Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Version 11.2.202.235 crashes browser when viewing certain websites

New Here ,
May 05, 2012 May 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since yesterday, May 4th, all my browsers (IE9, Firefox, Chrome) crash when I view different streaming websites such as twitch.tv and own3d.tv. However, Youtube works. It crashes the moment I watch a stream and I can't right click the stream to configure settings.

I had this issue a couple months ago aswell. However it was easily fixed by going to about:plugins and disabling the built-in flash player for Chrome. That isn't the case now.

What I've tried so far:

Disabling the built-in flash player for Chrome.

Using the Adobe Flash uninstaller to uninstall the Flash Player, reboot computer, then install it again.

Using a registry cleaner (CCleaner)

Enabling Hardware acceleration.

Allowing 3rd party programs and setting the amount of data sites can store to 10MB through this: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager03.html

Updating my graphics card drivers. I have the GTX 470 graphics card and I just updated it to the 301.24 beta drivers which were released April 9th. My previous drivers were the 296.10 released March 13th. It crashes the same way using both drivers.

System specs:

64-bit Win7

Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 6GB RAM

Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 Motherboard

Gainward GeForce GTX 470 1280MB Graphics Card

i7-950 3,06GHz 8MB cache CPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 06, 2012 May 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What sort of power supply do you have in the machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2012 May 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Corsair HX 750w power supply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, your PSU produces enough power on the 12V+ rail, so that eliminates it from the equation.

But I would advise against using registry cleaners since they can do more harm than good.  While they were a means of cleaning up loose ends back in Windows 98 days, they're no longer relevant in modern operating systems.

Can you try starting Firefox in Safe Mode by doing the following.

1. If you're using the layout with the oblong orange firefox button top left, hit ALT to toggle the text links on and then click Help | Restart with Add-ons disabled.
  2. In the next menu which appears, click the button at the bottom called "Continue in Safe Mode" without checkmarking any of the boxes.
  3. When Firefox restarts, all your add-ons will be disabled. Go to twitch.tv or the other one and see whether it makes any difference.

If it works properly, then one of your add-ons is the culprit. In that particular case, you need to repeat the procedure for starting in Safe Mode and then checkmark the top box which is "Disable All Add-ons". Then click the button called "Make changes and restart". After that, it's simply a case of re-enabling them one by one until the problem recurs. Then you'll know which one it causing the problem. To access the Add-ons manager in Firefox, press CTRL+SHIFT+A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did as you said and as expected, it didn't crash until I activated the Shockwave Flash add-on. It also crashes if I have turned off all add-ons except the Flash Player aswell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rareapple01 wrote:

I did as you said and as expected, it didn't crash until I activated the Shockwave Flash add-on. It also crashes if I have turned off all add-ons except the Flash Player aswell.

Sorry, I don't quite understand. When you restart Firefox in Safe Mode, it disables all your add-ons, but leaves your plugins running. Since the Flash player is a plugin, it will also be left running.

It wasn't the intention to disable Shockwave Flash prior to restarting in Safe Mode if that's what you did.

Could also do the following please, but in normal mode.

1. Hit the ALT key to turn on the text links again and then click "Help" | Troubleshooting Information.
  2. Click the button, top left called "Copy all to clipboard".
  3. Come back here, right click and choose "Paste" from the menu to copy the contents into your next post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, my bad. I misunderstood your post. Anyway, it still crashes when I run it in safe mode.

It is in Norwegian, unfortunately, but I hope you'll understand what it says:

Programinfo

Navn Firefox
Versjon 12.0
Brukeragent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:12.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/12.0
Profilmappe
Påslåtte programtillegg about:plugins
Bygginnstillinger about:buildconfig
Krasjrapporter about:crashes
Minneforbruk about:memory

Utvidelser

Adblock Plus2.0.3false{d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d}
Battlefield Heroes Updater5.0.31.0falsebattlefieldheroespatcher@ea.com
Modify Headers0.7.1.1false{b749fc7c-e949-447f-926c-3f4eed6accfe}

Viktige endrede innstillinger

accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar0
browser.cache.disk.capacity1048576
browser.cache.disk.smart_size.first_runfalse
browser.cache.disk.smart_size_cached_value1048576
browser.display.background_color#C0C0C0
browser.display.use_system_colorstrue
browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion2
browser.startup.homepagehttp://www.startsiden.no/
browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID20120420145725
browser.startup.homepage_override.mstonerv:12.0
extensions.lastAppVersion12.0
network.cookie.prefsMigratedtrue
places.database.lastMaintenance1334024462
places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages104858
places.history.expiration.transient_optimal_database_size167772160
places.last_vacuum1301700599
privacy.cpd.siteSettingstrue
privacy.sanitize.migrateFx3Prefstrue
privacy.sanitize.timeSpan0
security.warn_viewing_mixedfalse

Grafikk

Adapter-beskrivelseNVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
Leverandør-ID0x10de
Enhet-ID0x06cd
RAM1279
Adapter-driverenvd3dumx,nvwgf2umx,nvwgf2umx nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driverversjon8.17.13.124
Driverdato4-3-2012
Bruk Direct2Dtrue
Bruk DirectWritetrue (6.1.7601.17776)
ClearType-parametereClearType-parametere ikke funnet
WebGL-rendererGoogle Inc. -- ANGLE (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470) -- OpenGL ES 2.0 (ANGLE 1.0.0.963)
GPU-akselererte vinduer1/1 Direct3D 10
AzureBackenddirect2d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you type "about:flash" in Chrome's address bar and paste the page contents in a reply?  If you have crash reporting turned on, we should be able to get crash ID's which we can then investigate further.

Fwiw, I've got the same GPU and didn't have any problems with twitch this weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Om Flash

Google Chrome18.0.1025.168 (m)
OSWindows 7 SP1 64 bit
Flash plugin11,2,202,235 C:\Users\Claudio\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\18.0.1025.168\gcswf32.dll
--- Crash data ---
--- GPU information ---
Graphics cardNVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
Driver display namenvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver name (strong)oem14.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1:Section015:8.17.13.124:pci\ven_10de&dev_06cd
Graphics cardNVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
Driver display namenvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver name (strong)oem14.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1:Section015:8.17.13.124:pci\ven_10de&dev_06cd
--- GPU driver, more information ---
Vendor Id0x10de
Device Id0x06cd
Driver vendorNVIDIA
Driver version8.17.13.124
Driver date4-3-2012
Pixel shader version3.0
Vertex shader version3.0
GL version
GL_VENDOR
GL_RENDERER
GL_VERSION
GL_EXTENSIONS

I first went there and checked if it said anything about crashes, it didn't, so I went to Twitch.tv to make it crash, but it still doesn't say anything about crash ID's, though. Only Vendor and Device Id's. However, afaik, I do have crash reporting turned on. I went to Settings-Advanced and made sure that the checkbox that says "Send userstatistics and crash reports to Google" was checked. (Directly translated from Norwegian to English so might not be 100% accurate).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that should do it.  Odd, when I've gotten Chrome to crash with Twitch (by resizing the popout video window back and forth) I've seen crash ID's.  Can you post a screenshot of the crash?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not having much luck are we?

Could you do the following please.

1. In the Firefox location bar where you normally type a web address, type (or copy/paste) the following: about:config and hit Enter.
  2. If you see a warning message, click "OK, I promise I'll be careful" so that you can continue.
  3. In the filter at the top, copy paste the following: general.useragent If nothing appears, it's because there's a space at the end. Use the BackSpace key to remove it.
  4. Are any of the entries in bold type? If so, right click those that are and choose "Copy Name" and "Copy Value". You have to do that separately unfortunately, so open Notepad and copy them there first.
  5. Close the "about:config" tab and then come back here and post the data here please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to record the crash (felt like that would show how it happened better than just a screenshot) and suddenly it doesn't crash. Usually it would crash the moment I load a stream. I can't click anything and the browser doesn't respond. But now I can view a stream with no problems. I didn't do anything to fix it since last time it crashed, so I suppose Twitch.tv found a fix for it and updated their site somehow? Cause I have no idea why it suddenly works.

I'm very grateful for the time and effort you guys put in to help me, though. And I will come back if it stops working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be worth creating a manual System Restore point so that you can wind the clock back to today if the problem reappears. Instructions here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-restore-point-for-windows-vistas-system-restor...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Seems like a good idea. I'll do that, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines