the while, the primary application window is still open in the background.
4. I close the HELP window and decide I need to go back in the primary application
5. I click the back button in the browser and the HELP window reopens!

We found a work around, where when you intiially click on the HELP link it opens the help window, but it also opens a window that runs in the background. When you close the help window, the background window remains open, but now the user can navigat backwards using the back button in the browser without any problems. However there have been some bugs and issues with this (the app opens the correct help window, but becomes confused and redirects to another page..)
Here is a link to the forum where the fix was located:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=65&catid=451&threadid=1140134&e...

I am looking for something that uses the .js file inlcuded, but with some type of modification to kill this issue.

Thanks,

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim,

I don't see this behavior. The browser history in the main app is not contaminated by the link to WebHelp.

I think you need to examine the way your developer is calling Help.

This forum is full of questions about how to get rid of an extra blank window.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>>This forum is full of questions about how to get rid of an extra blank window.

Where??? The probelm is that robohelp has a bug that HAS NOT BEEN FIXED by adobe. I have found plenty of posts that all offered the same solution, however all said that the blank window will remain. This probelm only occurs in IE as far as I knwo because it is not an issue on firefox.

Thanks,
Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tim

Regarding your statement

The probelm is that robohelp has a bug that HAS NOT BEEN FIXED by adobe.

Indeed RoboHelp has several bugs that have not been fixed by Adobe. However, let's at least give Adobe the benefit of the doubt here.

Do they own RoboHelp now? Yes
Are they actively developing it? Yes
Does RoboHelp have bugs? Show me a software package that doesn't

The heart of the matter here is that while Adobe now has ownership of RoboHelp, it's a recent ownership. Prior to that, Macromedia owned it (and tried to kill it). Adobe is currently working to get their arms around the whole RoboHelp thing. Let's at least reserve judgement about outstanding bugs until we see what they have done with the next version of RoboHelp. I feel they deserve that.

I'll also be happy to report via the beta testing channels the situation with the extra blank window.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I suppose it's my fault this thread got sidetracked onto the extra window issue. As it happens, I don't get an extra window in IE; will test other browsers.

And to repeat: Not everyone sees the primary app's browser history getting contaminated by WebHelp.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp