Exit

Problem with Text entry

Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2012 Apr 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

need some inputs on TEB with the following actions

1. show = text caption_230........ shown once you have not entered anything on TEB

2. expression= rdcmdgotofram=rdinfocurrentframe-1

2. continue

else

go to next slide

hide= textcaption_230

problem is:

once a user click on submit without entering any on the TEB..it executes the above action. then once user writes on TEB then clicking submit it does nothing.

but if user writes on TEB then clicking submit (write first before click submit).. everything is well.

im using CP 5.5

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Hi again,

Here is a screenshot of the Timeline of slide 3 (only slide I adapted):

FSC.PNG

To avoid that the user clicks on the Submit button before the pausing point of the TEB is reached (which causes issues), the TEB timeline is now starting only very little time before the end of the audio. This means that the blank input box and the Submit button will only then be visible.

I shortened too much timelines, it is not really necessary to shorten all the Text captions beneath the click boxes. It is just th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2012 Apr 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you posted this in a comment on my blog as well?

Do you expect the user to return to the slide? If not, you do not need to hide the TC in the Else section. If yes, I would prefer to set an On Enter action for the slide to hide that Text Caption.

My advanced action is functional:

TEBCheck.png

No need to add Continue, playhead will be released by the Submit button, that is why you need to rewind.

The Else action has only the statement 'Go to Next Slide'. Beware about my remarks about hiding the TC in the start of this answer,

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nice.. I have no problem with the TC... an option to go back to previous is on.. so I need to hide the TC again on slide exit. my problem is the TEB.

scenario: TEB display (blank)..user click submit without writing anything.. at this point, the slide does this.

show TC

and execute expression (like yours above)

then, user write something on the TEB then clicking submit.

this time the slide does nothing..it does not execute the else function.. else has this "go to the next slide"

what could be the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait a minute: you are talking about 'On Exit'? I triggered this advanced action by the TEB, perhaps I misunderstand your remark?

Please never use the On Exit action, it will not be executed in this case because you are jumping to another slide, so the last frame of the slide is never reached, which means that the On Exit action is not executed. That is why I suggested to hide the TC on entering this slide.

I double checked my example again, it works perfectly. Here is the timeline:

TEBCheckbis.png

There must be another reason, if you trigger this action by the TEB, which means that clicking submit will execute the action.

Lilybiri

PS: the top most Text Caption here is to debug, I'm watching variables rdinfoCurrentFrame and MCQ1Answer in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here some few actual pic

Else

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No pictures visible, please use the small still camera icon in the toolbar to insert your pictures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii254/leslhanl/else.jpg

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii254/leslhanl/action.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not use Continue in the THEN portion.

And please, do not put the Hide after the Jump. I tried to tell you it will be a lot better to assign it On Enter.

You call this action 'TextArea', are you perhaps not using a TEB but a TextArea widget?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, I will put on the TC hide on enter.

but I tried the action without the cotinue, still doesnt work.

its a TEB, not a text area widget.

the TEB seems to work fine IF the user click on the submit after the TEB has been filled. but if the user click on submit before writing..then click again the submit..the slide gets stucked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you trigger this action? I really am puzzled, this works perfectly for me. Are there other interactive objects on your slide? And did you uncheck the 'Validate option' for the TEB. Perhaps post a screenshot of the Properties of the TEB: General, Action and Option accordions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii254/leslhanl/layout-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two click boxes on the slide, but I do not see the pausing points, nor the TEB pausing point (I presume the selected object is the TEB?). It has the same label as its associated variable (would never do that, identical labels cause a lot of issues, but think it is OK here because the default variables has also the same name). Do never put interactive objects in the same place on the stage; where are those click boxes? Your issue could be linked with those, they are also higher in the stack of the timeline. Drag the TEB to the top of the timeline, and the Click boxes and show me the pausing points of the three of them.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii254/leslhanl/pausingpoints.jpg

pausing points

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can go on for a long time like this. I just inserted two click boxes in my example on top of the TEB, and everything is still OK. What are those CB's doing, I suppose they are on top of the buttons bottom left? Do they trigger something, because their active region is there while the TEB has its active region. Can I have access to your file? You could post it on acrobat.com (with your Adobe ID), then share and publish it and send me the link by private message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the first click box has an action to go to slide 1

the 2nd click box has an action to go back to previous once clicked

the 3rd has no click box. since the submit button of the TEB does it (go to next slide)

the problem is " when the user click submit button without filling up the TEB" which is equal to v_null..it executes the action statement.. but when the user insert text on TEB and clicking the submit again ( for the 2nd time). the slide gets stucked.

the TEB works if you write on TEB then click submit.   this is running..my fear is when the user make a mistake by clicking submit first before writing on TEB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am not removing the continue action and hide TC

putting the TEB on top of everthing in the timelines..i will give update once tested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

update:

with: TEB on top, continue removed, hide TC on else funtion removed.

tried also removing the pausing point of CBs

the problem is still their.

once slide enter then TEB appears.. clicking submit button without any text inside the TEB box then write then click submit again..the slide does nothing..doesnt execute the else function which is go to the next slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot think of anything else, because I cannot reproduce your issue: have inserted Click boxes with the same functionality and for me everything works great.

That is why I asked if I could have access to your slide (no need to give me the whole project, just this slide,  perhaps with the one before and after to have the functionality of the click boxes).

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2012 May 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PM sent Madam. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2012 May 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think I figured it out: replace the Expression in the THEN part with:

Expression rdcmndGotoFrameAndResume = rdinfoCurrentFrame - 1

And make the timelines of the TEB and the two click boxes 0,1sec shorter so that they do not touch the end of the slide timeline. I cannot explain why this solves the issue, frustrated. If I can find the reason, will be back. Two of the timelines in slide 3 had the red triangle that means that they are tied to the end of the slide. When I broke that link it worked.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2012 May 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried this but it seems not working for me OR i might not understood the procedure.

1. And make the timelines of the TEB and the two click boxes 0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It means you just drag the end of the TEB objects on the timeline a little to the left so that they do not reach right to the last frame of the slide.  There should be a small gap of one or two tenths of a second between where the TEB object ends and the slide ends.  If your TEB object on the timeline shows a red arrow, you have not done this properly.

TEB_NotToEnd.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh no, I did that already huhuhu.. still not working..wait, I will make a test again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, have deleted my changes to your file but will reconstruct it for slide 3 and upload to Acrobat and send you the link. I think that the timeline will best be refurbished, because if you do not wait long enough, until the pausing point of the TEB is really reached, it will not work. Why do you make timelines that long after the audio? I inserted a Text Caption with the system variable rdcmndCurrentFrame. If you wait to type or click Submit until this variable has reached the pausing point, everything works fine (after you made the end of the timelines of the 3 interactive objects 0,1sec shorter).

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii254/leslhanl/frame.jpg

here it is, a little shorter.. and using " Expression rdcmndGotoFrameAndResume = rdinfoCurrentFrame - 1"

still the same problem:

once TEB appears, click submit first before typing in the TEB..once done filling up the TEB then click submit..the TEB does nothing.

but does work if "TEB appears then fill up the TEB then click submit"

conditional actions

perform action if "all conditions are true"

v_textarea1 is equal to v_null

actions

Expression rdcmndGotoFrameAndResume = rdinfoCurrentFrame - 1

show text_Caption_230

else

go to the next slide      (this doesnt work)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources