Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CAPTIVATE 3 SCORM COURSES DESIGNED FOR INTRANET DO NOT RUN THE SAME ON INTERNET

New Here ,
May 04, 2012 May 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Afternoon,

We have a client with about 700 elearning courses that were developed using Captivate 3 for their homegrown intranet-based LMS.  These same courses, which ran just fine on their old system now are not working quite as well on their new, internet-based SaaS LMS.  The new LMS is fully SCORM compliant.  Also, the new LMS company has many other clients running courses created with Captivate 3 working just fine.

Some of the issues we are seeing when uploading the files to the new LMS are:  bookmarking not working consistently if at all, auto-close not working as it did on the intranet-based LMS, Captivate close button doesn't work at all, button count being sent to the score area of XML. 

I have seen posts regarding some of these issues and they all point to something the developer of the course needs to do.  The developer is saying "no" - they ran fine on their old system and both the developer and customer are looking to the new LMS provider to come up with a solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2012 May 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every LMS is different.  Even SCORM-compliant LMSs do some things differently.

So the fact that the client's old LMS had no issues with the particular settings that these courses used, does not mean their next LMS must of necessity do likewise.  The reason there are so many options and settings in the SCORM area of Captivate is due to the fact that you usually have to experiment to find the combination of settings that work with a particular LMS.  In effect, you have to 'tune' the content for the LMS.

So, like it or not, changing the LMS will definitely require some adjustments, and there are limitations to what the LMS vendor can do.

I would suggest to your client that they try plugging their courses into SCORM Cloud to see what the diagnostics there show up.  If their content works perfectly on SCORM Cloud without issue, they'll have a better case to present to the LMS vendor than saying their "home grown" LMS handled it OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod, that you for your input.  Answer was a little more general than I was looking for.  Do you have any suggestions for what I might look for regarding the specific problems I mentioned (i.e. bookmarking, auto-close not working, x in playbar not working, button count showing up in the score area of XML?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jackie

Two of those issues are likely caused by the same thing. Auto-close and the Exit button in the playbar. More information on that is offered at the link below.

Click here to view

My own guess on those issues is that the window presenting the course is now being opened in a different manner than it was in the other LMS.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources