11 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2012 6:37 AM by BobDiN RSS

Batch Video Transition, Timing and Effects

BobDiN Community Member

Is there a way to batch transitions, timing and effects on multiple video clips or still images?

It seems as if you should be able to select several clips then, when highlighted, changing a transition, effect or timing should apply to all other selected clips.

This seems like an essential aspect of video editing... especially slideshows.

Am I missing something?

• 1. Re: Batch Video Transition, Timing and Effects
          Pete.Green Employee Hosts

As it is right now, there aren't batch operations in the timeline panel

• 2. Re: Batch Video Transition, Timing and Effects
            Pattie F Employee Hosts

For the still images, you could use actions and file automate to batch process them if you want them all to have the same effects placed on them.

Pattie

• 3. Re: Batch Video Transition, Timing and Effects
              BobDiN Community Member

Hi Pattie

I am pretty well versed in writing actions, however there seems to be some change/problem in Photoshop CS6 beta.

To set the Motion, I can simply record an Action with the desired Motion, then "select forward layer" command, then repeat the Motion change, then "select forward layer" command, etc. etc. etc.

To set a "cross-fade" Transition is a little more tricky because you have to select the two adjacent layers to set the "Cross Fade". Again, this can be done in an action with the command "select forward layer" with "Modification: Add" being set.

(See the exported text of the action inserted below). 

However, here is where I run into problems. This work well in CS5 but there seems to be some problems/changes with Photoshop CS 6beta...

- my standard  "select Forward layer" comannd acts the same as the "select Font layer" command (selects the frontmost layer)

- my standard  "select Backward layer" comannd acts the same as the "select Back layer" command  (selects the backmost layer)

Please verify... if this is not working properly in the final version this will cause major issues to existing Actions

Photoshop CS6 beta Actions also do not seem to be able to call another Action, which I seem to remember being able in the earlier versions of Photoshop

Your thoughts?

Bob

(Action exported as text)

Action: Layer Navigation New

Select front layer

Without Make Visible

Select back layer

Without Make Visible

Select forward layer

Without Make Visible

Select forward layer

Modification: Add

Without Make Visible

• 4. Re: Batch Video Transition, Timing and Effects
                BobDiN Community Member

Pete,

A couple of audio questions:

1. Can you cross fade music of added tracks or does this need to be done in an audio software before import?
                2. Can you fade In?  Out?  Lower the volume?  of the audio track of the original video clip?

Thanks,

Bob

• 5. Re: Batch Video Transition, Timing and Effects
                  Pattie F Employee Hosts

Hi Bob, I'll check into the layer selection and action stuff above and let you know what I find.

Actions are supposed to be able to call other actions also in CS6.

Pattie

• 6. Re: Batch Video Transition, Timing and Effects

Hey Bob,

1. It doesn't look like transitions such as cross-fade can be added to an audio track. They can be added to video tracks, so if your audio is attached to a video it can be cross-faded that way. You can adjust the fade in or fade out, or volume of the audio track by right clicking on it in the timeline panel to get the audio dialog.

2. Yes, you can fade in and out, and adjust volume of a video track's audio by right clicking on it in the timeline, and clicking on the audio button along the top to get the audio options.

timelineshots.jpg

Instead of rightclicking in both of these instances, you can click the little arrow at the end of each clip to get these same menus.

• 7. Re: Batch Video Transition, Timing and Effects
                      BobDiN Community Member

Pete,

1. It doesn't look like transitions such as cross-fade can be added to an audio track. They can be added to video tracks, so if your audio is attached to a video it can be cross-faded that way. You can adjust the fade in or fade out, or volume of the audio track by right clicking on it in the timeline panel to get the audio dialog.

There is a pull down menu on the "Audio Track" to allow you to add another "Audio Track"!

Simply overlap these tracks, then add a "Fade Out" on one and "Fade In" on the other... you have a cross audio dissolve!

PS6vAudio.jpg

• 8. Re: Batch Video Transition, Timing and Effects
                        BobDiN Community Member

Pattie,

If it would help, I can send you my .ATN file of transitions.

Bob

• 9. Re: Batch Video Transition, Timing and Effects

Yep!

That would be a just fine workaround.

I had hoped to give you the tools to be able to discover a viable set of steps for what you need.

Good on ya.

Cheers.

Pete

• 10. Re: Batch Video Transition, Timing and Effects
                            Pattie F Employee Hosts

Bob,

I tried your actions and they appear to work the same in both versions. I made a simple file with 8 layers (bottom one background or layer 0)  I ran the actions step by step.  The gotcha is when you run this particular action, you are at the bottom asking to select one more below where there is nothing, so it selects the top one.

Pattie

1.      Select “Top” Layer                               (layer 7 in my  case)                             

2.     Select “Bottom” Layer                          (layer 0)                          

3.     Select the next layer Above current      (layer 1)          

4.      Select the next layer Below current      (layer 0)         

5.      Adds the layer Above to the current layer    (layer 0 is selected. it adds 1 to selection)     

6.      Adds the layer Below to the current layer    (since layer 0 is the bottom, it will wrap and select the top layer)

If you skip step 4 then it will select layers 1,2, and zero as you might expect.

• 11. Re: Batch Video Transition, Timing and Effects
                              BobDiN Community Member

Pattie,

Your response made me retry the action "select forward layer" command again... Interesting findings:

a) they WORKED when the layers were not in a "Video Group"  BUT

b) DID NOT WORK when they were in a "Video Group"

It is essential that this layer navigation work in "Video Groups"

I will send you the Action I used by email to see of you can replicate this issue on your side

PS6VideoGroup1.jpg