Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resource Manager and Images

New Here ,
May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I upgraded to RH9 (from RHX5) and very happily started to use both the Snippet and Resource Manager functionality.

I seem to have hit a mental block despite reading the help and looking up this forum regarding updating images in the resource manager .....

I have multiple projects and the same image is used throughout the projects - sometimes only once in a project and sometimes multiple times in the same project.

Lets say this image is called Picture1.gif - due to program re-design I now need to update Picture1.gif.

Picture1.gif is stored in Resource Manager and as it is linked then a copy is also stored in my project.

I delete the old image, create a new image, rename it to the original name Picture1.gif and drag it to Shared Resources and then drag it back again so that it is linked.

Despite the back and forth steps this does in fact work - the image is updated in other projects as expected.

However, if an image appears in a project multiple times then I have to change it everywhere before I can rename it,  etc. etc.

I feel quite sure that I am missing something here and that the whole process should be simpler!!

I would have expected somehow to be able to update the image in the resource manger and then sync.

TIA

Morven

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Morven

Why not try just saving the modified image and replacing the existing one without the delete and replace hokey pokey. Resource Manager should sense the change and update accordingly.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2012 May 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

First of all thanks for the answer.

Your answer makes me suspect that I am doing things differently.

When you save the modified image and replace - are you doing this in RoboHelp or in Windows Explorer directly?

I think my current method is cumbersome because I am trying to do the replacement within RH itself.

Thanks

Morven

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2012 May 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Morven

In my own experience, it really shouldn't matter where you update the image, as the Resource Manager is a two way street. If you update in RoboHelp, it should be sensed and the updated image copied from your project to replace and update the centralized image. And likewise, if you update the centralized image, Resource Manager should update your project to match the updated centralized image.

Again, I woudn't want to first delete the image followed by saving a new one using the same name. I would either open one of them (centralized or project) and edit as needed. Or edit a copy, make edits, then save using the same file name so the existing image is replaced.

To the best of my knowledge, Resource Manager should sense the change as the date/time stamp should be different as well as possibly the size. Then the automation should kick in to update the image's counterpart and synchronize everything nicely. The only fly in this ointment would be if the new image were different in size from the pixel measurement standpoint. If the new image is wider or taller or narrower or shorter, you would need to ensure that you reset the sizes in your project so they match the new dimensions. Otherwise they will be a bit skewed and have the fun house effect. I believe RoboHelp supplies a script for this.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp