4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2012 6:07 AM by Samoreen

Lightroom 4.1 (RC2) a disaster

ChrisFourie-Lipman

Something went wrong with the new RC2 version of Lightroom 4.1.

Just work on two monitors and you will see, The two images look totally different from one screen to the next. I removed RC2 and went back to RC1 and the problem was solved.

I also found that the adjustment tools (Exposure, Contrast, Highlights, Shadows, Whites, Blacks, Clarity, Vibrance & Saturation no longer works as affective as in RC1. I just cannot get the same results with RC2 that I got with RC1

• 1. Re: Lightroom 4.1 (RC2) a disaster
          Stuart_001 Level 1

I use a dual monitor set-up, but with one of them being my laptop screen.  The two screens are calibrated weekly, and I have seen no major change between LR3.6, LR 4 and LR 4.1RC.  The laptop screen is never 'perfect', but I have definitely seen no difference in screen performance.

Stuart

• 2. Re: Lightroom 4.1 (RC2) a disaster
            ChrisFourie-Lipman Level 1

I see the difference between two monitors have been reported elsewhere, at least I know I'm not seeing things and I'm not the only one that noticed this new issue:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/996429?tstart=30

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr4_rc2_differences_in_rendering_in_ library_and_develop_modules

• 3. Re: Lightroom 4.1 (RC2) a disaster
              -Agfaclack- Level 3

well the whole LR4 release is not what i have expected from adobe.

starting with the ACR <-> LR issues to the buggy releases.

and im one of the guys who has very few issues (for example i have no speed issues).

but i guess that is what you get when you release on a schedule and not when something is finished.

i would have released LR together with CS6 (ACR7) to avoid a lot of the confusion about ACR support.

yes i know many LR user don´t own photoshop. and i get the argument "why should we wait for photoshop?".

but to be honest,  the release dates of both apps are close enough and LR4 was not ready for prime time as it seems.

overall the LR4 release left a bad taste.

it feels like a rushed out release and it was not good for lightrooms reputation.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 4.1 (RC2) a disaster
                Samoreen Level 3

Hi,

-Agfaclack- wrote:

well the whole LR4 release is not what i have expected from adobe.

but i guess that is what you get when you release on a schedule and not when something is finished.

overall the LR4 release left a bad taste.

it feels like a rushed out release and it was not good for lightrooms reputation.

Agreed. Another step forward in the wrong direction : less in-house quality insurance and regression testing (or a less skilled QI staff ) and more "in-the-field beta testing" after the official release, that is, after people are requested to pay for the code. Not a new trend but this time, it seems that they have really crossed the red line. Do not expect apologies for this, though.

For a software developer, the lack of effective regression testing is particularly obvious with LR 4 : bugs not present in the first beta and appearing in the official release or in the subsequent RCs are a good indicator of this. Or the whole software architecture is out of control with a lot of unexpected side effects after each code change.

I have recommended to my fellow photographers to not upgrade to LR 4 until stabilized versions of LR 4.1, ACR 7.x and PS CS6 are made available, which will obviously take some time. LR 3.6 and PC CS5 are relatively stable (although I now have some regular crashes since I switched to Windows 7 64-bit) and there is no reason to spend time and money to do the job that should have been done by the QI dpt. at Adobe.

I may accept to be a cash cow if I get eatable grass in my feeding trough. For the moment, we're just getting weed from Adobe.