5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2013 8:10 AM by DangCole RSS

Saving issues: "The file may be read-only" error message

I do a lot of scanning to pdf and will often have to add a newly scanned page to an existing archived pdf then resave it.

I have a very consistent workflow and use two screens. The folders that contain the archived files are always on my second screen while I work on the main screen.

After I have inserted the newly scanned page into the existing pdf very often I get an error message that the file cannot be saved:

The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder.

I am the only user, none of files are read-only, and I am certain that the file I am resaving is not selected (I can see that on my second screen).

Sometimes if I just click on the second screen to another folder it'll let me resave, but other times I have to close Windows Explorer completely.

I like to avoid renaming files: it's important to that the original filename be retained.

This seems to be happening a lot more with Acrobat X Pro than it did with version 9. This is highly annoying.

Any known workarounds?