2 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2012 1:07 PM by GNe68 RSS

How can the parameters of a DVD export in PAL Large Screen format be personalized ?

GNe68

Context:

1) using Premiere Elements 10 (French);

2) import VOB files generated by a video recorder (PAL, 720x576 pixels, large screen 16/9, interlaced with top field first, etc.) using the PAL hard disk 48Khz large screen standard preset;

3) edit the content, i.e mainly cut out sequences;

4) re-export as VOB video files using the pre-defined PAL large screen DVD parameters.

Exported videos are degradated, e.g. some parameters like the first field of the interlacing is changed.

• 1. Re: How can the parameters of a DVD export in PAL Large Screen format be personalized ?
          Steve Grisetti MVP

Make sure that, when you start a project in which you are going to use DVD video as your source, that you select the settings for a Hard Disk Camcorder. This will set up your project so that the interlacing is correctly set up. (DVD's use an frame interlacing format that's the opposite of DV camcorder video.)

Since you can't change this setting once your project is started, you can, as an alternative, right-click on each clip in your timeline and select Field Options, the set each to Reverse Field Dominance.

• 2. Re: How can the parameters of a DVD export in PAL Large Screen format be personalized ?
            GNe68 Community Member

Thanks Steve.

I have done some further testing in the meantime:

The project setup using the preset ”PAL - Hard Disk, Flash Memory CamCorder - Widescreen 48 kHz” is working fine as you indicated.

The problem is coming when creating a DVD: the standard preset for PAL DVDs is changing the interlacing to Lower Field First whereas the project (and imported DVD) is setup with Upper Field First. The result is that sequences with a lot of motion are getting jerky and don’t look good.

For comparison purpose, I tested the export to MPEG2 files of the same project using the “Computer Export Files” option, and by setting the “Field Order” to “Lower” and “Upper” respectively. The result is clear: the file generated with “Upper” field first provides the expected quality.

My questions:

1. Can we get a possibility to edit the PAL DVD rendering preset file(s) (e.g. the XML files located in the Program Files folder) ?
            2. Can we get the same feature for setting the parameters of the DVD rendering as available for the Computer Export ?
            3. Can we get a simple tool to recode MPEG2 files into a DVD compatible format ?
            4. What else can you propose to ensure integrity of the quality parameters of DVDs through the import/edit/export cycle ?

Thanks for any support on this.