10 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2012 2:19 AM by Joerg.Lang RSS

Export and File Size Limit Problem

Joerg.Lang Community Member

Hi there,

im currently using LR 4.0 and found a problem with file export, I dont understand.

I have two tiff files:

Tiff 1: 283MB, full resolution ( 2336 x 3504 )

Tiff 2: 233MB, full resolution ( 2336 x 3504 )

Export witht: 574 x 1000 image width

JPG 1: 168kb

JPG 2: 194kb

Both jpegs have 600px x 887px (fram with mogrify plugin#) and 100%jpg quality.

Whe I set a limit to file size of 154kb, I receive following:

JPG 1: 102kb

JPG 2: with error ( couldn't create jpg which fit's the file size limit of 154kb )

But why?

If I export the second tiff manually with 90% jpg quality and no filesize, I get:

JPG 1: 114kb

JPG 2: 135kb

So it seems that the "limit file size" isn't really working.

Anyone have seen this?

Also it seems that Valus between 92 and 100 ends in: same as 100.

Why?

Jörg

• 1. Re: Export and File Size Limit Problem
          dj_paige Community Member

Why? Since the programmer at Adobe probably isn't going to pop in here and explain, we will probably never know.

Quality levels between 92 and 100 probably are the same. There really aren't 101 different quality levels, there are probably only 13 distinct quality levels.

• 2. Re: Export and File Size Limit Problem
            Quality levels between 92 and 100 probably are the same. There really aren't 101 different quality levels, there are probably only 13 distinct quality levels.

then no one need the option for setting the leven in so granulate values.

how ever, the current algorythem seems not to work anyway, as I can proof that if the value auf quality is set to 90, 91 or 92, the jpg-size will be below 154kb, so it's possible to do it.

• 3. Re: Export and File Size Limit Problem
              areohbee Community Member

I had major problems using file-size limiter when I tried it (a good while ago, probably Lr3)

Inexplicable results, and worse - inexplicable errors.

Perhaps some people have had better experiences with it?

Rob

• 4. Re: Export and File Size Limit Problem

If the current behavior  is "working as expected" then it's completly useless.

I will create a bug for this.

• 5. Re: Export and File Size Limit Problem
                  -Agfaclack- Community Member

that´s old news.

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

Conclusions

First of all, you can't directly compare Lightroom's JPEG quality settings with any other application. The settings may well map directly to Photoshop's save-as-JPEG 0〜12scale, and they may well partially map to Photoshop's “Save for the Web” settings, but all bets are off when it comes to the JPEG quality setting on non-Adobe applications. They're just totally unrelated to how Adobe does it. (I should make it clear that the difference is neither good nor bad; I've presented nothing here about how any other application creates JPEGs, so there are no conclusions to draw about which might be better or worse than Lightroom; the important point is to recognize that the scales, even if sharing the same “0〜100”labels, are absolutely completely unrelated.)

The Lightroom default JPEG export quality of 75, falling in the 70〜76range, seems to provide for as good a visible result as the highest quality setting for all the samples except for the bridge, which seems to suffer at least slight posterization banding at all levels, including even“lossless TIFF”. The file size, even at this relatively high 70〜76setting, is still about one third that of the 93〜100setting, so is well worth it in most situations. Those who blindly use the maximum setting for their exports likely waste a lot of local disk space, upload bandwidth, and remote storage space. But conversely, those who blindly use some lesser setting risk posterization in the occasional photo with an unlucky sky gradient.

• 6. Re: Export and File Size Limit Problem

I have read this... so it clear why 93-100 are compltelty identical.

However, des "limit to size" isn't working

• 7. Re: Export and File Size Limit Problem
                      -Agfaclack- Community Member

yep possible you encountered a bug with the 100% setting.

• 8. Re: Export and File Size Limit Problem

if the feature "size limit" is aktivated, the quality slider is getting disabled.

I have created a request at supput to check this out.

workarround could be to stay for 92 on export an hopeing that alle images will be exported to the size I need.

• 9. Re: Export and File Size Limit Problem
                          Swizzy Community Member

Agreed that the file size limitation in both LR3 and LR4 simply does not work, giving significantly lower file sizes than what is input within the export dialogue box. Use the save for web command within PS if you need to limit file size.

• 10. Re: Export and File Size Limit Problem

Hey Stephen,

sorry but

stephen zimic,

wrote:

Use the save for web command within PS if you need to limit file size.

is absolutley no option.

I'm using often virtual copys and generating everytime a tiff/psd (and deleting it), just for exporting to the needed file size is absolutely no option.

Especially when a number of images has to be exported.