• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simple Progress Bar Help!

May 04, 2012 May 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

I'm working on several eLearning projects and I'm hoping someone can help with a simple course progress bar.  I have 5 images that I'm using to show the learner's progress through the course.  I need to be able to drop this into multiple courses with varying lengths so, I was thinking I could have it update based on the percentage of the course viewed. 

The first image looks like this:

pBar_0.png

and finishes looking like this:

pBar_4.png

I've been toying around with Advanced Actions to try and make this work but, Ive reached a point where I'm stumped.  Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 04, 2012 May 04, 2012

OK, I see that you want the percentage based on the Frames, not on the slides. But you need to calculate the percentage on entering each slide. And then check if it is between two values (0-0.25; 0.25 - 0.50...). You have to be aware that the percentage will not change within a slide, only on entering a slide.

Create a user variable v_perc to store that percentage, and a user variable v_start to store the first frame of each slide. Both variables will be reused on each slide.The total number of f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say that you already have tried with Advanced Actions? How would you define the 'percentage of course viewed'? Is that based on the number of slides (would be easiest) or on the duration as is visible in the TOC (more complicated)? And please tell which version of CP you are using.

Some system variables that could be useful are: rdinfoCurrentSlide and rdinfoSlideCount (if number of slides used for percentage), rdinfoCurrentFrame, rdinfoFrameCount and rdinfoFPS if you want % duration. Have a look at my blog post:

Display Time Information

You will have to use an advanced conditional action on entering each slide to check the progress. And the possibility to show/hide objects that are set to display for the rest of the project.

Answer my questions and I'll try to help.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the swift replies. 

To answer your questions:

I'm using CP 5.5. 

My thoughts around using "percentage of course viewed" is using a show/hidw function for each image based on how far into the course the user gets so, at 25% the next image shows, then at 50% the next, until the progress bar is full at 90% (showing outro slides).

Here's a screenshot of my Advanced Actions.

AdvAct_Screen.PNG

I am going thru your blog now.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I see that you want the percentage based on the Frames, not on the slides. But you need to calculate the percentage on entering each slide. And then check if it is between two values (0-0.25; 0.25 - 0.50...). You have to be aware that the percentage will not change within a slide, only on entering a slide.

Create a user variable v_perc to store that percentage, and a user variable v_start to store the first frame of each slide. Both variables will be reused on each slide.The total number of frames in the project is fixed and = rdinfoSlideCount. It is now pretty late here (almost midnight), do not feel up to really creating the action, but you'll need several decisions:

Decision 1: mimicked standard action by using IF 1 is equal to 1, THEN Assign v_start with rdinfoCurrentFrame; Expression v_perc = v_start/rdinfoSlideCount

Decision 2: IF v_perc <= 0.25 ....

Decision 3: IF v_perc >0.25 AND >=0.50 ...

Decision 4: IF V...

Hope you get the idea?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

How are you?  I hope your weekend was a good one.  Your suggestions were great!  With a little tweaking I was able to get it to work!  Your article on Hide and Seek from your blog helped with how I needed to set up my graphics do display properly. 

I did want to mention that I had to use the following expression:

Expression v_perc = v_start/rdinfoFrameCount

Instead of:

Expression v_perc = v_start/rdinfoSlideCount

Once I plugged it in... it worked like a charm!  Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Cheers to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bad, that was a typo. I'm very tired at this moment

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries.  I appreciate your time to help me out.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

I'm also interested in creating a custom progress bar like chadluke_zones, however I'm confused about how to go about setting this up. 

Is there a tutorial somewhere that steps through this whole process? 

Thanks,

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will be posting this process soon.  I'm setting up a test project without using corporate graphics to avoid legal issues.  I'll re-post to this thread once I have it set up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wonderful! Thank you chadluke_zones, I look forward to learning how to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AndyKingInOC,

I looked at this link earlier and downloaded the CP file.  It's based on actions by the learner.  I'm looking for somerthing that updates as the learner views the course.  Thank you for your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources