Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot start Coldfusion 9 Application Server Service

May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that this is for a Dev server.  Not vital, but super annoying.  I found my machine had been restarted due to Lumension.  This is normal.  However, since I imported a .car file from the old CF8 server directly to this CF9 Dev server I had not rebooted or restared the CF9 service.

I found these error messages in the Event viewer:

The ColdFusion 9 Application Server service could not be started.  Check the server "coldfusion" log files for more information.

and

The ColdFusion 9 Application Server service terminated with service-specific error The system cannot find the file specified..

I checked the JRUN logs and cannot find any logs pertaining to anything matching today's timestamp nor anything out of place that appears to be the cause.  Nothing in CF logs either, mostly because CF never got up to running status so no logs could be generated.

I thought I found the culprit in this post, http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/thread.cfm/threadid:61223 ... but the fix had no effect.  I didn't find anything in my search using grep outside of the JRUN temp folder which a single .xml file had an invalid Coldfusion8 path.  Fixing the path or deleting the offending temp files didn't cure the problem.

I've also tried moving all the root files that was moved into the /ColdFusion9/wwwwroot/ directory out and trying to start the service, but same error and failure occurs.

I have not tried reinstalling.  I did install the CF9.0.1 update and it was working just dandy until this restart.  There are no other computer problems experienced that I can tell and not other errors were found in the event viewer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
May 03, 2012 May 03, 2012

Thanks!  I now have an error that I can chase and hopefully diagnose.

"Error: no known VMs.  (check for corrupt jvm.cfg file)" was the exposed error.

With a little big of the Goog I ended up with a solution from another CF user experiencing the same joys: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/795168

Found the problem to be as I suspected some incorrect path.  It was the java.home variable that was incorrect.  java.home=<IncorrectDrive>:/ColdFusion9/runtime/jre  I changed that to java.home=C:/ColdFusion9/r

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suggest try start CF from CMD prompt. Run CMD, CD \ColdFusion9\bin, type cfstart.bat .

While that may not fix the startup issue, I expect you should see some detail as to why it is not starting.

HTH, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 03, 2012 May 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!  I now have an error that I can chase and hopefully diagnose.

"Error: no known VMs.  (check for corrupt jvm.cfg file)" was the exposed error.

With a little big of the Goog I ended up with a solution from another CF user experiencing the same joys: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/795168

Found the problem to be as I suspected some incorrect path.  It was the java.home variable that was incorrect.  java.home=<IncorrectDrive>:/ColdFusion9/runtime/jre  I changed that to java.home=C:/ColdFusion9/runtime/jre and it fired up just fine.  Solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation