21 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2012 8:26 AM by Noel Carboni RSS

5d Mark III support when?

Thyg0d Community Member

I'm fully aware that this is just a release candidate but that should be close to perfect..
      I also fully understand the issue with being first off the line and get the latest camera.

But this is the second release of CR that doesn't support the 5DIII and it's getting pretty anoying
      having to use Canon DPP to convert every single picture to TIF just to be able to work with them...
      It also takes up a lot of extra space on the hard drive..

It can't come as a surprise to Adobe that Canon was about to release the 5DIII

nor can it have come as a surprise that the RAW format would be different?
      Or am I just being naive thinking that the largest photorelated companies in the
      world isn't talking to each other??

Check out the comparisons... They're pretty massive flaws in the CR picture on the left..
      It just feels strange that Adobe would miss this before they put out even a release candidate.

This isn't isolated to just Camera Raw.. I get the exact same result in DNG converter..
      So obviously it doesn't convert the RAW data correctly...

Anyone else experiencing this?

comparison.jpg

• 1. Re: 5d Mark III support when?
          adriana ohlmeyer Adobe Employee

What are the settings for noise reduction in DPP and ACR?

• 2. Re: 5d Mark III support when?
            Thyg0d Community Member

Completely standard.. The picture is SOC..
            I've tried to add noise reduction in CR but it doesn't help...
            I've also deinstalled 5.1 and 6 trial and reinstalled after I've rebooted but the issue remains..

• 3. Re: 5d Mark III support when?
              JimHess MVP

For the most part, Adobe and Canon DON'T communicate.  As far as Canon is concerned Lightroom is just another program that's out there.  Adobe has to wait until the camera is available.  Then they have to acquire one and take the test shots so that they can create their camera profiles.  It's not just you and your new Canon, it's every new model from every camera manufacturer.

• 4. Re: 5d Mark III support when?
                Thyg0d Community Member

*lol* Okay... so I was a bit naive then... =D
                I actually thought both companies wanted their product to show off the best they could
                and therefore helped out each other..

• 5. Re: 5d Mark III support when?
                  ssprengel MVP

What I see is a CR2 from a 5D.3 that is high ISO, and processed with too much sharpness, too little sharp-masking, and/or too little luminance noise-reduction, perhaps none. 

DPP will use the camera settings for NR because it is a Canon raw processor that understands the camera-embedded settings. 

The Adobe raw processor doesn’t know anything about the camera settings so you have to set things, yourself, and defaults once you settle on a common starting point for your edits.

• 6. Re: 5d Mark III support when?
                    Thyg0d Community Member

I totally agree with you.. It looks like it..
                    This picture is shot @ ISO 100 1/1000s F/3.5 and nothing has been added or changed..
                    It's the same CR2/RAW file, the DPP one is just converted in DPP to TIF..
                    The noise reduction in the camera is disabled since I use Topaz DeNoise which give me more control..
                    If I check the EXIF data CR can read and understand it's a Canon 5DIII with a 16-35 L II USM lens at 35mm and so on so I think
                    it understands the data/settings coming from the camera...

• 7. Re: 5d Mark III support when?
                      adriana ohlmeyer Adobe Employee

Can you post the original raw file, please? If you prefer, you can send it to me on email aohlmeye@adobe.com.

• 8. Re: 5d Mark III support when?
                        Jeff Schewe Community Member

Thyg0d wrote:

This picture is shot @ ISO 100 1/1000s F/3.5 and nothing has been added or changed..

Not for nothing but the ACR rendered image looks a lot like the ACR Grain has been applied (it has the same sort of film grain look that the FX panel adjustments can do) and not really like "noise". You might want to check to make sure the grain hasn't been added by mistake...the easiest way would be to reset the ACR "Defaults" back to normal and then make sure the image is set to the normal ACR Defaults. BTW, I've never seen any 100 ISO image look like that through ACR or LR...

• 9. Re: 5d Mark III support when?

I downloaded some sample 5D MIII files from Metro DC Photo and I can't reproduce your very grainy/noisy renderings in ACR 7.1.

• 10. Re: 5d Mark III support when?
                            RASouthworth Community Member

The March dpreview preview of the 5D Mark III has several raw images processed thru ACR 6.7, all with no apparent problems.

Richard Southworth

• 11. Re: 5d Mark III support when?
                              Noel Carboni Community Member

That would be disappointing to say the least, but I can assure you that the result you're showing isn't happening everywhere.

I just downloaded a raw file from DPReview, converted it through the 7.1RC and found nothing like what you showed above.

Can you screen grab your settings and show them here please?

-Noel

• 12. Re: 5d Mark III support when?
                                Thyg0d Community Member

Okay...
                                I've got several on G+ saying the same that it works for them so obviously something is left behind
                                even after deinstall, reboot and manual folder delete... Probably a registry key..
                                Those are harder to find...
                                Is there any way to completely reset all the setting in Camera Raw??
                                I mean really default everything as if it was never used before?

I've removed the cache and such but that obviously doesn't help with settings...
                                checked the Presets window in Camera raw but it's completely empty so it shouldn't
                                be anything there..

• 13. Re: 5d Mark III support when?
                                  ssprengel MVP

If you open the little menu accessible by clicking on the 3-dots-3-lines icon at the right of the title bar of the tabbed area at the right, for example to the right of the word Basic when you’re on the first tab, at the bottom of that menu there is an item that says something like Reset Camera Raw Defaults.  That will change the defaults back to “factory” settings, erasing anything you may have accidentally enabled.

Another thing would be to upload a copy of your file to www.dropbox.com  and post the public download link to the file, here, so others can try it.

• 14. Re: 5d Mark III support when?

Before you try to nuke the problem by a complete reset you should go thru each of the ACR tabs and note the settings, particularly for fx per Jeff's suggestion (one can create the same effect as you are showing with fx).  It would be better to unerstand what caused the difficulty before wiping it out.

Richard Southworth

• 15. Re: 5d Mark III support when?

Doesn't prove anything, but just curious to see how well I could duplicate the left hand pane by using fx on the right hand side, attached is my best match using fx settings 45-25-50, top to bottom, in ACR 7.1.

Richard Southworth

image_45_25_50.jpg

• 16. Re: 5d Mark III support when?
                                        Thyg0d Community Member

@ssprengel

Cool.. I'll check it out tonight when I get home...
                                        It has got to be something I enabled... Just thought it would go away if I reinstalled it but obviously not..
                                        Guessing it's a good thing if you need to reinstall 'cause something broke but yet get to keep all your settings..

@RASouthworth
                                        The thing is that everything should be standard I've never added any effects or presets or anything like it..
                                        That's why it's so strange to me.. But I'll check it out once more..

Thanks everybody for you help!

• 17. Re: 5d Mark III support when?
                                          Thyg0d Community Member

Okay... Now I've checked...
                                          Under Presets the window is totally empty.. Up in the right corner there was a little menu button just as ssprengel said..

Under there was a Reset Camera Raw defaults...Pressed it, nothing changed.. Moved the check mark from
                                          Image settings to Camera Raw Defaults, no change..
                                          Pressed Camera Raw Defaults again and low and behold... The frikkin' image was back to normal...
                                          :-O
                                          WTF was that about?? But then again...
                                          It works now.. If it happens again I know what to do..
                                          Really strange I hade to changed it and press defaults twice before it took.. :-o

Thanks alot for everybody'ss help!!!

• 18. Re: 5d Mark III support when?

How powerful is your computer?  Is it possible you were expecting it to update instantly, when in fact it took long enough to reinterpret your image and put up the display so as to seem like it took two tries?

5D Mark III files are pretty big, and even with a happenin' computer the previews for these files take a little while to come up.

-Noel

• 19. Re: 5d Mark III support when?

Thyg0d wrote:

Pressed Camera Raw Defaults again and low and behold... The frikkin' image was back to normal...

I'm glad you got it figured out...BTW do you also use Lightroom? I ask because both ACR & LR share the exact same per camera "Default" so if you change it in LR it will also change it in ACR. So if you had used the LR4 beta for example and altered the Defaults it would have also changed the ACR 7.1 Defaults...

• 20. Re: 5d Mark III support when?
                                                Thyg0d Community Member

@Noel Carboni
                                                It's a Intel i7 (quad core) with 16 gigs of ram and 4gb video ram so it isn't the slowest on the market...
                                                Otherwise it would have been a correct assumption.. I've been doing a few panoramic HDR's which grow to 3-4Gb
                                                easily so that's the reason for the overkill on tech specs..

@Jeff Schewe

I have used LR 4 just to test it out but deinstalled it 'cause I was missing the layers..
                                                Used PS for way to long... Old dogs and learning new tricks you know..

But yeah... perhaps something changed there... It was a while back this problem surfaced so..

• 21. Re: 5d Mark III support when?

Overkill?  I don't think there is such a thing with computers.    But yours sounds like a very nice system.

Anyway, it's good that you're now able to use Camera Raw with your files.

-Noel