6 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2012 5:59 PM by pik80 RSS

How do I print out individual spreads rather than individual pages? CS4

pik80 Community Member

I am making a booklet and I want to print out the first spread on a different kind of paper then the rest of the spreads. I am hoping that InDesign lets you print a spread rather than just particular pages. Do you know where I would go to do that?

• 1. Re: How do I print out individual spreads rather than individual pages? CS4
          [Jongware] MVP

There is a checkbox that is called "Spreads". Does that do what you want to?

• 2. Re: How do I print out individual spreads rather than individual pages? CS4
            Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

[Jongware] wrote:

There is a checkbox that is called "Spreads". Does that do what you want to?

Probably not, since the OP mentioned printing a booklet...

Perhaps pik80 would be kind enough to provide full information about the file (number of pages and how it is set up), and OS so we can evaluate the options, and the equipment on which he intends to print. My first reaction would be to use Print Booklet, and depending on the equipment either tell the driver to use a different tray for the first sheet, or print to PDF and manually sepataet the pringting of the first sheet from the rest of the booklet in Acrobat.

• 3. Re: How do I print out individual spreads rather than individual pages? CS4
              pik80 Community Member

Yes, I am printing a booklet so it doesn’t look like I have access to the spreads checkbox. I am not sure why the fact that I am printing a booklet would mean that I don’t have access to that feature though.

My book is 53 pages long and is now all contained within one InDesign file. It used to be separate InDesign files put together in an InDesign book file but it had to get switched over to all the chapters in one file.

I saw that option under paper feed that lets you print the first page from a different kind of paper. Although when I used it something strange happened. It only printed the first page on the special kind of paper not the entire spread. Now when it printed out all the pages over that they got out of order since the other three pages on that first spread were pushed over to the next spread. Is there somewhere that gives you the option to print the first spread from a different tray rather then just printing a different page from a different tray?

• 4. Re: How do I print out individual spreads rather than individual pages? CS4
                its_betty Community Member

I don't know how to automate this, but I would do this:

Put 1 sheet of cover paper on the top of the regular paper in the tray, and print the booklet normally. It might take some work to keep adding the cover paper as needed if you are printing a lot of these booklets.

Or make 2 files for printing: Cover, inside cover, inside back cover and back cover pages in one--print as a booklet on the cover stock. Interior pages in the other file, print on regular paper. Assemble by hand.

Edited to add: I just noticed that the booklet is 53 pages long. Logically, it should be a number that is divisible by 4, because each sheet of paper will have 4 pages printed on it. If you will have a back cover that should print on the same side of the same sheet of paper as the front cover, it should fall on page 56 (or 52 if you can make the text fit on one less page).

• 5. Re: How do I print out individual spreads rather than individual pages? CS4
                  Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

I would say that bety is essentially correct. You are asking Print Booklet, which is a very baskic imposer, to do things that it just wasn't intended to do. I'd use it to create a PDF, then print the covers and the guts separately from Acrobat and assemble.

• 6. Re: How do I print out individual spreads rather than individual pages? CS4
                    pik80 Community Member

I seperated the first page into a different InDesign doc and now everything works great. I am not sure if there is a benefit to seperating the pages in Acrobat as opposed to InDesign so I just decided to do it in InDesign since that is the program that I know how to use better.

Thanks