17 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2012 4:52 AM by Anyfxs1 RSS

Always 5.1 track audio

Anyfxs1 Community Member

Using CS5.5 am having a problem with audio where whatever track I try to place stereo or mono audio material on from browser, it always lays it in a 5.1 track.

If I delete 5.1 tracks it just remakes them and puts the material there. The edit works ok, but I end up having to remove the empty mono and stereo tracks and work with 5,1 only. This is not just camera produced stereo but CD tracks and spot effects.

This seems to have happened after I worked up a sequence in 5.1 then found I had to buy a license to burn to Dolby 5.1, something that I was not prepared to do ( and was most annoyed that the license requirement was needed and not stated when buying the programme.. Vegas comes with it included).

This was about 4 projects ago. Since then the audio probem happens repeatedly.

Working generally in 1080P, originating direct from  AVHC cards, but as I say, it does not matter where the material comes from it always goes into 5.1 track and you cannot move it elsewhere afterwards..

Would really like to get over this problem and cannot find similar on the forum....over to the experts, I am a beginner having upgraded from Elements!

Thanks

• 1. Re: Always 5.1 track audio
          J. Simon Community Member

The only explanation I know of for audio going into a 5.1 track is that it actually is 5.1 audio.  So based on the information given at this point, the two most likely explanations are observer error (the audio really is 5.1) or reporting error (the tracks aren't 5.1).

• 2. Re: Always 5.1 track audio
            Anyfxs1 Community Member

Thank you for the fast response.. I have been playing again and it is

exactly as I say..if I open a stereo track of audio from a CD the browser

sees it as 5.1 and marks it as such. If I look at info in the browser

section it shows it as a 44.1 file stereo, however in the  Source monitor it

opens it as a 5.1 like this

• 3. Re: Always 5.1 track audio
              J. Simon Community Member

Can you post screen shots?

• 4. Re: Always 5.1 track audio
                Anyfxs1 Community Member

I did here is another version

• 5. Re: Always 5.1 track audio
                  Anyfxs1 Community Member

Here it is as an attachment file instead.

I have to go out filming now so thank you for your thoughts, I shall look

back tomorrow morning UK time

David

• 6. Re: Always 5.1 track audio
                    Stan Jones MVP

I think you are trying to attach a file via an email response. You must log onto the forum to do images.

• 7. Re: Always 5.1 track audio
                      Anyfxs1 Community Member

Hi Stan, have mastered using screenshot to Forum I think!

Thank you for your instructions!

Here are the screenshots showing as best I can what happens when you add material. You will notice that the audio file is shown in the project window as a 5.1 although it is not, its stereo CD track,( see second screenshot of same file opened in Audition,) however on the monitor window it has opened as if it is a 5.1 with all other tracke empty. I have stretched the Project window so you can see the data

The last shot shows some video in place which is also unmovable into the tracks 1  to 3 because it has been labelled as 5.1, it is actually a download of a  ttle fromof a 1940's film, again actually mono material. Thanks for looking

,Screenshot Prem Pro.PNGAudiition.PNGvideo.PNG

• 8. Re: Always 5.1 track audio
                        Ann Bens ACP/MVPs

Rightclick on clip in Project Panel, go to Modify/Audio Channels and set it to stereo an disable the flatliners.

• 9. Re: Always 5.1 track audio
                          Anyfxs1 Community Member

Hi Ann, thanks for helping. This is what I get, I can see what you mean but its all greyed out and nothing left or right click works. I admit I have not seen this panel before. getting rid of flatline chans is not a problem, but as in previous, all clips become 5.1 initially, thus putting them into the timeline they recreate 5.1 tracksModify.PNG

• 10. Re: Always 5.1 track audio
                            Ann Bens ACP/MVPs

Modify the clip before putting it on the timeline.

• 11. Re: Always 5.1 track audio
                              Anyfxs1 Community Member

Thank you..this has had me puzzling for hours. its  only a work around, as the next clip I import does the same in 5.1.again

My next project is a wedding with about 200 clips, this is going to still be a drag manually changing them all. What I do not understand is why it opens as 5.1 in the first place. Has to be a setting in the project to start with or a glitch in the software.

I have just confirmed this in a fresh test project and its just the same.

Regards

David

• 12. Re: Always 5.1 track audio
                                Stan Jones MVP

My next project is a wedding with about 200 clips,

Assuming they are not downloaded from the web, you should not have the same problem.

• 13. Re: Always 5.1 track audio
                                  Anyfxs1 Community Member

Just tested and yes I do and with material originated on a Cannon XM2 downloaded to my HHD direct,  via firewire, not via Prem Pro, also direct from Card from the main camera Panasonic AG -HMC41E originated.

As ever, everything opens as 5.1 .from HDD stored files as well. Open in PremElements they are normal stereo files as expected...not that Elements does 5.1.

Has to be a setting somewhere...

I think tomorrow I shall take off the software and re load it via un install and instal and see what happens, but any other ideas welcome.

• 14. Re: Always 5.1 track audio
                                    Ann Bens ACP/MVPs

When you select all the clips in the Project Window you can change them in one go.

You do not download but capture files from the XM2 and import/ingest from a flash card/HDD into Premiere.

Downloading is only done from the WEB.

Use CleanerTool before reinstalling.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

• 15. Re: Always 5.1 track audio
                                      Anyfxs1 Community Member

Great you are right, thats the work around that will do just tested it from the card!

Still odd why it happens in the first place!

Thanks

• 16. Re: Always 5.1 track audio
                                        Anyfxs1 Community Member

Only saw your top line to start, but it works, will try what you suggest re cleaner, but do not appear to have any other issues on the PC Will update but am much happier with the work around option.

Regs

David

• 17. Re: Always 5.1 track audio
                                          Anyfxs1 Community Member

Ann , Stan and Jim.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Took off  all the  Prem Pro /Encore etc prog, ran the  Adobe cleaner you linked me to and re installed.

Not got as far as a full edit yet, however the loading all sound as 5.1 has gone away and the sound files can be set in the appropriate tracks.

Many thanks for your fast responses and I have also learned things as I have gone along

Best regards

David.