Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp9 taking hours to generate project

Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently, my Robohelp9 is taking hours to generate the project. It get's stuck at "processing full-text-search data". I'm using a Win7 Operating system, but this probelm has not always been the case. Does anyone have any insight as to what the culprit is to my problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not much to go on there.

• Size of project. (No of topics for a start)
  • Location of project. Must be on a local drive.
  • Folder to which you are generating. Must also be local.
  • Is this webhelp?
  • Do the sample projects generate OK? Will tell us whether the problem is project related.

Try going to Tools > Options and ticking the option to always delete the cache, then close and reopen the project. Alternatively just manually delete the CPD file when the project is closed, it will rebuild on opening the project.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• 29 Topics total
  • Project is on local drive inside Robohelp9 Folder
  • Not sure of the answer to this question. (1st time user/neophyte)
  • Yes this happens in any layout accept Microsoft HTML Help. MHH takes about 1 min and a half to generate. Adobe AIR, WebHelp or WebHelp Pro will take hours to generate.
  • Yes sample projects generate ok. In fact, my project will generate just fine in the beginning stages. But the more topics I add, or content (pdf's & Word docs) I import & link then all of a sudden it takes hours to generate. And down at the bottom, you know as the script is running (in the Output View) during generation, there comes a point when it says "processing full-text-search data" and this is the point where it goes on and on for hours. All of the other processes (in Output View) run in a matter of a couple seconds or less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The one you are not sure of is most likely the problem. When you generate an output, there is a field saying where the output is to be created. That must be on your hard disk. I suspect you may be generating to a network drive.

Also I note that you are creating a WebHelp Pro output. That sounds like you have fallen into the trap of seeing that as a better version of WebHelp. It is in fact an output that requires RoboHelp Server. Do you have access to RoboHelp Server.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I don't have Robohelp Server....I have Robohelp HTML. So I guess that means I will not try to generate using Pro again. I took my Robohelp9 folder and moved it entirely to my desktop, to ensure I am not generating on the network drive. It is still taking forever to generate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your project should located in your c:\projects\project_name\ folder - help is generated to the \!SSL!\output_type\ folder within that project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

md1soc99 wrote:

I took my Robohelp9 folder and moved it entirely to my desktop, to ensure I am not generating on the network drive.

Sorry, but that's not good enough. You need to ensure the field where you specify the output folder and start page is correctly configured.

Can you post a screen capture of the properties dialog you see when you double-click your WebHelp layout?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I do this. The webpage will not allow me to load a printscreen?

"Can you post a screen capture of the properties dialog you see when you double-click your WebHelp layout"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the camera icon when in the web forum interface. You can import images then to your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I see the camera icon. But I'm trying to upload the print screen on a word doc (this is the only method I know of). Is there a way to save the print screen as a .gif, .jpg, etc...so that I can uploaded it using the camera icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure, I never use print screen - I've got a screen capture tool installed that saves images as files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click the image in the Word document and there will be an option to Save Image As. Use that to save the image and upload that.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 01, 2012 May 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture3.gif

Peter here is what is happening, notice at the bottom where it says "processing full text search data". Generating a project takes at 2 maybe 3 hours. And it spends it's entire time at that point-processing full text search data.

Capture4.gif

In this second frame, you can see the amount of time that is spent doing a full text search data & also compiling for the particular output. Any ideas what setting I have out of wack that is causing such a long generation time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2012 May 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

29 topics is very small and it should all generate in seconds. Are there linked Word or FrameMaker documents?

Right click in the SSL pod and select Create New and create a new WebHelp layout. Do not use the duplicate option. Make sure the output folder is within the SSL folder of the project, it should be created that way by default. Do not change any other settings. Click Save and Generate and see how long the process takes.

Let us know how that goes.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture5.gif

I followed your instructions and got similar results. While I only have 29 topics, the majority of them are linked to references, handbooks, policy letters, Air Force Instructions, etc...Some of these are very extensive in length, upwards of 500 pages. My guess is that everytime I generate and it does this full text search thing, it is actually going through every document for whatever reason. This is my best educated guess. What do you think? If I'm correct, is there a better way to build my project to get around this timely hang-up? I really appreciate your help thus far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny because I had a feeling I saw something about linked documents but I couldn't see it in this thread.

When you refer to linked documents, do you mean as in File > Link > Word document? If so, then yes that is what is happening, the search is including all the linked documents. I'm not sure if it would eventually handle that lot or just blow out. Maybe set it running on Friday afternoon?

If you are just referring to hyperlinked documents, then RoboHelp would not be searching them.

Can you install RoboHelp in trial version mode on another machine and copy the project there? Not expecting a difference but we need to rule it out.

Try deselecting all the Search options except highlighting when you generate.

Beyond that I am thinking you may need to pursue this with Adobe or consider merged help. Post back before you go there though.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible to exclude the documents from the search results. Edit the SALIdxSvc12.xml file in your RoboHelp installation folder and remove the file extensions you don't want in your search results:

<SAL Version="1.10">

<IndexService>

<SupportedTypes>

<Type Ext=".pdf"/>

<Type Ext=".doc"/>

<Type Ext=".docx"/>

<Type Ext=".xls"/>

<Type Ext=".xlsx"/>

<Type Ext=".ppt"/>

<Type Ext=".pptx"/>

</SupportedTypes>

</IndexService>

</SAL>

And my suggestion of removing the network cable when you're generating was suggested to me by someone from Adobe at a meeting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was referring to links to files that are not baggage files and I didn't include that possibility.

If the hyperlinks are to documents that are in baggage files, then editing the file in m_d_uk2's reply is the way to go.

Unless I have misunderstood the point about removing the network cable, that would only affect anyone whose profile is on a network. Check that with your IT guys.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the address of my Output folder and Start Page. Taken from the Webhelp Settings.

C:\Robohelp9Data\ART 101 Virtual Reference\!SSL!\WebHelp\index.htm

This is correct isn't it?

Also when I take a look at Batch Generate the "status" of all my layouts says Out of Date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think its the length of your pages that is the issue, but unplugging my PC from the network makes my RoboHelp builds generate about 10 times faster (although my documents and settings and appdata folders are located over a network and i think RoboHelp does some writing to/accessing that folder whilst its generating).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp