• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp looses all footnotes and endnotes during Word-import

May 04, 2012 May 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

the RoboHelp onlinehelp states that RoboHelp can convert footnotes and endnotes in Word documents to hyperlinks. It seems though that this is not the case.

When importing/linking a Word document (and of course with activated 'convert hyperlinks' option in the import settings), RoboHelp looses all of these references. Footnotes do not apear at all. When I convert them to endnotes in Word, then they appear after import but are not linked.

Am I missing an option? I do not think that the Help would so plainly tell the untruth..

Robert

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2012 May 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you point me to where the help states that please? I searched on Endnotes and only found anything under "Convert context-sensitive Help markers in Word to map IDs".

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 05, 2012 May 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

the help (as PDF) says the following:

-cut-

Convert Word references to hyperlinks

RoboHelp can convert the references such as foot notes, end notes,

captions, bookmarks, and cross-references in the Word documents. These

references appear as hyperlinks in the generated Help topics.

1. Do one of the following:

Select File > Import > Word Document.

Select File > Link > Word Document.

Select File > Project Settings.

2. In the Import tab, click Edit under Word Document.

3. In the Conversion Settings group, select Other Settings, and then

select Convert References To Hyperlinks.

-cut-

But it does not seem to work for endnotes and footnotes as described.

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2012 May 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I had searched on "endnotes" as that is the term used by Word. RoboHelp's OLH uses "foot notes". I'll report that.

Now we are back to the old request in the Sticky Topic "Before you post". Please advise the version of RoboHelp that you are using and, in this case, the version of Word.

I know there is a similar problem with headers when using Word 2010 and RoboHelp 9. This could be a bug.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 06, 2012 May 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an example, RH9 (newest updates) and Word 2003 SP3 show this problem.

I tried different combinations of Word and RH and had the impresseion

that this is not specific to a certain version.

Actually I think that endnotes and footnotes are slightly different

features.

If I use footnotes in Word (i.e., the text of the notes appears at the

bottom of each page), then the notes dissappear completely during

import. If I use endnotes (all notes at the end of the document) then

the text of the notes is imported into the last topic, but it is not linked.

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am aware endnotes and footnotes are different features and I was not saying that any bug there was version specific. What I was saying was that there is a bug with headers and footers (not footnotes) that is version specific so it would not surprise me that there is a similar bug with footnotes and endnotes. When I tested some weeks ago for the header and footer bug, I was not looking for footnote and endnote problems.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings!

Would this also pertain to the ability to define Map IDs (as Footnotes) so that when linking or importing a Word Document the Map IDs will import as well?

http://tinyurl.com/rhcsh2012

http://tinyurl.com/rhcsh2012b

We have a Word document edited by multiple developers that we wish to import into RoboHelp and maintain context sensitive help within our software. I'm trying to avoid the issues of either manually maintaining map IDs (tedious), or having to deal with auto defining these IDs and then having changes in the document not properly reflect the Map ID variables defined in the source code of the application.

The information presented in those two links seem to suggest Footnotes would be a way to manage these IDs in the word document. However, it doesn't seem to be working or I"m not doing it properly. The documentation is slim at best on how to actually setup the Word document. I've basically just tagged sections of my document (for testing purposes) with Footnotes and then the footnotes are something like:

[1] TopicAlias 102

Note: The [1] is actually superscript as an actual footnote in the word document.

After linking to this document, however, nothing appears in the map screen. I also am unable to even edit the mappings.

Appreciate any thoughts!

-Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but that is not something I have ever tried to use.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I'll post a new topic and see if it gets any attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp