20 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2012 4:58 AM by Frank-o_G RSS

Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)

Skysi

Without any warning my computer simplu shuts down, similar to the effect of unplugging it from the power outlet. No shutdown screen or anything. This happens somewhere during the process of exporting or importing photos. Any ideas?

Serge

• 1. Re: Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)
          Hal P Anderson Community Member

Serge,

Your computer is probably overheating. This is often caused by a buildup of dust. Try vacuuming it out.

Another potential problem is having one of your fans not working. Make sure that they all are spinning. One could have come unplugged or have a stray cable blocking its motion.

Hal

• 2. Re: Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)
            Skysi Community Member

Hi Hal,

Thanks for your responce. I agree this could have been a problem but not in my case. I regularly dust my computer and chances of it overheeting are slim to none. It's an overclocked power beast, recently bought. All five fans in a spaceoul full tower case spin like crazy and on top of that I have a liquid processor cooling system. It's 4.5 Ghz +24 MB of RAM.

I play processor havy games without so much as a warmup for hours. Lightroom activity is nothing compared to those. And yet Lightroom somehow does this to my computer. I have no idea what's going on

Serge

• 3. Re: Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)
              Jim Wilde Community Member

Have you actually run a CPU temperature monitor to check? Overheating would have been my first guess as well, as I've had a similar issue in the past. In fact I had it happen on my current system once, which also has liquid cooling, and it turned out to be dust on the radiator for the cooler which caused the problem.

I would think it would be worth running a monitor to at least eliminate overheating as a possible cause.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)
                Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață Community Member

Still, what about trying it at stock frequency?

• 5. Re: Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)
                  Skysi Community Member

The frequency does not matter. It cuts off my puter on any frequency. And trust me I have no overheating problems. I know this for a fact. And there's not a spec of dust anywhere either. This is extremely weird to say the least.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)
                    b_gossweiler Community Member

Did you measure (and log) all temperatures just before shutdown?

• 7. Re: Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)
                      Skysi Community Member

Unbelievable! Lightroom does not like my overclocked processor. It heats up to 100C before the circuts are turned off to prevent damage. Lightroom 3 didn't have this problem. I had to to a lower overclock setting to rectify this issue.

Definitely Lightroom 4 is too much of a CPU hog.

• 8. Re: Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)
                        Frank-o_G

It is LR4 that is causing your computer to shut down. I am having the same problems, even running cooling fans.

Doing bascis computing, my core temps are in the 50;s-60's, even running multiple applications. Once I open LR4 (no other applications open), the temp goes into the 70's. After viewing a few pictures (yes, just viewing), the temp goes up to about 80. Forget the Develope Module - it will shut my computer down in just a few minutes.

I have reported this to Adobe, and a tech responded that LR4 does put a load on computers and make them run hotter. He sent me directions on how to lower the performance on my computer, saying that it should make my computer run cooler. Now I ask you, why would I want to lower the performance of my computer? He also said that I should check for dust (not the problem), as many have on this subject. Why, I ask, is this problem only noted on LR4? It never happened on LR3,  CS6 beta, or any other application I run.

Lets not even go into LR4 being a RAM hog...

I don't use LR4 anymore, and won't until they get this issue fixed. I kept LR3 and glad I did. I use that.

• 9. Re: Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)
                          Skysi Community Member

I have a 6-core processor and 48 megs of RAM. So far I haven't noticed anything alarming in LR4's RAM consumption. As far as CPU, it might just have issues with certain CPUs.chip sets. I can't be sure but why do we have to reduce performance of our computers to be able to work with LR4. Thius is counterproductive.

Your case seems to be extreme though. So far, I haven't encountered any issues with the Develope mode. I might wnen I put LR4 through all its paces.

• 10. Re: Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)
                            Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață Community Member

Yeah! That is trully unbelievable!

• 11. Re: Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)
                              Frank-o_G Community Member

Skysi, I'm sure you won't notice any RAM performance issues. I don't know if you have a gaget to monitor core temps, but I found this gaget to be fairly accurate.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

• 12. Re: Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)
                                kbutzin Community Member

I was having a simular problem, always happened when I was working in the develop module, not import/export.  Figured it had to be a hardware/overheating issue so I called the manufacturer (Toshiba Laptop).  They replaced the motherboard, cooling modules and fans last week and I haven't had the problem since.   LR may just be causing a system that is already on the edge of failure to fail by pusing it just a little harder.  I ocassionally had the shutoff problem with the old board in PS CS5 when doing heavy processing, but  with LR4 was an every time I used it problem.

• 13. Re: Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)
                                  Skysi Community Member

Frank, thanks for the gadget. I use Easy Tune 6, but this one works pretty good too.

• 14. Re: Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)
                                    Skysi Community Member

kbutzin,

Nothing is failing on my system. I stress it with the most demanding software and latest games all day long at the top of my overclocking possibilities and the CPU temperature is anywhere near that the one I get on import and export in LR4. I also put my system through Sandra Pro stressing it to the limits and the temp stays normal for those stress levels. Certainly, nothing else is shutting my system down like LR4 does. I also open up 10 Canon 5D Mark II files in PSCS5 in a row and edit them with multiple layers while they all remain open with no overheating prob.

• 15. Re: Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)
                                      kbutzin Community Member

Something is failing and shuting the system off, LR is just the offender that is pushing it that far.  The tech that replaced the parts in my system said that he sees that problem alot when the video is pushed too hard due to the heat generated by todays video cards.  Do you have the latest video drivers installed?  As I understand it LR really stresses the video.  Not trying to say that LR doesn't have issues, it does, but if your system in shuting off, you have a hardware issue in your system also.  Software can only stress the system not cut the power, something on the board is doing that.  All of the tests you have done only means that your not doing the same things LR is doing.  My system started like yours is acting and over a period of months and got to the point that when I opened a D800 Raw file in the develop module it would power off almost every time, in LR 3.6 also, just not as often.  When  I started using LR 4 the problem became like yours, the mainboard was replaced and the problem hasn't showed up since.  If your overclocking your CPU, you are really stressing the system, temp readings don't always tell the whole story.  I built computers and owned and maintained the servers and hardware for a small ISP for about 15 years, so I seen lots of failures and replaced lots of hardware.  If your computer is just shutting off you have a hardware issue that will continue to get worse, LR is stressing it enough to reveal the fault where nothing else is.  I hope that this helps you out and allows you to see and believe what is really happening.

• 16. Re: Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)
                                        Skysi Community Member

Thanks, kbutzin, but It's not something. It's the CPU itself that's shutting down the system. CPUs are designed so that when the core temp. reaches maximum limit the processor's THERMTRIP# signal will activate shutdown to prevent damage to the processor.

For my processor, Tj max = 100C. Lightroom 4.1 drives all 6 cores to 100C when my CPU's overcloked to the maximum.

This CPUs is Corei7-980X Extreme Edition. There's nothing this beast can't take. Appart from playing games, I do intensive video editing and CAD/CAM on this machine and there's no overheating problem... My other computer is Core i7 950 with 4 cores. Well... LR4.1 overheats both CPU in the same fashion. And now for the funniest part. Today I was visiting my brother who has Core i7 975 CPU. I installed LR 4.1 on his system, overclocked it to the max and tried to import some images from my portable HD. Low and behold, after about 1 minute into import process the computer shut down. How about that? Could three powerful computers be failing at the same time? I think not.

When I reduce overclocking to the medium setting, the problem disapears on all three machines machines.

I'm interested in responses from people with overclocked CPU's. Do you have the same problem?

• 17. Re: Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)
                                          kbutzin Community Member

I think that uou just solved your own problem.  You're overclocking the CPU is what is causing the problem.  It's a well known fact that when you overclock you are exceededing the speeds at which things were proven reliable by tests.  Sometimes there is no problem other times, like now, there are.  When you overclock a CPU you are introducing a problem into an otherwise reliable system.  Stop overclocking and the problem you're creating will go aware. Adobe is not causing the problem, you are by exceeding the tested clock speds of the CPU, system board, memory, etc.

• 18. Re: Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)

kbutzin, read my post on April 29...

• 19. Re: Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)
                                              kbutzin Community Member

Frank,

Are you also overclocking?

If the CPU could be run at a higher freq and be reliable under all conditions, don't yuou think Intel would up the CPU rating and sell them at a higher price?  They don't because it's not reliable and creates an unstable system.

If your not overclocking, then I check the fans and cooling componets, get rid of all the dust.  The cooling componets should be able to keep the CPU within a normal temp range for a normally clocked system.  If not then something is not functioning at optimal levels, slow fans, dust, etc.

• 20. Re: Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)

Sorry for the delay, kbutzin... No, I do not overclock my computer. As a matter of fact, I had to Gooogle it to find out exactly what it was. That one was a little beyond me, LOL.

One of the reasons I haven't replied is because I've been spending time in LR4 doing catch up. I have not done a thing to my computer, not changed a single setting, yet I am not having a heating problem anymore. I can't explain this sudden turnaround, as Adobe hasn't provided us with any updates yet (I have NOT downloaded RC 1 or 2).

Also, the RAM usage problem I mentioned earlier seems to have disappeared.  I am nowhere near a computer expert, but it seems to me that Adobe had to have done something to the Lightroom programing to fix this heat and RAM problem.  Any thoughts?