5 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2012 11:01 AM by John T Smith RSS

No sound in HDV clip

anogr Community Member

I'm using Premiere Elements 9. I have successfully captured, edited, and exported one HDV tape to a mpeg-4 video.

Now, I'm working with a second HDV tape. The capture is fine with sound and all. VLC, for example will play the captured video file fine, but Premiere Elements won't play the sound for the last 10 minutes. I have tried exporting the video after editing but no sound there either.

I haven't made any changes to the sound settings so I have no idea what's happening and what I can do about it. Help would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: No sound in HDV clip
          Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP

When you say HDV, can you confirm that this is video from a hi-definition tape-based camcorder and that you are using Premiere Elements to capture this video over a FireWire connection?

• 2. Re: No sound in HDV clip
            anogr Community Member

That is right. HDV tape (1440x1080) from Canon HV20 to Premiere Elements using FireWire.

I have sound in both the camcorder and other media players for the entire tape, but Premiere Elements lost the sound for the last 10 minutes.

• 3. Re: No sound in HDV clip
              Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP

Lost the sound for the last 10 minutes? That's very different.

Try clearing the video from your project (right-click and select Clear -- it won't be deleted from your hard drive).

Then re-import the video to your project. This time make sure to let it completely conform before you start editing. (You can see the progress in the lower right of the interface.)

• 4. Re: No sound in HDV clip
                anogr Community Member

I somehow screwed up clearing and reimportin the video, but I started all over again with a new project and made sure it finished the indexing stuff and this time worked. Thanks for the help.

I had some other problems though, but I won't do anything about them

* The video was broken (black and silent) when I exported about 28 minutes to a 5 GB file .mp4 file. Happened to me twice, with a computer restart and new graphics drivers in between. Thinking there might be a 4 GB limit I removed some scenes and successfully exported a 3.9 GB file.

* Premiere Elements had some minor graphical bugs and a crash but nothing that caused any loss of work.

• 5. Re: No sound in HDV clip
                  John T Smith CommunityMVP

Any 4gig limit is imposed by the hard drive format... FAT32 has such a limit, NTFS has no limit

If you are on Windows, you may convert a FAT32 drive to NTFS by searching at http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

Search for...

convert FAT32 NTFS

and read the article(s)