• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Not a valid widget" error when trying to insert widget

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2011 Apr 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create a widget for displaying a textbox with a scrollbar. I'm using Captivate 5 and Flash CS5 for Mac. I created the widget .swf file and it works great when I open it in FlashPlayer. However, I get the error "Not a valid widget" when using Insert > Widget.

So then in Captivate I tried File > New Project > Widget in Flash. Then I chose Static widget (and AS 3.0 was the only option under Actionscript). I hit "OK" and then Flash opened. If I immediately save the file and publish the .swf and try to Insert > Widget from within Captivate, I get "Not a valid widget" again.

Maybe I have the publish settings in Flash set incorrectly? It's hard to believe since I started the widget from within Captivate!

Hope someone has an idea.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Apr 19, 2011 Apr 19, 2011

Hi,

Can you create a widget through the captiate, New Project >> Widget in Flash, workflow and share that fla file, so that we can check the issue?

You can e-mail to my address vikranth@adobe.com

Thanks,

Vikranth.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a post for creating a widget.  Not sure is this will answer your question but may help.

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2009/06/captivate_widgets_tutorial_cre.html

Another resource as well.

http://www.infosemantics.com.au/widgetking/

Message was edited by: BaseballBirch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Cannot help you with the widget itself. But did you check the TextArea widget that comes with Captivate?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have actually tried that and it doesn't resize gracefully. The text just stretches out.

Wish I could just insert my own widget. There doesn't seem to be any reason it isn't valid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That error message could happen too when there is an exception thrown from one of the function. Sometimes, you don't get these exceptions from Flash because the functions are called via ExternalInterface. However, when Captivate call these functions, an exception is thrown and Captivate stops seeing the widget as being valid. I suggest that you comment your code in the functions that are called by Captivate then load the widget it. Them uncomment, one function at a time, to see which one is problematic.

By the way, if you are creating widgets, you should take a look at CpGears (http://code.google.com/p/cpgears/), there's also a good tutorial on how to create your first widget (http://code.google.com/p/cpgears/wiki/CreateStaticWidget)

Whyves

www.flash-factor.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2011 Apr 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying to help, Whyves.

The "Not a valid widget" error happens even with a blank widget. What I described in my first post was going through Captivate to build the widget. Flash opens up and then I publish essentially a blank widget, so there's no code to throw an exception. Captivate can't even open my "blank" widget, let alone the scroll box widget I created.

I'm at a loss right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 18, 2011 Apr 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried the same workflow as you mentioned and created a blank static widget. (I guess even you are creating a static widget)

I was able to insert that widget into captivate.

Did you place the widget into the flash player trusted location? In other words, just place the new widget in the widgets gallery folder (In Captivate Installed location) and try inserting it.

Thanks,

Vikranth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Vikranth for the help.

I thought for sure this was the reason it wasn't working. However, I put my widget in /Applications/Adobe Captivate 5/Captivate Gallery/Widgets/ and I still get the error message when inserting it. Just to make sure, I created another empty widget and got the same result. I can insert the other widgets in that folder that came with Captivate, and it works fine.

Still confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Try the blank widget that I have attached with this post and let me know whether it works for you.

https://acrobat.com/#d=A7U3*YAPByTZ4vrYdLnWDw

Regards,

Vikranth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Vikranth.

Yes, your widget imported into Captivate!

So it seems like I might have a Flash problem. I'm using the default settings to publish my widget. Hmmm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you create a widget through the captiate, New Project >> Widget in Flash, workflow and share that fla file, so that we can check the issue?

You can e-mail to my address vikranth@adobe.com

Thanks,

Vikranth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for solving my problem, Vikranth. I'm going to post what you emailed me. Now I'm getting some work done!

Thanks again.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi Jumpyg2,

When a widget is created then it should have the widget template,
but I am not seeing that in the widget that you have shared.

Follow the below workflow:-

1. Select "Widget in Flash" option from Captivate File >> New Project.
2. When the Fla file gets opened up in flash, click F9 (Window > Actions) in first
frame. (I am not seeing any actionscript code in the widget that you
have shared, but it should have widget template)
3. Copy the actionscript code from the captivate Installed
location\Gallery\Widgets\AS3\static.as and paste it in first frame
of the above fla widget.
4. Go to File menu >> Actionscriptsettings >> Flash menu and set the
source path to  Applications\Adobe Captivate
5\ActionScript\export\as3 [Assuming that you have installed
captivate in Applications folder]

Now the widget should work fine. I have shared your widget with the
above modified settings and it is working fine now.

Regards,
Vikranth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2012 May 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am using a 64 Bit Win 7 laptop with 32 bit Captivate 5.5 installed. I am unable to run any widgets at all! I keep getting the "Not a valid widget" message.

Neither the pre-installed Adobe widgets or any others purchased elsewhere work. I have checked with our network admin to see if it is a network policy issue but we have tested this and it isnt.

Is this a known issue? Is there a 64 bit version of Captivate 5.5 or is there another fix I can apply?

thanks

Clive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Flash Player are you on?  Did you upgrade recently?  Were you EVER able to use widgets and only NOW encounter this issue, or has this been the case since you installed Cp 5.5?

64 bit version OS such as Win7 should still run Captivate 5.5 as a 32 bit app.  Widgets should not be affected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod

Thanks for the speedy response. We are running version 11 of flash player but I’ve just found out its disabled by group policy. Would this be the cause?

We recently upgraded our OS to Win 7 from XP. Captivate widgets worked in XP but not now. Also recently upgraded from Captivate 5 to 5.5 as far as I can remember

Thanks

Clive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate also uses the Flash Player for certain internal functions, including widgets.

If Flash Player is disabled by security, I would definitely be looking at THAT as a high likelihood for causing your issue. You said that your were "running version 11 of FP).  I'm assuming then that this means it IS installed, but for some reason users are prevented from accessing Flash content due to the security?

Is there some IT person with Admin privileges that you can get to test something for you? Ask them to log into your machine, open up Captivate 5.5, and try inserting a widget into a new blank project.  If they do NOT encounter this issue (assuming their admin privileges gives them full access to use Flash Player), then you know what the issue is.

Since Captivate published content usually SWF and therefore reliant on the presence of Flash Player to function at all, I think you have a strong case to have FP enabled in your OS group policy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2012 May 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help Rob I will get the ICT applications team to look into it.

Thanks

Clive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Clive,

Did you ever work this out? I just upgraded to win 7 64 bit and now my current widgets are behaving oddly and it won't let me insert new widgets, including ones already in the project! "not a valid widget" error.

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solved it - run Captivate as administrator fixes the problem.

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources