Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RE: Dreamweaver not responding

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ~

I have been building a site with DW 5.5 and yesterday after a save DW will not open the site again...it starts loading the HTML code...nothing apears in the design view (I work with split screen)...and then it says not responding at the top. (I have waited over an hour and it doesn't start working again.)

I tried opening other sites and have no issue.  So this is specific to this one site.  I can open up my index.html file in browsers and every thing seems ok. I have tried the following:

• checked for updates - am up to date
  • no extensions
  • restored the preferences
  • deleted the .dws site cache files
  • deleted the FileCache.dat file and the whole configuration folder

I also tried opening a new file and coping my code into the new file.  The HTML runs fine but different valid CSS3 seems to cause problems.  For example it won't let me enter via hand or through the option menu the following....

ul, ol, dl {

list-style-image: none;

list-style-type: none;

}

I've searched the forums and am at loss of what to try...any suggestions would be appreciated.

~thanks,

Beata

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Very similar problem.  I've been using DW for years and this problem just started happening today.  Just today, opening up files that were created in DW made DW freeze with the dreaded "not responding" message in the title bar.

I'm using DW CS3 on a Vista 64 system.

I work in split screen -  Code and Design.

Fairly "busy" pages with Google ads and other external banners in the sidebars, as well as other external javascript and CSS files.

(Note the problem is not there when using only code view - DW

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being able to open all other files, my guess is that it has to do with the markup in the document and/or external files linked to the document.

Open the file in Notepad (if it isn't to large) copy the markup and paste into a post so that we can have a look.

Gramps

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the speedy reply - here's my CSS file:

@charset "utf-8";

body {

margin: 0;

padding: 0;

background-color: #2e2e2e;

background-image: url(../_images/black_wood_floor.jpg);

background-repeat: repeat-x;

font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

font-size: 1em;

}

#logo {

z-index: 20;

float: left;

margin-top: -1.8em;

margin-left: 2%;

position: absolute;

display: block;

transform: rotate(345deg);

-webkit-transform: rotate(345deg);

-moz-transform: rotate(345deg);

}

/* ~~ this container surrounds all other divs giving them their percentage-based width ~~ */

.container {

width: 75%;

max-width: 1024px;/* a max-width may be desirable to keep this layout from getting too wide on a large monitor. This keeps line length more readable. IE6 does not respect this declaration. */

min-width: 760px; /* the auto value on the sides, coupled with the width, centers the layout. It is not needed if you set the .container's width to 100%. */

height: auto;

margin-top: 5em;

background-color: #FFFFFF;

margin-right: auto;

margin-left: auto;

clear: both;

z-index: 1;

position: relative;

overflow: hidden;

margin-bottom: 5em;

}

.header {

background-image: url(../_images/graygrad.png);

height: 6em;

background-color: #8e8e8e;

z-index: 2;

}

#RRWG {

margin-left: 15%;

padding-top: 0.4em;

}

#top_social_buttons {

float: right;

margin-right: 3%;

margin-top: -2.6em;

display: inline;

z-index: 8;

}

.nav ul li{

font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

color: #2e2e2e;

font-size: 1.2em;

font-weight: bolder;

margin-left: 15%;

padding-left: 2em;

margin-top: 0.6em;

z-index: 3;

display: inline;

}

.nav ul li a:link{

font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

}

.nav ul li a:visited{

}

.nav ul li a:hover, a:active, a:focus{

color: #FFAB57;

text-decoration: none;

}

.content {

padding-top: 4%;

padding-left: 5%;

width: 50%;

min-width: 400px;

overflow: hidden;

text-align: justify;

text-justify:inter-word;

}

.meeting {

width: 30%;

padding-top: 4%;

font-size: 0.8em;

/* [disabled]margin-right: 3%; */

padding-bottom: 4%;

text-align: center;

margin-left: 3%;

}

.twitter_feed {

/* [disabled]padding-right: 3%; */

padding-bottom: 2%;

/* [disabled]margin-right: 3%; */

margin-left: 5%;

}

#ricrac {

background-image: url(../_images/ricrac.gif);

height: 7px;

width: 100%;

}

#footer-page {

background-color: #383838;

/* [disabled]background-image: url(../_images/footerbckgd.gif); */

padding-top: 3%;

padding-bottom: 3%;

font-size: 0.8em;

height: 9em;

}

#footer-page #left_column {

padding-left: 5%;

}

#footer-page #center_column {

}

#footer-page #right_column {

float: right;

padding-right: 5%;

}

/* ~~ This grouped selector gives the lists in the .content area space ~~ */

.content ul, .content ol {

padding: 0 15px 15px 40px; /* this padding mirrors the right padding in the headings and paragraph rule above. Padding was placed on the bottom for space between other elements on the lists and on the left to create the indention. These may be adjusted as you wish. */

}

/* ~~ The footer ~~ */

.footer {

position: relative;/* this gives IE6 hasLayout to properly clear */

clear: both; /* this clear property forces the .container to understand where the columns end and contain them */

background-color: #2e2e2e;

background-image: url(../_images/footerbckgd.gif);

height: 8em;

padding-top: 10px;

padding-right: 0;

padding-bottom: 10px;

padding-left: 0;

}

h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, p {

margin-top: 0;     /* removing the top margin gets around an issue where margins can escape from their containing div. The remaining bottom margin will hold it away from any elements that follow. */

padding-right: 15px;

padding-left: 15px; /* adding the padding to the sides of the elements within the divs, instead of the divs themselves, gets rid of any box model math. A nested div with side padding can also be used as an alternate method. */

}

/* ~~ Element/tag selectors ~~ */

ul, ol, dl { /* Due to variations between browsers, it's best practices to zero padding and margin on lists. For consistency, you can either specify the amounts you want here, or on the list items (LI, DT, DD) they contain. Remember that what you do here will cascade to the .nav list unless you write a more specific selector. */

padding: 0;

margin: 0;

list-style-image: none;

}

a img { /* this selector removes the default blue border displayed in some browsers around an image when it is surrounded by a link */

border: none;

}

/* ~~ Styling for your site's links must remain in this order - including the group of selectors that create the hover effect. ~~ */

a:link {

text-decoration: none; /* unless you style your links to look extremely unique, it's best to provide underlines for quick visual identification */

}

a:visited {

color: #FF9933;

}

a:hover, a:active, a:focus { /* this group of selectors will give a keyboard navigator the same hover experience as the person using a mouse. */

}

/* ~~ The navigation list styles (can be removed if you choose to use a premade flyout menu like Spry) ~~ */

ul.nav {

list-style: none; /* this creates the space between the navigation on the content below */

}

ul.nav li {

border-bottom-style: none;

}

ul.nav a, ul.nav a:visited { /* grouping these selectors makes sure that your links retain their button look even after being visited */

display: inline; /* this gives the link block properties causing it to fill the whole LI containing it. This causes the entire area to react to a mouse click. */

color: #C63;

padding-top: 5px;

padding-right: 5px;

padding-bottom: 5px;

padding-left: 15px;

}

ul.nav a:hover, ul.nav a:active, ul.nav a:focus { /* this changes the background and text color for both mouse and keyboard navigators */

color: #FFF;

}

.clearfloat { /* this class can be placed on a <br /> or empty div as the final element following the last floated div (within the #container) if the #footer is removed or taken out of the #container */

clear:both;

height:0;

font-size: 1px;

line-height: 0px;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing here that should stop DW from loading it.

Gramps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Gramps,

I didn't think it was really the code - but it would hang up when I pasted the list styling into the new docs.  Weird...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just remembered seeing something that David Powers wrote about a file being a certain size. I forget which size, but DW acts strangely.

The solution is to change the size of the file either by adding or subtracting content. Worth a try.

Gramps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the 8,192KB bug but I believe it only affected DW CS3.

http://www.mikepadgett.com/technology/technical/dreamweaver-cs3-crashes-and-wont-start-up-again/

I thought it was fixed from CS4 onwards and the OP is using CS5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Carey and John~

I checked the 8k bug just in case but none of my file where 8k or multiples of 8k.  I had a co-worker open the file on her machine (which runs DW 4) and it opened with no issue. 

Carey- It hangs up when I try to enter list styling via hand or the DW interface.  Specifically when I enter:

I am going to reinstall the program tonight and see if that resolves the issue.  I'll keep you posted.

~Beata

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BWoyen wrote:

it would hang up when I pasted the list styling into the new docs.

Which part were you pasting into a new document that caused Dreamweaver to hang?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very similar problem.  I've been using DW for years and this problem just started happening today.  Just today, opening up files that were created in DW made DW freeze with the dreaded "not responding" message in the title bar.

I'm using DW CS3 on a Vista 64 system.

I work in split screen -  Code and Design.

Fairly "busy" pages with Google ads and other external banners in the sidebars, as well as other external javascript and CSS files.

(Note the problem is not there when using only code view - DW becomes unresponsive only when a design view is open.)

Tried the delete-cache-file fix and it didn't work.  (I noticed that the deleted cache file was NOT recreated on subsequent DW startups.)

What worked for me was changing a setting found in the View menu.

"Display External Files" was checked on.

Turned if off and suddenly DW started working again

(I noticed that after I did this, that deleted cache file was recreated.)

The problem and solution are repeatable on my system.

Turn that option on and open the "problem" page - DW freezes

Restart DW, turn that option off and then open the "problem" page - DW runs.

Hope this helps

~codeDawg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks codeDawg!!!

It worked!!!  Even reinstalling didn't help - but your steps worked like a charm. 

Thanks again for passing this tip along.

~Beata

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah - that problem had me worried for a bit.

All I wanted to do was make a slight text change to a page I created last year.

Took me a several hours to come up with a "Fix" to the DW freeze issue, then 30 seconds to change the page 

I'm still not quite sure what that option actually does - I don't see a difference in the design view.

Glad it worked for ya'!

~codeDawg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2012 Apr 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, codeDawg!!!!

Just this morning I wasn't able to open page files for a site I've been working on using DW with no problem for years. I had used it last on April 18 with no problem. I've never had an issue with opening any page files with DW. Until this morning. I kept getting a "Dreamweaver not responding" message. I am using a Mac running OS X 10.6.8. I have CS4 DW.

I fixed my permissions twice in Disk Utlities. That didn't fix anything. Then I went to Adobe and found the suggestion on Adobe to delete the data cache in the personal Configurations folder so I did that. That didn't work so I deleted the personal Configurations folder. Still didn't work.

Then I found this thread and what you had done that worked. So I just looked for the "Display External Files" in the View menu, saw that it was checked, and unchecked it and now I can open my pages again and work on them. Hallelujah!

I wonder what went wrong? I've never noticed that "Display External Files" before and I hadn't checked it. But it was checked and I unchecked it. Now things work.

THANK YOU!!!

Ginny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU Codedawg. Same problem as everyone else encountered---suddenly my pages wouldn't open and DW would hang. Did that option(Display External Files) just suddenly appear and default to selected? Like Ginny, I never noticed it before either. Thanks SO much--you just saved me from reinstalling!  !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ginny and Helene,

Glad it worked for 'ya!

(Anything that saves me from re-installing software is worth trying )

Yeah - that option is a big mystery to me.

I don't remember messing around with it before DW started freezing up.

Not sure what it does and I can't see any differences in the design view.

(Other than DW freezes on certain pages )

I'm guessing that Google Ads or some other 3rd party jscript running on my pages made a recent change to some of their script output.

A change that DW, in design view, finds "objectionable".

~codeDawg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I've been trying to solve this problem for the past few days and Voila! - your solution worked.

I'm now wondering why it suddenly started happening

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome!

~codeDawg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2012 Apr 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And a big thanks from me too! 

I'm having a bad week - newly installed Lightroom 4 running slow and my printer heads clogging - so when my index.html file started playing up in Dreamweaver I was well chuffed to find your solution!  I've been using Dreamweaver from the very first version (I'm old) and never noticed this option before ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're Welcome!

I've had far too many of those kind of weeks myself!

Was thinking about upgrading soon to LR4.  I hope they get their issues straightened out by the time I get around to it.

~codeDawg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For all the DW8 folks who can't find the "Display External Files" option in the Command menu:

This thread might help.

~codeDawg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2012 Oct 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much enocunterd this today and simply just turning this off in the view menu has resolved my problem.

is there a reason why it does this ?

Thanks anyway i can now get back to dreamweaver cs5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2012 Oct 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a reason why it does this ?

It doesn't happen with all external scripts.  Just a few well-known culprits like Facebook, Twitter, AddThis, etc...  whose scripts contain some form of browser detection.  Since DW Design View isn't a browser, it gets hung up by those scripts.

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you CodeDawg.  Any ideas on why this is suddenly an issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to find out why this is occurring as well, so that we can ensure others don't run into this problem in the future.

Display External Files is an option that enables files (usually images) that exist on the web to be displayed in Design View. Design View usually only displays files that are located locally on your machine. This means you would have an absolute URL (e.g. "http://mywebsite.com/image.jpg") to the file in your page's code, instead of a relative URL (e.g. "/image.jpg") which would only look on the local machine.

Do any of the pages where you are seeing this issue have absolute URLs to a file?

If so, and you remove (or comment out) that code and turn Display External Files back on, does that fix the issue?

Since I have not been able to reproduce the issue, I am relying on you all to help me investigate this. Once I know more, we can go from there to determine the cause of the issue and get it fixed.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Carey,

In my experience, references to 3rd party scripts such as Google fonts/ads/widgets, Facebook badges, etc...  can create problems with Design View when  "Display External Files" is enabled.

Below is the an example caused by the OP's Facebook badge.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4357898#4357898

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines