• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page numbers in Word TOC not correct; have to open doc and update

Explorer ,
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RoboHelp HTML 9 and Word 2010.

I generate a Word doc (.docx) as one of my outputs. The Word TOC works -- that is, if I Ctrl-Click one of the items in the TOC, I'm taken to that item.

A user just came up to me asking why the page numbers are off. Here's what I see.

I use SSL to generate the Word doc.

In the TOC, I look for the topic "Setting Up Comments." It's listed as being on page 30.

I Ctrl-Click that TOC item and it takes me to the topic, but when I look at the footer, it says this is page 28.

If I go back to the TOC, right-click, and choose "Update page numbers only", Word updates the TOC, which now shows the correct page number, page 28.

In other words, generating my printed doc is now a multi-step process:

1. Use SSL to generate the Word doc.
  2. Open the Word doc and update the TOC.
  3. Save the Word doc.

Shouldn't the TOC be right the first time around? Am I forgetting to do something?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very occasionally I have seen people report this before.

Check to see if it is all projects or just this one. I suspect the latter in which case all I can suggest is creating a new print layout, not a duplicate.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since we have only one project here at the moment, I opened the RH sample Employee Care project. I used the Printed Documentation Location Based US layout.

The topic Contacting Human Resources is listed as page 20 in the TOC, but when I go to that topic using Ctrl-Click, the footer says page 15.

If I update the TOC, the TOC now says page 23. If I go to that page using Ctrl-Click, the footer says 23.

In other words, it seems to be a problem in the RoboHelp sample.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your example was not the best, many chapters have such a topic. However, I am seeing issues there.

In another project I am finding the page numbers correct so I will need to do some more digging.

Meantime, given the problem can be recreated using the sample, you should report it as a bug.

Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I may have identified the problem here but it will take more testing.

If you create a new project with some simple topics, I think you will find the numbering is correct.

In your project, are you mapping to the Style Mapping template? If so, make a copy of your project and in that trash the template so that RoboHelp has to copy a new one in. See if that is any different.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very strange, and I might try it again later today if I have time.

As you suspected, if I create a new project, everything works fine.

I made a copy of my project and deleted the Style Mapping template I was using (I had edited the original RH template and renamed it).

Then I opened my project by double-clicking the .xpj file in that directory, just to make sure I was opening the correct project.

When I used my Printed Documentation layout, it asked me to locate a Style Mapping template. I navigated to the one from the new proejct, which was working fine in that project.

I still had the same problem!

My workaround: I found a Word macro that will regenerate the TOC. I just added those steps to the macro I'm already using to add page numbers.

I'd be curious if anyone else is having the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your existing project try creating a new print layout, not a duplicate of the current print layout.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my existing ("real") project, I created a new layout. For the mapping doc, I used the StyleMapping.dot file that was created when I created a new project (May 9, 2012 11:19 am). 

Same result:

1. I picked a topic in the TOC that is supposed to be on page 20. When I used Ctrl-Click to go there, the footer told me I was on page 18.
  2. I updated the TOC. The same topic is now listed as being on page 18. When I used Ctrl-Click to go there, the footer told me I was on page 18. In other words, now the TOC page number and the page number listed in the footer of the page containing the topic are the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rats!

I will poke around some more when I get a chance but for now there's nothing else to suggest. I will also be reporting this to Adobe. However, you should do the same.

The more people who report a bug or request a feature, the more likely it is to be actioned. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did report it, as you suggested. If no one else is experiencing this bug, don't poke around on my account. I've got a workaround (update the TOC either manually or using a macro), so it's not halting progress.

Thanks so much for your help, Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp